• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

As a community, what would an awesome story mode be for Smash 4?

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
I liked the Subspace Emissary, the Story Mode, in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I wish there was a story mode in Smash 4, and I've heard about a lot of other people wanting one too. I know that the reason they DID NOT want a story mode in Smash 4 was because people would leak characters that were going to appear with it, like what happened in brawl. In replacement, they decided to create the trailers. Even if they were leaked, it woulds still do what it was supposed to do: Show off the new characters in an awesome way.

But now that the game is out and we know the characters, what harm would it be in creating a story mode for update? Or fine, DLC since it wouldn't be scamming. Heck, maybe they can add new DLC characters if you buy them so the story mode adds something to itself.

I want it to be for both Wii U and 3DS, and the 3DS should be able to handle the cutscenes because it can play videos normally, despite not looking as good as the Wii U version. However, Wii U only wouldn't be a problem since the 3DS is supposed to be handheld and some people probably won't commit to a full story on the go. But hey, Fire Emblem awakening, Pokemon, and Bravely Default is on there so I don't see a problem for most people. I am posting it on the Wii U subforum because it might have more activity. And I didn't post it in the creative minds section in artwork emporium because this is specifically for Smash 4.

I haven't found an extremely recent thread on the topic of an IDEA for a story mode. Since I am either A) too lazy or B) too busy or C) wanting to see what a cool story that we could come up as a community, I decided to do it all together. I probably will make posts as well, but we could quote posts and stuff to see what a cool story mode could be with combining all of our ideas.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
MILD XENOBLADE SPOILERS AHEAD!

Master Core (I think that's what he's called? The big dude at the end of classic mode) is a manevolent God that can only exist in sub space. It is revealed that Tabuu was simply being manipulated by Master Core to envelop Nintendia in subspace so that Master Core can resume/take his position as evil god of nintendia. Master Core recruits folks like the badguys from Megaman, Mew2, Hades from Uprising, and even Zanza himself to let him try to accomplish his goal once again. Awesomeness ensues.

Last edited:

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
I'd love another Subspace Emissary type mode, but obviously not likely so I'd take Melee's adventure mode instead if anything.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
I always thought videos didn't work on the 3DS version because of space limitations on the game card, which is why we didn't get an intro, character endings, or the reveal trailers. Besides, I think the 3DS version pushes the limits of the system so it wouldn't be able to handle a fully-fledged story mode.

The Wii U version, on the other hand, would definitely benefit from a story mode. I really liked some of the ideas and concepts behind the SSE, it would have been cool if we had a Melee-style Adventure Mode with SSE-style cutscenes. I understand why they didn't though, but it'd still be neat.

Gamr_8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer807
I would love a continuation of the Subspace mode with the newcomers. It is briefly mentioned in the Palutena's Guidance talk thing

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Subspace Emissary 2.0. being serious as the first, but not so gritty with stuff like blood coming from Master's Hand. And, it actually has Nintendo, SEGA, Capcom and Namco scenario and enemies. That being Melee Adventure Mode + SSE, and with the Final World with Brawl enemies and scenario like a big medley, with the true introduction of Master Core. Everytime I see Master Core I think about a scrapped final boss for a Story mode.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
One in which you have to punch God in the face at the end. With chocolate on top. Of God.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I'd like to see more interaction between characters than what Subspace did.

I'm fine to see Mario bros grunting or Kirby making his cutesy sounds, but it would've been nice to see some brief dialogue between Lucario, Falco, Fox, Snake, etc. The characters that can speak in their well known games basically (plz don't troll me with some CDi Link or Mario game clip).

The only lines in the entirety of the Subspace Emisary were "Great Aetheeeeer!!!" by Ike and "kept you waiting, huh?" by Snake. :p

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
As much as I liked it in Brawl, I feel like an SSE-esque story mode with fully rendered cutscenes might take too long, so I think a Melee-esque Adventure Mode would be a good compromise. Imagine going through a Wily Fortress adventure stage, with the disappearing blocks and everything, and maybe even a fight against the Mecha Dragon at the end. Or maybe one of the locales from Pikmin, complete with massive enemies and treasures scattered around. Heck, maybe even a Metroid stage where you actually fight Ridley at the end.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
3ds version already has memory issues, can't use net browser/miiverse etc while it's idle. they already don't have an intro/character endings for this specific reason.

zero chance of cutscenes on 3ds, so either sakurai has a fit about the games being asymmetric and has adventure be like melee or story is exclusive to wii u.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Something along the lines of the SSE would be cool but maybe more expanded upon. Maybe the actual characters and not just trophies.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
First thing's first: Smash Run for Wii U (online too), a well done tournament mode (online too), and a Melee-style adventure mode that goes through each of the gaming series represented in Smash (so well done that it almost feels like series A or B). With cutscenes of course. Never enough cut scene.

Get rid of Mario Party Smash, I mean Smash Tour to save space on the main menu. Replace it with training mode (training is currently too deep in the menus).

Lastly, but not least (opposite of least actually): Replace Angry Birds, I mean Target Smash with a real break the targets...obviously Melee-like. Character specific, and make it VERY hard.

Oh and buff Marth again.

Last edited:

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
Of course I would be totally down with a Melee adventure mode, it sounds awesome. However, It would be awesome with series styled stages and bosses!

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
People are all talking about the melee adventure mode and subspace emissary, but I think it'd be cool to have something like the opening cutscene of smash 64.
You know, Master Hand drags out all the heroes, snaps them to life, and they all fight. That sort of concept could me developed to make such a cool story mode. Specifically, I'm thinking it would be cool if the story is about the entire cast being split in half, fighting each other over the course of the campaign, and you have to pick which side you're on. Towards the end, a select few characters start to figure out the real danger, and all the characters have to come together to take on the final dungeon (great maze sort of deal) and boss (master core).
The selling point of the game itself is that all the characters are fighting each other, so wouldn't it make sense for the story mode to also be about all the characters fighting each other?

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
People are all talking about the melee adventure mode and subspace emissary, but I think it'd be cool to have something like the opening cutscene of smash 64.
You know, Master Hand drags out all the heroes, snaps them to life, and they all fight. That sort of concept could me developed to make such a cool story mode. Specifically, I'm thinking it would be cool if the story is about the entire cast being split in half, fighting each other over the course of the campaign, and you have to pick which side you're on. Towards the end, a select few characters start to figure out the real danger, and all the characters have to come together to take on the final dungeon (great maze sort of deal) and boss (master core).
The selling point of the game itself is that all the characters are fighting each other, so wouldn't it make sense for the story mode to also be about all the characters fighting each other?
Yes something like that would have been nice. Sakurai could have done so much with the series as far as creating stories throughout the series and really capitalizing on all these different series coming together in a fighting game. Maybe cutscenes that can explain why a specific character is in Smash and what they are doing there. But nope.

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Ideally, what I'd want gameplay-wise pretty much is SSE, (perhaps) minus the generic-ness, since that was literally the only thing I might have even slightly disliked about it (honestly, I don't think I did). Kirby Super Star and Amazing Mirror are great games, so mashing them up with Smash's roster was nothing short of a match made in heaven, in my opinion. SSE with a coat of SSB4's bright, upbeat comic-book style and Smash Run-esque enemy distribution would be absolutely awesome.

I wouldn't be opposed to a slightly longer, updated Melee adventure mode either; heck, all of Melee's single-player modes were fantastic. But having to play it with every character would probably get old really fast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom