• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ASL Tool Troubles

210stuna

Smash Lord
Who here uses this tool?
I want to know how many other people have gotten this nifty thing to work.

I've seen it work on my own build, and I think it's great...Until it freezes.
I've been told by one other user that it can't be used with the RSBE (Replacement Sound Bank Engine) because it will freeze any stage you pick, and then I've asked Mewtwo, the creator of the tool, and he says he uses those two gizmos together and it works flawlessly. Regardless I'm having trouble.

I've had all my stages set to button configurations, but then I noticed how sensitive it is, so now I have all of them on random. Okay no big deal, I've followed the tutorial even with the lack of what not to do/watch out for in the video or in the "about" tab, any time it's freezes on me, I delete everything in my "codes" folder including the RSBE01.gct. to start over fresh.

I've downloaded the ASL Tool more than twice, I've downgraded my RSBE01.gct filled with different codes many times, and I'm now using the standard P:M2.6b RSBE01.gct that comes with the download thinking that nothing will interfere with the ASL Tool...WRONG.

This tool will read the stages 40% of the time, if that! What have I done wrong when it reads the stages one time, I'll re choose that stage after picking others, and 2, 4, 1 minute into the match it will freeze? It's not just 1 stage with the ASL tool loading more than one .pac, it's all of them.

I've come so close to being able to sleep tight knowing that all of them were working and then POOF it froze.
I've seen this wonderful thing load all of the added stages/.pacs I put into my "stage" folder individual, but at different times and situations one time or another it has frozen all of them, including the origianl STGXX_A.pac's

DL;DR: Who has gotten this thing to work?

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
Me, but you already know that xD

I've been thinking about it, and... maybe you got a bigger number of random loads than actual stages? I mean, if you have 'randoms: 5' and you only have stages A, B, C and D, when the random tries to load E, it will load the original from the disc. And if the rel doesn't match that one, it will freeze. Maybe it's that?

The best thing you can do is turning off the randoms and having only button activators. Have A with the A button (hold a while you select the stage and that one will always get loaded), have B with A+R (press r before holding a to select a stage), have C with A+L, and so. Maybe you find a certain stage to be freezing the game this way.

I don't usually use 2.6b cause I use the private alpha version, but what I use is still Project M, with RSBE and ASL, and even the stage expansion. I'm using ASL with STGCUSTOMS, STGFINAL, STGDOLPIC and a few others, and I've never get a freeze when loading a stage.

210stuna

Smash Lord
I've counted the number of letters (STG_X.pac) to put for the "randoms"
I've got 3 for STGBATTLEFIELD, 2 for STGPALUTENA, 2 for STGDXRCRUISE, and 12 for STGOLDIN.

Before using ASL I tested the stages individually on their respected slots that I'm trying to get them to work together now.
If anything the Battlefield stages should work perfectly, because you know the .rel hasn't been changed, but either way it can't be the .rels because I know they've worked before.

I use to have the simplest button activators. A, A + Y, and for Battlefield, A, A + Y, A + X. For the STGOLDIN I've never put button activators because of how many stages I have on it, and I've seen all these custom stages work at one time individually while using your ASL Tool, and now I use "random" for ever stages using a ASL .gct to reduce human error. Like I said in my OP it's totally random when it wants to freeze and I'm just about done with options. The last thing I'm going to do before giving up is using your 4x4 Battlefield custom .gct with your download to see if it will work if I switch it up for all my stages by using it more than 1 time.

Oh and this thing hasn't loaded the original with parts of the original stage with a black background or anything. It's always worked perfectly until 2, 3, or 4 minutes into a match and it will just freeze.

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
I got the thing to work for me. I have the Wuhu Island on Big Blue, and I use the d-pad pick and choose them (ABCD). I also have the sound bank engine working. Maybe you should defrag your SD card and see it that helps. I haven't had a problem with it, now the Stage Expansion thing is another story... :(

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
I get the same problem. The code works fine, but will randomly silent freeze the game, regardless if I'm actually playing on a stage that uses the code. I figured it has something to do with conflicting codes, since my codeset without the asl, which uses the same textures, doesn't freeze.

But if what mewtwo is saying is true, then maybe his wii is just special.

210stuna

Smash Lord
I've defraged it last night to no avail. Also Mewtwo did tell me it might be the order of codes, as a friend of mine told me the same thing when he couldn't get it to work.

Don't forget though, I'm using a standard P:M 2.6b RSBE01.gct & Mewtwo's ASL Tool nothing else besides the standard codes P:M 2.6b uses.

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
Hmm, that's really odd. My codeset at the moment consists of Project M 2.6 (not b), ASL for Bigblue, RSBE, and cBliss. The only thing that won't work for me is using the Stage Expansion code. I tried to add one stage to the first page, but it doesn't work. No freezes however. But that's off-topic.
Maybe the problem is 2.6b? Like I said, I don't have 2.6b installed, so I'm not entirely sure.

210stuna

Smash Lord
Well I no longer have my 2.6 build saved, but that's okay. By my understanding Mewtwo updated the ASL Tool based on his own build and not the general public's? Makes sense /sarcasm.

I've decided not to include into my build for the reason of it not being able to go through for me.
I'll wait for another update I guess.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
I updated the tool to better handle the ASL code. The ASL code was created by Dantarion, and the tool just helps customizing the stages so people don't need to count lines, or guess what number is what button combo.

So, I've not based the tool on my own codeset. I've based the tool on the ASL code, which hasn't changed at all in 2-3 years.

I'm using it with my own build flawlessly. And I used it flawlessly with 2.6 too. I don't happen to have downloaded 2.6b to test yet though.

turtletank

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious to know if ASL would allow me to load a stage with a rel alongside one without a rel, for example PM Norfair alongside vNorfair?

Top Bottom