• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assistance appreciated

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
Need some assistance from people more tech-savvy than myself.

Whenever my computer boots up and I logon I get an error message telling me something is wrong with my explorer. Then my explorer shuts down, leaving me with a black screen. When I boot up in Safe mode this doesn't happen. Anyone have a notion as to the problem. I'm thinking it's a memory issue, but how do I remedy it?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I tried working through the task manager, but anytime I try to run something with it it crashes.

If you can't help me withthis, could you at least help me turn on the sound in Safe mode?

Jammer

Smash Lord
Well, I don't have a clue what's going on with explorer. Sorry. I guess you could back up your files, reinstall Windows, and restore it, because it sounds like something has been corrupted. Possibly you have a virus, which wouldn't be able to start when you start in safe mode.

But don't bother trying to get sound in safe mode. Safe mode is made for fixing things, not doing normal stuff. It doesn't start most of the services on purpose, so that nothing can go wrong. You're going to have more than trouble with sound if you want to have a normal experience with Windows in safe mode.

Can you get to your desktop at all? If not, I don't see any way to fix it besides just reinstalling everything. If you can, do a virus scan. Viruses often corrupt files that would do things like making explorer not work. I suggest AVG free edition, although any virus scanner these days are pretty ineffective.

I'd tell you to just use Linux if I wasn't too sophisticated to say that.

plshrk729

Smash Cadet
actually, if it says something around an EXPLORE RUN-TIME ERROR, then if u hav google toolbar installed, delete it. google toolvar has that effect sometimes, i had the same problem. so just go to add/remove programs and look for the google toolbar, or other toolbars for that matter if u dont need them.

GOTM

Smash Champion
ive actually heard of the google toolbar causing something like this, that might solve the problem after getting rid of it.

if you go into task manager and run explorer.exe, does it still error after everything comes back up?

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
Well, I don't have a clue what's going on with explorer. Sorry. I guess you could back up your files, reinstall Windows, and restore it, because it sounds like something has been corrupted. Possibly you have a virus, which wouldn't be able to start when you start in safe mode.

But don't bother trying to get sound in safe mode. Safe mode is made for fixing things, not doing normal stuff. It doesn't start most of the services on purpose, so that nothing can go wrong. You're going to have more than trouble with sound if you want to have a normal experience with Windows in safe mode.

Can you get to your desktop at all? If not, I don't see any way to fix it besides just reinstalling everything. If you can, do a virus scan. Viruses often corrupt files that would do things like making explorer not work. I suggest AVG free edition, although any virus scanner these days are pretty ineffective.

I'd tell you to just use Linux if I wasn't too sophisticated to say that.
Well it isn't a virus according to my scans. I've got it working again, for now, though. Thanks for the help.

actually, if it says something around an EXPLORE RUN-TIME ERROR, then if u hav google toolbar installed, delete it. google toolvar has that effect sometimes, i had the same problem. so just go to add/remove programs and look for the google toolbar, or other toolbars for that matter if u dont need them.
I'll try that. Thanks.

Re-install Explorer and tell us what happened...

better yet, try installing Fire Fox and don't tell us what happened, because it should work ;)
I'm talking about my explorer, as in my desktop. Not Internet Explorer.

ive actually heard of the google toolbar causing something like this, that might solve the problem after getting rid of it.

if you go into task manager and run explorer.exe, does it still error after everything comes back up?
Yeah, that's actually how I managed to get it to work again, for now. I had to do it like five times, though. I kept getting the same error everytime I ran it in Task Manager, but eventually it stopped.

internet exploder lol

install opera or Firefox. both great browsers.

http://www.opera.com/

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

i suggest opera but that is just personal preference
Once again, I'm not talking about internet explorer.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Re-install Explorer and tell us what happened...

better yet, try installing Fire Fox and don't tell us what happened, because it should work ;)
internet exploder lol

install opera or Firefox. both great browsers.

http://www.opera.com/

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

i suggest opera but that is just personal preference
Oh man guys--both of you thought The Adder was talking about IE.

I must say that I'm rather disappointed. It's not like you two to make mistakes like that.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
...Eight Sage, Windows has an actual process called explorer. That's why when Microsoft made an internet browser, they called it Internet explorer.

So yes, it is very common to call it explorer, because that's what its name is.

However, why the hell do you keep saying "Operative System". They're called Operating Systems, nobody says Operative. It just sounds silly.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
Alt Windows has many things called Explorer: Process Explorer, Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer...

And about the OS, I like to call it that way because System could be many things (like the "explorer" example).

However, this has nothing to do with the topic. Adder just Print-Screen, store the image and then show it to us.... (From what you say, I guess it has something to do with the boot loader or some Library on the
System32 folder, but I need the message in order to discover the source of the problem)

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
Like I said, for now it has stopped, if it occurs again I'll try to get it to you, but the only way I'm able to get online when that happens is through safe mode, so I don't see how I'll be able to.

Dark Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Neoshade
IF this happens again, as a temporary solution:

1. open task manager
2. click file >new task=run
3. Type Explorer.exe

Hope this will at least get you into windows if it happens again. Good Luck!

Sensai

Smash Master
Came in here to help, but commented to laugh out loud (lol, as the kids say) about those two (usually on the ball) computer geniuses thinking he meant Internet Explorer.

I have no idea...sorry...

Top Bottom