• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

arial raptor boost edguarding - punishing ledge hanging opponents and their actions

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
When you are edgeguarding your opponent, and you get them to hang from the ledge, it is quite easily seen that you have quite an advantage in this situation (as the edge guarder).

The opponent has limited options to get back onto the stage, so prediction is key. Accuratly predicting your opponents moves comes with experience, but one can never be 100% certain of your opponents next actions.

This said, an arial raptor boost can punish most of the opponents options, if not, all.
I mean an arial raptor boost not far from the ground, but not immediatly after you leave the ground.

When your opponent is hanging from the ledge, a well spaced arial raptor boost can:

0 It can intercept opponents who are trying to sweetspot the ledge from above with a raptor boost spike
1 knock them down if they stay where they are (hangin from the ledge)
2 knock them into the stage if they jump from hanging from the ledge
3 make you grab the ledge if they let go of the ledge (to stall, or to bait you)
4 make you hop over them (with the hit of the raptor boost) if they roll after hanging from the ledge.

The cons:

1 A ledge attack counters this to my knowledge, but not many players use a ledge attack, as it is very punishable.
2 If they simply stand up from hanging from the ledge, you'll hop off of them, and endure landing lag for them to punish.

If you space the arial raptor boost correctly, it cannot cause you to self distruct, but covers quite some of the opponents options while hanging from the ledge.

I thought this was worth sharing ^_^

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Sounds good, but you gotta practice this and get the timing for the boost down, or you could end up falling too far down and getting owned by somebody who just rolls up.

Top Bottom