• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Asked to post a new character concept here - Alexandra Roivas: Brings The Insanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

andsushi

Smash Rookie
Alright, so after seeing her pop up in several discussion recently, filling me with nostalgia, I had an idea for a new Smash character, and to go along with the character, I think I have an idea for a new, fun mechanic that she would be able to utilize. I asked about whether or not this community took new character ideas into serious consideration or not, and I was told by one of the SSBPM project representatives that you guys do, and that this would be the place to post what I've come up with. Keep in mind, I have no experience with software or coding, or anything like that, so if my ideas don't transfer well from concept to reality, I won't be too upset. That said, here's what I have:

Name:
Alexandra Roivas

Franchise Represented:
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (Gamecube)

I've never heard of "Eternal Darkness." What is it?
For the many of you who have probably never even heard of Eternal Darkness, it is Nintendo's first ever "M" rated game, as far as I am aware. It is heavily influenced by the works of the horror writer H.P. Lovecraft, delving into themes like insanity, eldtrich abominations, cults, and the horror and mysteries of the unknown. Although it remained obscure among the large franchises like Mario and Zelda, it was wildly popular among fans of the horror/mystery/thriller genre, and garnered a a huge cult following. It remains a unique game, with Nintendo having a copyright on the "Sanity" system within the game. A sequel has been planned for the Wii U, but remains on indefinite hiatus, as the company designing the new sequel is currently in bad financial shape.
If you'll allow me to add my own bit of worthless conjecture, Eternal Darkness was, hands down, my favorite Gamecube game, and remains one of my favorite video games, to date.

Does Nintendo own Eternal Darkness?
Yes, actually. The company Silicon Knights developed the game under a Nintendo contract (making it second-party, just like Pokemon and Xenoblade). Nintendo also owns the Intellectual Property, patents on various unique elements of the game, and funded the entire project.

Okay, well, who is Alexandra Roivas?
Alexandra (or Alex, for short) is the protagonist of Eternal Darkness. WIthout giving away any spoilers to the plot of the game, Alex is called to visit the estate, and help investigate the mysterious murder of her grandfather, Edward Roivas. Upon discovering a secret room in the mansion, containing a book called the Tome of Eternal Darkness, she discovers that there are horrors outside of our reality, manipulating our world, and ultimately ends up in a faceoff against the eldritch forces.

Why does Alexandra Roivas deserve a spot on the roster?
Eternal Darkness represents a genre untouched and unrepresented in Smash Bros - The horror/mystery/thriller genre. It is the first ever "M" rated Intellectual Property owned by Nintendo, and Alex is the main character of it. Further, although there were some significant additions in SM4SH, female characters are under represented in the series. Moreover, she would be a fighter that relied on a mixture of melee and magic based attacks, on top of the fact that her proposed "Sanity" mechanic could set her character apart as highly unique. Finally, even though she does not appear in Brawl in any form, her character design (face, hair, and body) is almost identical to ZSS, meaning a re-skin of ZSS with a black tank top, jeans, slightly darker hair, might be a good base to work from, mainly just having to add the gladius.

Possible Franchise Symbol
I actually found this through another user on these boards, also requesting this character, so credit goes to him for making and/or finding it. (note 1: she does have a sizable following, as seen by the multiple requests for her; note 2: Instead of just posting my support in the other poster's thread, besides the fact that it's on the SM4SH section of the site, my concept for Alex has a completely different moveset, with a possibly unique mechanic.)

Moveset
Alex's moveset will rely on close quarters physical attacks, as well as a variety of magical attacks, summons, and her unique "Sanity" mechanic. Anytime you see an attack named with a long, odd looking name (ex. Chattur'gha Bankorok Santak), the move will be accompanied by the appropriate spell casting sound clip from the game. The audio for these spells can be heard here (shortened versions of these spell incantations are also available).
Xel'lotath: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft_9unzXgDM&list=UUg82h-t8jxZr3hYx3U2VS7Q
Chattur'gha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jUXuIuWQ3g&list=UUg82h-t8jxZr3hYx3U2VS7Q
Ulyaoth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySXKnQMUVJg&list=UUg82h-t8jxZr3hYx3U2VS7Q
Mantorok: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcWw4vXrkMA&list=UUg82h-t8jxZr3hYx3U2VS7Q

Note: Honestly, I don't care if you decide to change up her melee moves, tilts, grabs, or whatever; I'm just really excited about her B specials (especially the Xel'lotath sanity mechanic and the summon creature ability).​
  1. Standard A: Horizontal Gladius strike.
  2. A + A + A Combo: Horizontal gladius strike, forward gladius stab, forward kick.
  3. Dash Attack: bottom to top diagonal gladius strike.
  4. A + Up Smash: Stabs gladius upward.
  5. A + Up Smash (Fully Charged): “Chattur’gha Bankorok Santak- protect self” – Same as regular Up Smash, however four small energy balls swirl around Alex, then follow the weapon strike upward, hitting the enemy. Each one that hits the enemy deals 2 damage with zero or very minimal knockback, and heals Alex 2 percentage points. This could also be used to send the projectiles upward to hit an enemy further in the air, in hopes of healing a few percentage points, if they contact. You can see the swirling energy balls about 31 seconds into this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYLqTuRZqMU
  6. A + Side Smash: Overhanded gladius strike with both hands. Press A again to follow up with a single handed backhand gladius strike.
  7. A + Side Smash (Fully Charged): Same as “A + Side,” but with a small magical burst effect.
  8. A + Down Smash: “Ulyaoth Bankorok Redgormor- Damage Field” – Alex kneels down and shoves her gladius into the ground. Glyphs appear on the ground, one right after the other on each side of Alex, shining small pillars of light upwards. Bottom of the light pillars have typical “smash” power, while the top of the light pillar only deals slight damage with no knockback. These may also shield Alex from projectiles, as long as they are up.
  9. A + Down Smash (Fully Charged): Same as “A+Down Smash” but ends with a burst of magical energy emanating out from Alex.
  10. Standard B: “(Chattur’gha/Ulyaoth/Xel’lotath/Mantorok) Antorbok Magormor- Enchant Weapon” – Alex will hold her gladius above her head as three glyphs appear on the ground around her, and from them colorful, electrical-looking streams of magic make their way up from the ground, to the gladius. Immediately, you’ll hear a voice and see a corresponding color to indicate which power you’re evoking. Simply releasing the B button and pressing it again will begin evoking a different power. The three most common, and probably in a fixed order will be Chattur’gha (Red), Ulyaoth (Blue), and Xel’lotath (Green). Very rarely a fourth color, Mantorok (Purple) will appear in the cycle, this being the most powerful. Fully charging each of these (which is completed when the voice finishes the incantation (“ “ Antorbok Magormor), respectively, gives Alex different benefits. You can see how the enchant item spell looks in this video, at about the 45 second mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLyJZCd5O5k
    1. Chattur’gha (Red) – Alex’s weapon glows red for a short duration of time and allows her weapon strikes to deal increased damage, and slightly increased knockback.
    2. Ulyaoth (Blue) – Alex’s weapon glows blue for a short duration of time. Any time Alex would use a physical attack, the attack is accompanied by one of a couple magical projectiles. Some of these projectiles may include a slight stun effect.
    3. Xel’lotath (Green) – Alex’s weapon glows green for a short duration of time. During this time, if Alex lands a physical attack on an opponent, the opponent will receive a green aura for a small period of time. While the opponent is effected by this aura, various “Sanity” effects will plague them. Only one or two of the following will happen before the sanity aura wears off. Also, please feel free to add your own suggestions to the sanity effects, as this is not intended to be a comprehensive list of possible "Sanity" ailments:
      1. A worm from the “Eternal Darkness” series (scaled down), will burst out from the ground just as an opponent reaches the height of his first jump, and will pull the opponent back toward the ground, forcefully.
      2. A void or vortex will quickly materialize in front of the effected opponent, a green hand or red claw will reach out from it, grab the opponent, and throw them in a random direction.
      3. The opponent shrinks in size for a small period of time.
      4. Small bugs will start appearing on the opponent, making him increasingly slower for a small period of time.
      5. Ghostly apparitions will quickly appear next to the opponent, attack, then disappear.
      6. Physical (A) attacks my strike in the opposite direction they were originally aimed at random times.
      7. Mist will enshroud the opponent for a brief period of time, causing obstruction of view.
      8. Opponent becomes surrounded by a swarm of flying insects (not to the point of obstructing his view) and continually takes small amounts of damages while fighting, for a short period of time.
      9. An item may appear, randomly, in the opponent’s hand. When used, instead of attacking the opponent stares at it for a brief period of time. Must be dropped.
      10. A second Alex Roivas may appear (from where the Alex player is standing) for a brief time, acting like a level 9 computer, but has no physical presence (cannot be hit, deal damage [thought it appears to be attacking], and will not slow down a character’s momentum if run into). Dissipates upon being hit.
      11. Opponent may slip on a puddle of blood.
      12. Opponent’s jump heights and fall speeds may rapidly speed up or slow down, in quick succession.
      13. The opponent’s damage percentage may read 999% for a few seconds.
    4. Mantorok (Purple) – Alex’s weapon glows purple for a short duration of time. During this time, Alex gains the abilities of all three other possible colors, simultaneously.
  11. Standard B (Air): Same as “Standard B” but Alex will float to the ground as the weapon becomes enchanted. The glyphs may appear, instead, in the air while she falls, since there is no ground.
  12. B + Up: “Transcend Space” – Three magical rings appear around Alex’s feet, one right after the other, then shoot upward in quick succession, making Alex disappear after the last ring. Alex will teleport and reappear in the indicated direction, much like Zelda or Mewtwo’s teleport. If Alex reappears close enough to an opponent, the opponent will receive slight damage with no knockback, but will be teleported, in the same fashion, to one of the four player starting zones (or higher up in the air above one of the aforementioned starting zones). Which of these zones they reappear at is determined at random. You can see the teleportation effect in this video, at the 4:55 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkLAoDE429A
  13. B + Up (Air): Same as “B + Up”
  14. B + Down: “Xel’lotath Tier Aretak – Summon Creature” – In a randomly determined cycle, Alex will summon either a Trapper, Bonethief, Gatekeeper, Zombie, Vampire, Horror, Guardian, and on very rare occasions the Xel’lotath Black Guardian. Alex may only summon one creature at a time, and once it is summoned, it acts independently of Alex, roaming the battlefield, itself. Each creature has a set amount of HP, and can be KO’d like a normal combatant, however, they will disappear on their own, after a short time, as well. Alex can kill these creatures, but the creatures have no effect on her. Here is a link with pictures and descriptions of each monster: http://eternaldarkness.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Enemies
    1. Zombie- Very slow, but with a long reach. A zombie’s regular swipe will deal a fair amount of damage and knockback, akin to a slightly less powerful smash attack.
    2. Trapper- Small and very fast. Trappers can also jump to reach a player, but not very high. If a player is touched by a trapper, the trapper will immediately disappear, dealing a quick burst of damage and teleporting the opponent that it touched to (or above) one of the four player starting zones on the stage (same as the effect detailed in “Up + B”).
    3. Bonethief- Very quick, can jump fairly high, and will attack for small amounts of damage with its claws. Bonethief will pursue and attempt to “possess” an opponent by burrowing into them. If a player becomes possessed he will become stunned and take a considerable amount of damage.
    4. Gatekeeper- Fairly quick, and will float around in the air. If a player enters the air (through jumping, knockback, etc.)in the vicinity of the Gatekeeper, the Gatekeeper will flare out its wings, quickly move toward the opponent, and stab them with its tail.
    5. Vampire- Will follow a player around, occasionally attacking with its claws. However, the vampire’s gaze will constantly drain health from the opponent it is locked onto.
    6. Horror- Large enemy with average speed and jump. Hits with very powerful attacks and can sometimes cause a “sanity aura” effect on opponents it damages.
    7. Guardian- Will rarely move around the battlefield, but will cast powerful magical attacks to anyone who comes close to it. If damaged, it will quickly transform into a ball of light and fly to another location, damaging any opponents the ball of light hits along the way.
    8. Xel’lotath’s Black Guardian- On very, very rare occasions a scaled down version of Xel’lotath’s Black Guardian will appear. XBG is very fast and very powerful. When not attacking physically it will have several other attacks: 1) Fires green exploding projectiles. 2) Charges up a green ball of energy in each of its four hands then fires out all four streams simultaneously. Each meets in the middle and forms one larger stream. The stream attaches to an opponent’s head, slowing them down and rapidly dealing damage. The opponent may try to break free. 3. XBG will spread out two arms, then will clap his other two hands together, above his head. A pillar of green energy will quickly materialize around an opponent and shoot upward. The opponent has a very small dodge window for this attack. XBG has a significant amount of HP, and when attacked will recite one of the following lines from the Black Guardian boss battles in Eternal Darkness: "Are you trying to fight me or entertain me, little one?"// "Your weapons will not work against me, fool! Only the interplay of wits and magick can save your mind, if you can use them." // "You bore me, flesh and bone…” // “Your weapons are weak... useless! Come close, feel the might of my wrath." // "My machinations are timeless... your life is not." // "The tools of your puerile civilization are of no use against the Power of the Planes. Magick is your only hope, if you have any at all." Xel'lotath's Black Guardian can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHGoUKfVuAk
  15. B + Down (Air): No effect.
  16. B + Side: “Chattur’gha Antorbok Redgormor – Magikal Attack” – Alex fires a crescent shaped wave of red energy out in front of her. A smaller wave also fires out from behind.
  17. B + Side (Air): Same as “B + Side.”
  18. A + Up Tilt: Single handed overhead gladius swing.
  19. A + Down Tilt: Gets down on one knee and stabs the gladius diagonally forward into the ground.
  20. A + Forward Tilt: Fires a quick revolver/or sawn-off shotgun shot, then puts away the gun.
  21. Neutral A Air: diagonal top left to bottom right gladius slash.
  22. Forward A Air: Vertical bottom to top gladius slash.
  23. Upward A Air: Raises her palm upward and fires out a short pillar of magical energy.
  24. Downward A Air: Points her gladius downward and sends out a small burst of magic. Has a spread effect if it hits a surface.
  25. Backward A Air: Fires her revolver/ (or) sawn-off shotgun toward the opposite direction she is currently facing.
  26. Grab + A: Pummels with the hilt of the gladius.
  27. Throw + Up: A glyph of magic materializes below the opponent and then shoots up a concentrated pillar of light, sending the opponent high into the air.
  28. Throw + Down: A void opens in the floor, the enemy is flung into it, the void quickly reappears above Alex, dropping the enemy from the air, giving Alex a chance for an easy follow-up attack.
  29. Throw + Side: Shoves the enemy forward and follows up with a diagonal bottom to top gladius slash.
  30. Throw + Back: Turns and throws the enemy, finishing up with a powerful gladius slash.
  31. Edge Attack: Stabs forward while climbing up.
  32. Edge Attack (Above 100%): Slashes forward while climbing up, releasing a thin trail of magical energy that runs along the ground for a few feet.
  33. Get-Up Attack: Stands up quickly, and a burst of magical energy emanates from Alex.
  34. Final Smash: “Sanity’s Requiem” – A large portal appears in front of Alex, and a mass of writhing, light-blue tentacles burst through. Some strike enemies, having heavy damage and knockback, others might grab enemies and toss them a significant distance toward the edge of the screen. Alex then yells "What have I done!?" and closes the portal.
  35. D Pad Taunts
    1. Up Taunt- Alex will leaf through a few pages of the Tome of Eternal Darkness.
    2. Side Taunt- Disembodied whispering voices are heard (from the game). Alex turns around quickly and suspiciously aims her gun at something, then puts it away.
    3. Down Taunt- Alex puts her hands over her ears, crouches down a little and yells “This can’t be happening!”
Entrance Animation:
Alex materializes via teleportation rings.

Kirby Hat:
Appearance: B
londe hair with ponytail. Ability: Basically identical to Alex's B Special, but instead of having a gladius, Kirby, himself glows the enchanted color.​

andsushi

Smash Rookie
Oh, sorry, one of the guys on /r/SSBPM linked me to this page and told me to post it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom