• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AT : Pummel Gimp

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
EDIT : looks like there's a similar thread I didn't see just below. Whoops sorry.
Anyway I'll use this thread to compile every information about that technique.

GRAB FALLING / PUMMEL GIMPING

How to do it :
1-Dash grab someone when near the ledge
2-pummel instantly on grab (an easy way to do it is to press the grab button twice when dash grabbing)
IMPORTANT : you have to be pummeling when your slide reaches the ledge, so it won't work if the opponent is too close or too far from the ledge.
4-now you're grab releasing your opponent while falling offstage.

Live match example : http://gfycat.com/OptimalSlimDikkops

Now some rules :
  • It doesn't work if your opponent's feet don't normally touch the ground if you grab them
    [collapse="list of characters that WON'T fall"]
    :4mario::4luigi::4drmario::4yoshi::4bowserjr::4wario2::4tlink::4gaw::4kirby::4metaknight::4jigglypuff::4pikachu::4villager::4ness::4olimar:
    [/collapse]
  • It doesn't work on slanted down edges like Lylat Cruise or Yoshi's Island (Brawl).
  • Aside from that it works on every other edge be it normal, slanted up, and even platforms if they are long enough
  • When you fall you and your opponent can drift right and left during the "grab release" animation and how far down you go depends on your falling speed, meaning that if you play against a character that falls faster than you (like Fox or Sheik) you'll end up above them, and if your opponent is a floaty like Peach or Samus they'll end up above you
  • Sometimes you'll be able to slide off the edge without pummeling, I don't know why but I know that if you pummel you'll slide 100% of the time.

That's it, it may work with other characters, but Falcon's dash grab slide goes so far it's clearly the easiest.

Last edited:

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
This seems like a useful tactic indeed! Come to think of it, I remember accidentally doing that once before, and i just stood there, confused, as my opponent fell too far before he realised what had happened xD Weirdest KO ever!

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I'm not 100% sure of the frame advantage but my instincts tell me they are similar to Brawl and in Brawl you had a 1 frame advantage on grab release, I'll test it tonight.

And yes your opponent can footstool you if you're not fast enough. You can't be footstooled if you do an aerial though.

Sakelig

Smash Rookie
pretty sure this was on the 3ds version too, but u couldnt do it on characters that didnt have their feet on the ground while in the grab.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
You're completely right, I'm editing the op with those informations + the things I gathered from the other thread.
Hilariously Bowser Jr doesn't work because it's not his feet that touch the ground but his koopa car.

Lionman

Smash Champion
I noticed this mechanic when i played in 3DS, im not sure about the Frame Advantage, sometimes i got footstooled doing this, btw nobody expects that move.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yeah my bad, after thorough testing it seems like ground release now gives 0 frame advantage. Fixed the OP

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
I went and tested which characters seem to end up below falcon, and this is the list:
Diddy Kong
Bowser
Sheik
Fox
Falco
Greninja

Luckily there are at least 3-4 characters in this list who are currently seen as 'top-tier,' making this knowledge more applicable and useful.

Then there were characters who seemed to not exactly fall below falcon but not above him either. Since the frame advantage is 0, I don't know which character would successfully footstool the other in scenarios where each are falling more or less even with each other. I was testing just in training mode against computers, so I don't know what happens if each player spams jump in order to jump as soon as possible in this scenario. So you should definitely attempt pummel-gimping on the following characters with much caution/recklessness, since I have no idea who footstools whom:
Link
ZSS
Falcon
Mega Man
Mii Brawler

I have a feeling that the pummel-gimp tech is a prime candidate for being eliminated in the next patch, so I guess let's enjoy it while it lasts.
EDIT: just an additional note for anyone having trouble with this: I found more success with grabbing them as late as possible, I guess because that starts falcon's slide later, which in effect gives him more momentum going into the end of the stage.

Last edited:

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
I don't know how useful it would be, but for the characters that fall below, do they fall low enough where you could Raptor Boost spike? I know that would kill you, but Falconcide could end a match. (Unless you get some sort of mobility back after actually hitting with aerial Raptor Boost) Or just in general, how far off stage does this bring you? could you HYES! them to death then use the resulting gained Falcon Dive to get back on stage? Since we would be alongside people we'd already be in position to HYES I think.

Last edited:

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
I don't know how useful it would be, but for the characters that fall below, do they fall low enough where you could Raptor Boost spike? I know that would kill you, but Falconcide could end a match. (Unless you get some sort of mobility back after actually hitting with aerial Raptor Boost) Or just in general, how far off stage does this bring you? could you HYES! them to death then use the resulting gained Falcon Dive to get back on stage? Since we would be alongside people we'd already be in position to HYES I think.
only a few of them, i'd say, are low enough to even think about doing raptor boost. Those are sheik, fox, falco, and maybe greninja. For both followups (upB and raptor boost) that you're describing, i'd imagine that their jump would get them out of the way faster than those moves could even start up. I'm just picturing this in my head though. I could see the upB having a better chance at working just since you could maybe catch them after they've jumped, but again I'm not currently testing this out. Maybe I'll try it later, or you could give it a shot in training mode.

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
I dunno if training mode would be the best place to test that, since a lot of the possibilities of this, at least how I see if, come from the suprise. If they are still registering it just happening for at least a tiny bit of once they are free, they might not react in time. Another thing I was wondering (can't test, am in school) is if you jump immediately after release could you get out a fast dair spike? I haven't gotten this trick yet myself so I am unsure how far off ledge this gets you.

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
I dunno if training mode would be the best place to test that, since a lot of the possibilities of this, at least how I see if, come from the suprise. If they are still registering it just happening for at least a tiny bit of once they are free, they might not react in time. Another thing I was wondering (can't test, am in school) is if you jump immediately after release could you get out a fast dair spike? I haven't gotten this trick yet myself so I am unsure how far off ledge this gets you.
I agree that training mode is not optimal, I just didn't have anyone to test it with when I was looking for who falls below and who falls above. I also agree that this AT is good as sort of a game-1 surprise, since I imagine a lot people don't yet know about it, and it seems to be exclusive to captain falcon. But, the dair spike is not exactly viable for just that reason. Because the falling grab release is probably going to catch your opponent off guard, their initial reaction is going to be just to jump as soon as possible. Therefore, I don't see dair working too well, since both of you can (and probably will) only jump at the same time (since it's frame advantage 0).

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
What about a knee? Aren't you in perfect position to knee if they are literally right in front of you? Even after jumping

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
This seems like a useful tactic indeed! Come to think of it, I remember accidentally doing that once before, and i just stood there, confused, as my opponent fell too far before he realised what had happened xD Weirdest KO ever!
Yeah I do this from time to time vs spacies. I dint recommend it vs anyone floaty though because they'll footstool you

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
What about a knee? Aren't you in perfect position to knee if they are literally right in front of you? Even after jumping
For those characters who fall even with you, potentially. Again, you have to remember that both you and your opponent are able to act at the same time. My guess is that their jump starts faster than knee, but once more I'm just picturing this in my head. Also, the pummel gimp drops you down far enough to where I could see knee securing your own death instead of theirs. You could give it a shot though, cause it sounds like a super flashy way to win.
EDIT: actually, I just realized that the OP also mentions: "When you fall you and your opponent can drift right and left during the "grab release" animation." So, if your opponent knows this or even accidentally does it, that shoots any shot at landing the knee.

Last edited:

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
This is true, but it does get us in close, which can make it easier to maneuver with knee positioning. I was thinking post jump knee as well, depending on positioning.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yeah unless they stay 3 seconds without reacting you can't really knee someone you just released.

What you can do though is jump back towards the ledge and knee, and if their first reflex is to jump towards the stage they'll get hit. It's just a read and not reliable, but if you want to be flashy it's either that or jump back Dair. And if you don't wanna be flashy then get the hell out of these boards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom