• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Art Of Link 2 - A Smash 4 Link Guide By Izaw

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
As expected from Izaw, quality editing and some stuff in there I didn't know about.

Cool guide.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
Quite a good guide! I never knew Link had such good combos and followups.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
Guys great guide but i ask a question, i dont know if is better link or toon link. WHo is better?

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Link is easy to be good with but he has a high skill ceiling as well. He can be spammy but he has a lot of depth as well. Very refreshing for him to actually be good in this game even though I hate playing against him.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
For those wondering, Izaw didn't even cover all the techs we've discovered in the Link boards (not sure if he's aware of a couple of them actually), but this is a good starting point to get everyone up to speed.

For the Izaw Link v. Ganondorf battle,Izaw was being far too aggressive and the Ganondorf capitalized very well on it.

Last edited:

HyruleSmasher

Smash Cadet
There is nothing like a good old training session with the link crew..... even from this distance i could smell the excitement from all the link's here

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
So, now I'll have to put Charizard on the back-burner and train up my rusty Link after seeing this. xD Good stuff on Izaw. He's got me turned up for the Legendary Hero right now.

IdkLmao

Banned via Warnings
I am so sick and tired of smashboards being filled with gameplay guides written by players who don't have good tournament results.

Last edited:

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
I am so sick and tired of smashboards being filled with gameplay guides written by players who don't have good tournament results.
A good guide is a good guide regardless of how well the player did in a tournament. Judge the guide on its own merits rather than the success of that player in a tournament.

Reezus

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3969-5407-4413
God I cant stand a Link in smash 4 hate those bombs. If only my fireballs blew them up.

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
I grew up playing Link and I'm sad to say I almost hate him now due to how terrible everyone online is with him.

But I'm gonna watch these videos and get back into playing him. Become the kind of guy to win without spamming every projectile, like how I try to win with Dedede without spamming gordos.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I grew up playing Link and I'm sad to say I almost hate him now due to how terrible everyone online is with him.

But I'm gonna watch these videos and get back into playing him. Become the kind of guy to win without spamming every projectile, like how I try to win with Dedede without spamming gordos.
Yeah, during earlier smashes it was posited that the reason some popular nintendo representatives are bad is because from a game design aspect, more people will choose that character for the character alone, so they make the character bad in order to offset that. Whether or not it was intentional, I think we are seeing this come up now. Link is solid in this game and can eek out wins even if players don't know what they're doing, so he's becoming an excessively popular character to play.

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
Yeah, during earlier smashes it was posited that the reason some popular nintendo representatives are bad is because from a game design aspect, more people will choose that character for the character alone, so they make the character bad in order to offset that. Whether or not it was intentional, I think we are seeing this come up now. Link is solid in this game and can eek out wins even if players don't know what they're doing, so he's becoming an excessively popular character to play.
Interesting, I never knew that. I knew that Link was pretty low tier in 64 and Melee but continued playing him regardless due to my love for the Zelda games. I only stopped when they gave him the gale boomerang because it ruined my play style.

I'm just so sick of projectile spammers, especially when I play Ike. There's no skill involved in it, and it really just spoils his reputation as a character because every time you encounter Link online your first thought is "great another talentless hack".

If more people played Link like Izaw then people would have more respect for Link and Link players.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Yeah, I'm always saddened when I see campy Links. His attacks hurt, projectiles are ridonk, and his roll is not easy to punish on Lag Glory. I always beat them and go "omg dude Loonk gets spoonfed true combos wut r u doin all the way over dere?" He'll be top tier for sure this time around, which is fair... *glances at the other Triforce piece holders* Kinda fair?

Link is a very safe character in Sm4sh. I recommend him for people who are bad at spacing, since most of Loonk's options are pokes or close ranged bomb/boomerang tosses. He doesn't rely on hard reads either. Is he easy to use? Eh, not Fox or Falcon easy. Are his tools and defenses ridonk? Possibly the most ridonk. Are his offstage gimps easy to execute? lel no so practice. If you have to camp to win, you are factually a bad player despite your wins. Sorry. :C

I would love to see more Zelda and Ganon videos. Zelda has mind games and beautiful punishes. Ganon has severe punishes with fatal offstage presence. Sure they aren't as tool heavy as Link, and sure they require player-reading skills, aaaand sure they're not as safe... But that's no reason to shy away from them.

Last edited:

Duskinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshibrothers505
I main Link, and I don't spam Link's ranged attacks. I'm mostly up close and personal. If I do use his ranged attacks I'm still moving constantly instead of camping.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Haha is that a thing? It sounds a little forced though, we already have "Sanic".
Unlike Sanic the Tink and Lonk thing is just to differentiate between the two quickly and easily because we too lazy to say Toon Link and regular Link.

_Galahad

Smash Rookie
Can't wait to see the Link players get even better, even though they are already so strong. Such a great character.

xDroppinitial

Smash Rookie
NNID
xDr0ppin24
3DS FC
3239-5093-2792
I think link should be able to fire bomb arrows if he draws his bow while holding a bomb.

Top Bottom