• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask Player-1 Anything, Q and A Thread

Player-1

Smash Legend
Hey guys, the Diddy boards have been dead for a while and I think it might be a little discouraging to other Diddy players that are still trying to improve. I love helping new players, teaching people about Diddy, and just talking about the game itself so don't be intimidated to ask questions or anything.

I pride myself on knowing a lot about the character himself (tricks, ATs, frame data, etc.) and recovering so that is my particular area of expertise, but like the title says if you need help with anything like matchups, specifics, tibits, or just want to no more about me then just ask away.

Redrooster1492

Smash Rookie
What are some solid AT's for diddy? I picked him up about three weeks ago and have gotten pretty solid with him, but am having issues with characters w/ reflectors? Also, a banana, to dash attack, to spike off the ledge is an epic combo on heavier characters. i just figured that out the other day and damn.... No one plays have characters against diddy now...

Player-1

Smash Legend
What are some solid AT's for diddy? I picked him up about three weeks ago and have gotten pretty solid with him, but am having issues with characters w/ reflectors? Also, a banana, to dash attack, to spike off the ledge is an epic combo on heavier characters. i just figured that out the other day and damn.... No one plays have characters against diddy now...
By far the most important AT for Diddy is glidetossing. If you don't know what glidetossing is, it's an AT (pretty simple one) that allows you to slide while throwing the banana. The mechanic behind it is that in Brawl there is a short amount of time at the beginning of your roll that you can cancel into item tosses, so basically you transfer the momentum you have from the beginning of your roll into a throw. Some characters have long glidetosses like MK, Falco, Marth, ZSS, and others have short ones like Diddy. The input (on default GCC controls) is: R (Shield) + Constrol stick Left/Right > C stick in direction you want to throw. It allows for combos/strings that normally wouldn't be possible since you are getting closer to your opponent as you are going through the end lag of the item throw animation. It's a good approach since you can put a lot of pressure on your opponent at one time. It's good to keep stage control to like glidetossing back to get away from your opponent and create space.
Here's a video of some examples of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiLCUa8ql-0

Instant tossing is also pretty useful and it's the same concept as glidetossing but with an air dodge instead of a roll. Instant tossing basically allows you to instantly toss an item after grabbing it with an air dodge. It's even the same input. It's useful for if a banana is like on a platform or something and you want to get to it and throw it quickly. Once you get really good at it and predicting when your opponents will throw bananas at you, you can instant toss them back at them. It catches people off guard and it's hard to react to.

B reversing + popgun cancel with popgun is also pretty important. B reversing allows you to shift your momentum from a run, walk, or while you're in the air. For Diddy, it's used mostly in the air. So if you're moving at your fastest speed to the left while in the air and you b reverse, you will be moving at your full speed to the right. It's used to avoid being juggled by your opponents and to get down to the ground safer. It's another mixup to your arsenal. To do it you press B > control stick direction you want to be facing after. Popgun cancel is used with B reversing to optimize it. During the beginning of charging your peanut you can press a shield button and diddy will cancel charging his popgun. If you're on the ground and you have a banana in your hand you can cancel your popgun charge into a glidetoss for a mixup. When used with b reversing you pretty much always want to cancel your popgun. There's not too much of a point of mixing up your landing if your opponent can just react to your super slow popgun shot. Here's an example: http://youtu.be/MgJYEDVo9vk?t=2m1s

Those are the most useful, although at higher levels of play we have a banana infinite. The infinite itself is not too hard, but setting it up against good opponents is. An infinite is something that your opponent can't escape unless you mess up which pretty much gives you a free kill. It has different timings on different characters and some characters it won't work on at all. Here is a video showcasing it:
http://youtu.be/Q7Yzu2j6aE4?t=3m14s

I have some video guides on these and other ATs, but these are the most useful ones:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8F2E08DC2D10BFA6

Characters that have reflectors aren't too bad. The most troubling one is Falco, but it's not too bad either. If you think your opponent will use the reflector you should try to side-b it, they are still vulnerable to that and a fresh side-b grab attack does 15% fresh which is a good bit. Another option is to glidetoss down and back and then run up attack them with a grab or dash attack or something. One that I like against Falco is to short hop and throw the banana down and then fair them, if you space the fair it can be hard to punish on their shield if they didn't use the reflector. Against Falco's reflector you should wait for them to throw the reflector out and then run up and side-b them, or shield the reflector and side-b it as it's retracting. The reflector doesn't have a hitbox when it's retracting, but it can still reflect. It's also why Falco having his back to you is really bad for him (it's already bad situation in general) since the reflector gets kicked in front of him. Also the reflector doesn't have a hitbox on the underside of it, so you can actually crawl under the front portion of it and dtilt him, which is another AT you can dtilt with a banana in your hand by angling it diagnol forward and then hitting A, it's a situational AT so I wouldn't worry about the dtilt with banana in hand too much, but it has its uses.

Redrooster1492

Smash Rookie
Thanks so much for the feed back!! I already knew about glidetossing and the breversing (i am a snake main.) I don't use the breversing much w/ diddy though. I didn't know about the instant tossing. I will have to develop up that some more. I am definitely gonna check out these vids and thanks for the feed back on the reflectors! My two worst match-ups w/ friends are falco and mario. I am gonna have to try a few of the techinque!!

Player-1

Smash Legend
What is Diddykong's worst match up?
Meta Knight and Wario by far, I personally think both might be +2. I think ADHD and Zinoto both might agree about MK +2. After that I think it's Olimar then probably Falco/Snake which I think is just slightly their favor. I know Zinoto agrees with me that MK and Wario are his 2 worst MUs, he thinks Olimar is even. ADHD thinks MK and Olimar are Diddy's hardest, I'm not entirely sure of where he stands about Wario right now, DRN beat him with Wario 2-0 at Shuffle V, but I think he still said Wario wasn't as bad as Olimar.

Player-1

Smash Legend
how do you banana lock?
double banana lock or single or both?

Double banana lock is pretty simple, it's pretty much just pick up banana and then throw it, pick up another banana and then throw it, etc. There's a little bit of depth to it depending on the situation. Most of the time you're going to want to glidetoss one of the bananas into the opponenet and then hopefully your next banana will be somewhere around where you stop your slide from your glidetoss, from there you pick that up and then do a standing throw/glidetoss (it depends on the situation you just have to gauge the situation for yourself on whether you or not you need to glidetoss it). The thing you need to pay most attention to is if you need to turn around to pick the banana up or not ( you can buffer turn arounds out of throws which helps this). You can finish a banana lock at the edge with a smash most of the time, but sometimes you want to grab or tilt them depending on if they're at high/low percentage or character. For example, you can't dsmash MK before he grabs the ledge unless the spacing just so happens to be perfect, so most of the time you grab/smash right before that throw or you can dtilt him when he falls off the edge.

Single banana lock is a lot harder, but it's not that bad. Here's a video tutorial of it:
http://youtu.be/Q7Yzu2j6aE4?t=3m14s

I'll give a written explanation of it too. For beginners, I highly recommend starting on MK, he is easy to do it on where you don't really have to worry about timing or spacing for the infinite. Have a banana in your hand and SH and dthrow above the MK to start it, then before you fall back to the ground catch it with an airdodge. Next when you land on the ground turn around and dthrow the banana, this will move MK forward instead of backward. Then short hop again and instant throw the banana down on him. Instant throwing done by catching with air dodge and immediately throwing it (cancelling your air dodge), so same input as a glidetoss. Now after you instant throw and before you touch the ground you catch the banana again with air dodge and then again turn around and down throw on the ground and you repeat that process.

Controls of the process I described above on default GC controller: Y/X/Tap Jump (Short hop) > c stick down > R/L (airdodge, catch banana)>(*) tilt backward (turnaround) > c stick down (throw down) > Y/X/Tap Jump (Short hop) > R/L + c stick down (instant throw down) > R/L (airdodge, catch banana). Repeat at the *.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Do you Grizz infinite people a lot? Does the opportunity arise a lot or is it something that is pretty rare? What characters is it hardest/impossible to do it against? I can do it in practice mode only against Meta knight but I have a hard time finding opportunities to do it against anyone during a match.

There are plenty of characters I can't do it against but thats just because I'm bad at it.

Last edited:

Player-1

Smash Legend
Do you Grizz infinite people a lot? Does the opportunity arise a lot or is it something that is pretty rare? What characters is it hardest/impossible to do it against? I can do it in practice mode only against Meta knight but I have a hard time finding opportunities to do it against anyone during a match.

There are plenty of characters I can't do it against but thats just because I'm bad at it.
I get the 'Grizzfinite' a fair bit, it does depend on the character and who I'm playing against that determines how often I get it and the stage. If they're a mid level player I usually get it twice a set, high level players maybe once like every set or two. The opportunity happens pretty frequently, if I didn't get an infinite in a game (assuming it's a stage/character that allows me) there was usually one opportunity I could have gotten it, but it was just hard to get in that particular situation. It's all about knowing 2 things. The first being knowing when a move is unsafe enough on your shield where you could get it from a glidetoss down. The second being knowing when an opponent has left them open enough to a footstool since you can get an infinite out of both.

Characters that are impossible to do an infinite on are ICs, Squirtle, and Luigi. Impossible to get the grizzfinite on are those plus DDD, DK, Bowser, Yoshi, ROB, and I'd say Wario is technically possible to do it to, but [as of right now] there's no way to do it consistently with human error (I have an alt wario infinite seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3_6rA-pqU4 and another one here(it's shown on DDD, but it works on wario as well): http://youtu.be/iQfyuUXamiU?t=3m38s). I'd say the the hardest to do within the realm of possibility would be Ness, Ike, Lucas, and Samus. I don't think any Diddy that knows the infinite can consistently use the grizzfinite on these characters, they're size/trip animation/trip length makes them very awkward to infinite.

I think right now the 2 characters that are the hardest to infinite consistently, but players have shown to be able to infinite consistently are Marth and Olimar. Generally there are 4 types of characters you 'grizzfinite'. Characters that neither require timing nor spacing (MK, ZSS, GaW, Sonic, a couple of thers), characters that require just timing, but not spacing (Snake, Sheik, Link, etc.), characters that require spacing, but not timing (Lucario, Jigglypuff, etc.), and characters that require spacing and timing which is the hardest and that's where Marth and Olimar come in.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Thanks P-1 its nice to know that Diddy can infinite so many characters. The information on Marth and all the others is very helpful. Its nice to see that someone that is good takes the time to help the less experienced players. I need to practice getting those infinites mid match. I have another question. Why is Diddy's nair such a bad move? I see that a lot of people don't like it but I don't know why. What is a good alternative to using nair? I seem to use it a lot just because I'm not thinking after a doing a dash attack.

Last edited:

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Four of the top sonics in NA will be attending Sktar 3 for brawl singles. I would like to know some information about the sonic vs diddy match up in case I see it on stream, which would be amazing :D
Thank you.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Four of the top sonics in NA will be attending Sktar 3 for brawl singles. I would like to know some information about the sonic vs diddy match up in case I see it on stream, which would be amazing :D
Thank you.
I don't know too much to say about the MU specifically, it's always seemed simple to me and I've basically just played "typical" diddy against Sonic, I beat Espy in whobo 4 bracket (he beat me in pools though) and manny at apex and I don't really think I did anything special. Mostly just sit back in shield and wait for Sonic to do something and punish it with banana, if he's spindashing over my shield which is safe on shield then I'll just shield it and use the opportunity to assure my stage control and try to pressure them into making a mistake and punish.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Thanks P-1 its nice to know that Diddy can infinite so many characters. The information on Marth and all the others is very helpful. Its nice to see that someone that is good takes the time to help the less experienced players. I need to practice getting those infinites mid match. I have another question. Why is Diddy's nair such a bad move? I see that a lot of people don't like it but I don't know why. What is a good alternative to using nair? I seem to use it a lot just because I'm not thinking after a doing a dash attack.
Thanks, like I said I love helping people, especially Diddy players.

Diddy's nair is a bad move, BUT it does have its uses. It's considered bad because it's not really the fastest aerial on start up or cool down, Fair/Bair/Uair are almost always better to use. After a dash attack, the most common follow ups are Fair, up tilt, and uair.

You really have to know Diddy to have a good understanding of when nair is your best option or one of the better options. Nair can be a decent punish out of shield if you know you can get the nair as opposed to one of his faster aerials and that's also only if you think it can give you a better follow up opportunity than bair (bair is diddy's best aerial to combo with). So factors that might play into using nair instead of bair out of shield besides how fast the moves are would be like what character is my opponent? Do I benefit from them being directly above me as opposed to horizontally away from me? If I use bair will I be able to combo into a second bair or would they be able to shield it (damage percentage based and character based). If they can shield a 2nd bair would they expect me to side-b them instead of a 2nd bair? What stage am I on? Are there platforms above me that they'd land on if I used nair? Do I want this opponent on a platform in the first place? As you can tell it gets pretty specific which is why I say having a good understanding of Diddy helps a lot in your judgment calls in knowing if you should nair OoS.

It's also pretty decent if you are being crossed up by air dodges, like Wario for example likes to cross you up with air dodges so nair can be a decent option against that. I think nair is pretty decent against Wario in general since he doesn't have much range on his aerials and likes to jump around your shield to pressure you. Nair just a tiny tiny bit forward while rising and then retreating it while falling I think is good. But there are still usually better options.

One of the situations I think nair is Diddy's best option is for edgeguarding actually. If your opponent is trying to recover, I like running off the stage and then use a rising nair on stage so basically I have a big circle of a hitbox covering the edge. It depends on the character you are trying to edgeguard against, but one of the more favorable situations I like to use it in is against gliding characters like MK and Pit when they're gliding to the edge from below stage level since even if they use their glide attack it clanks with nair and nothing really happens.

I also like nairing to get Olimar's pikmin off of me if they're latched on and to cover fox and falco's phantasms back to the stage because nair stays out for a long time it can easily interrupt their phantasms, pretty much like I described in the last paragraph where you run off stage and do a rising nair back on to it, just have to be careful with falco since his phantasm spikes you and the first third of it is invincible.

It can be a decent comboer at low percents and even at mid percents, I'll try to use it if I edgehog someone, but they land on stage anyway from their up-b like marth then I'll jump up and nair into the ground and try to hit them with an aerial after. It's not a true combo a lot of the times, so it's basically if you think your opponent can react well enough to the situation which a lot of times they don't really expect it so they're not ready for it.

Nair can also be used as a landing, but the spacing is pretty specific. I usually only use it as a landing if my opponent is in a diagonal from me, but there are still usually better options. Fair and bair can do a good job covering that area if you use your fast fall right before you aerial. Mixing up when you use your fast fall can help your landings and recovery A LOT. So that 'blindspot' gets covered pretty well by just using fast fall basically. It really comes down to the microspacing for nair usage in landings which is, again, one of the reasons understanding diddy as a character is important in nair usage. You also have one of the best air dodges in the game, a side-b, and b reversals to help you land so most of the time when landing with nair might be a good idea as opposed to other aerials, you can use one of those to change your position and then suddenly fair or bair is better to land with. Nair also has less landing lag than fair does so that comes a bit into play too, but fair is pretty safe on shield while landing if your opponent doesn't know how to deal with it since it offers significantly more shield stun and shield push back than nair and also a lot of character's grabs will go over Diddy when he lands with fair since Diddy will lay down on the ground (they have to wait for you to stand back up to grab). And sometimes people will sort of auto pilot the shield grab for landing fair and not actually think if Diddy spaced it or not. If Diddy spaces his fair then the opponent has to dash grab Diddy since the shield push back pushes them back too far and if you don't space it then it doesn't so you can get a way with a lot of landing fairs even though you really should have been punished.

I think that's about it for nair, like I said it's a pretty bad move, probably Diddy's worst move, but it does has its situational uses.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Howdy. I'm just picking up Diddy and have a few Q's that need A's. What are some good setups to get the finishing blow on an opponent? His only kill move I know of is Nair. and a bannana won't help in this case. Also, how can I keep my foe from using the bananas against me easily? Noob questions I know, but I have to start somewhere.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Howdy. I'm just picking up Diddy and have a few Q's that need A's. What are some good setups to get the finishing blow on an opponent? His only kill move I know of is Nair. and a bannana won't help in this case. Also, how can I keep my foe from using the bananas against me easily? Noob questions I know, but I have to start somewhere.
No nair isn't considered to be a kill move. Moves that are viable kill moves are in my personal order of how viable they are: dsmash, fair, fsmash, utilt, bair, uair, ftilt, bthrow, and throw. Not counting meteor smashes like dair and barrel spikes.

Diddy does have trouble killing, but he has some guaranteed kill setups. The most common is glidetosses banana into kill move (usually dsmash). Fsmash is stronger than dsmash, but fsmash can be DIed out of since it has 2 hits. If you can catch people near the edge than fair can usually kill, but fair is usually a little stale since it's one of Diddy's best moves it gets thrown out a lot. Make sure when you grab your opponent, especially at higher percents you pummel them to refresh your moves from staleness, it helps a lot. Characters that are heavier (Snake, DK, DDD, etc.) don't even bother trying to kill them with a smash below 150% unless they're close to the edge or you stale your kill move. Fsmash is sort of okay to stale since it does a lot of damage and you usually want to Dsmash for the kill anyway. Characters like Wario or Toon Link you usually have to make a good read to kill them since they're always in the air and away from bananas which is how we get most of our kill setups.

Best way to keep opponents from getting your bananas is to just make sure you're not just throwing them around without any thought. It's pretty easy to go into autopilot mode for just a second and just throw your banana at your opponent without thinking if it's a good idea to do so. You can keep your opponent guessing by retreating glidetoss down throws. If you're opponent is shielding it lets their shield shrink a bit and they're going to try to act out of their shield to avoid getting shield poked so you can try putting a lot of pressure on them at that point. Dash attack, short hop fairs, and just run up shield are good follow ups if your opponent shields your banana. So usually you want to stay close to your bananas and not let them get too far from you that's why dthrowing them a lot is really good.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Sorry for the late response, I've been working on integrating this AT's into my Diddy game-play before I got back to you. I'm still having trouble with people stealing my bananas but I think it will become easier to avoid this as I progress.
Anyways thanks for the tips, very solid advice. You know what you're talking about!

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
just wondering what are the best ways to handle the mirror match and what approaches are best for the matchup.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I think for the ditto if you both have a banana in your hand then whoever throws the banana first generally loses. Also, I think making a mistake or a technical error when you're playing with bananas can be devastating since the other diddy will get control of the bananas. If the other Diddy has a banana in their hand and you don't you probably want to approach with bairs instead of fairs. Fairs are laggy and easily get you punshied from a glide toss OoS since you can't do anything from fair until you land. Bair you can act before you land from a SH bair. Coming in from the air can also be a good approach against Diddy I think if you have a banana in your hand. Like you can side-b at them and if you decide midway through the side-b that it's not a good idea to contiue you can jump out and then use your banana to cover your landing.

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
I think for the ditto if you both have a banana in your hand then whoever throws the banana first generally loses. Also, I think making a mistake or a technical error when you're playing with bananas can be devastating since the other diddy will get control of the bananas. If the other Diddy has a banana in their hand and you don't you probably want to approach with bairs instead of fairs. Fairs are laggy and easily get you punshied from a glide toss OoS since you can't do anything from fair until you land. Bair you can act before you land from a SH bair. Coming in from the air can also be a good approach against Diddy I think if you have a banana in your hand. Like you can side-b at them and if you decide midway through the side-b that it's not a good idea to contiue you can jump out and then use your banana to cover your landing.
thx for the analysis. will keep this in mind during the mirrors which I always seem to lose. i'll try applying this next time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom