• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are You Going To Experience All The Items, Skip Them, Or Undecided? (SSB4)

Are You Going To Experience All The Items, Skip Them, Or Undecided? (SSB4)

• Total voters

_Kun_

Smash Cadet
I am going to experience all the items so that when I do ever play with them, I know what each item does. Once I am more experienced with the game in general, I will turn them off. How about you? If your undecided, why?

P.S - If there is a thread like this already, sorry. If someone can direct me to it, awesome!

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
I pretty much always play with items it adds a random fun factor to each match. Unless Tingle throws sledgehammers everywhere, then it turns into a grab the sledge match which I hate.

_Kun_

Smash Cadet
I pretty much always play with items it adds a random fun factor to each match. Unless Tingle throws sledgehammers everywhere, then it turns into a grab the sledge match which I hate.
Just can't get enough of that Tingle. Especially in Brawl how tripping was a factor. Sometimes, he would just blow that tripping out of proportion… Especially since I main Sonic.

Last edited:

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
Just can't get enough of that Tingle. Especially in Brawl how tripping was a factor. Sometimes, he would just blow that tripping out of proportion...
Yeah between that and Nintendog/Resetti/Devil you had some crazy matches.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
I am going to experience all the items so that when I do ever play with them, I know what each item does. Once I am more experienced with the game in general, I will turn them off.

I think most people will do this. I will play with them for fun and nostalgia for a little while, but months later and as someone who is starting to get into the tournament scene I will rarely touch them. I love their existence though for those who do enjoy them.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
I seem to play with and without items in a roughly equal amount, although there's usually one or two I disable.

OP has the right idea, though. I played against someone who said they had been playing since Melee launched but didn't know what a Pokeball did and it was incredibly sad.

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
Exactly, play various matches with items on, know its effects and then turn them off...

Although, there will be ocasional 'Summoning matches' (Smash Ball, AT y pokeballs in High) to enjoy the mayhem...

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Well, you are going to experience them if you play classic mode.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
The game is faster and less floatier than Brawl, items are even more chaotic, and I can play four player matches with other people more often.

Oh I am going to use the crap out of items.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Real men use items.

Smash is a lot funnier and unpredictable if you use them in four player matches.

Sterling Ford

Smash Cadet
NNID
coolboykain12
3DS FC
5112-3516-8831
I'm going to try to see what all the items do. Then I'll practice for competitive play.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Oh yeah. Going to have lots of fun with all these crazy new items before I start gearing up for competitive play. Besides that, they'll be all over the place in Classic and apparently All-Star is going to have something unique to do with the ATs, so that'll be neat.

Sterling Ford

Smash Cadet
NNID
coolboykain12
3DS FC
5112-3516-8831
Oh yeah. Going to have lots of fun with all these crazy new items before I start gearing up for competitive play. Besides that, they'll be all over the place in Classic and apparently All-Star is going to have something unique to do with the ATs, so that'll be neat.
If I do well, no one can't beat my Villager.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Gotta see dem assist trophies :)

Can't wait for the first time I summon Dark Samus for me.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I will do my best to experience all of the content at least a bit, before I transition over to tryharding. And since I'll still be up for Smash Run from time to time, I'll be more used to items than most of my friends, I'm sure.

But as for keeping items on in a 1v1, nah.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I'm skipping the items whenever I can. When the WiiU version comes out though, and I play with my friends who don't have 3DS', I'll turn items on and have a go at it.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I usually play without items, but these new ones look pretty fun. I'll play a bunch of games with items and crazy stages for fun, I don't plan on getting too serious with the game until it's out for the WiiU.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
I'll do it a few times when I play for fun and not to compete/better my skills. Brings memories back to my first Smash, when it was all about 5 minutes, all times, 4 fighters, and tournament-banned gimmick courses. That was the bomb.

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
I mainly play with items on, so obviously I'm going to keep (most of) them on when I play.

I'll still remove the smart bomb, though. Words cannot describe how much I despise that item after Brawl...

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
Yep. I usually play with items ON when I play Smash with my nephews.

While playing alone and practicing, I will most definitely play with items off though.

Mega Hawlucha

Smash Apprentice
I am going to experience all the items so that when I do ever play with them, I know what each item does. Once I am more experienced with the game in general, I will turn them off. How about you? If your undecided, why?

P.S - If there is a thread like this already, sorry. If someone can direct me to it, awesome!
My FFA games tend to be items on while 1v1/2v2 matches will be items off. It's how I've played most matches since Melee and will probably be how I continue

Last edited:

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
Both. I will play with items on and off. You can probably figure out why at this point.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Just like with any new game, I'd like to see everything Smash 4 has to offer first with its various items, game modes, etc. After I've gotten a feel for everything, I'll edit the rules so they're tourney-like.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Of course I will.

I gotta know which item does this and what will happen if someone else uses it. It helps to know in advance.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Yup! Definitely using items. I always do FFA matches with items on in the beginning. Then I'll probably do a match with only one item on and do that for every item. After I get my fill I'll just run 1v1 and actually practice. I told my friends that anytime we meet up we gotta run some FFA items for a couple matches before 1v1 no items so we can enjoy what the game offers at least

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I'm gonna experience them all. I'll probably put them on low after awhile, though, and on none most of the time.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I will play with all the items on. I think a part of Smash is the items, and though I prefer to play with items on low so they aren't TOO distracting, you're missing out on a big part of the game with items off.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
How about that new S-Flag? Just thought of a new game...

One stock. Only S-Flag.

Race to see who can get to a certain number of stocks first

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
The match would probably end up with someone running out of stocks before that happens.
Possibly. Depends on how often the S-Flag spawns even with items on high. The winning conditions could be tweaked to last man standing wins if the stock limit isn't reached. Just a quick idea

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Definitely going to try out all items, characters, stages, everything, before I start selecting characters to main as well as start disabling items. Although when I will play with family and friends, items all the way! Much more chaotic and fun!

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit is potentially a good item user in Brawl, so I don't mind taking a bit of time to practice with the items here as well, though I may be more focused on competitive play earlier this time around, but I'll surely take a look at the items, especially the Kid Icarus ones, eventually.

Shuckle89

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'm going to use items as little as possible and avoid them at all cost. However, I do want to experience the different game types including classic mode (or whatever it will be this time) so I won't be able to avoid them all.

@ RPGatWill RPGatWill I guess that's a matter of opinion. In my opinion, you're missing part of the game when you turn them on. Characters are very unique and incredibly different (except some clones). Using items means everyone can use them, so the differences among characters are less revelevant. So, by using items, characters lose their uniqueness and differences. That, and the random factor I don't like. Lot of unfair stuff can happen and I don't like it when things are luck based.

Well, sometimes I don't mind as well. I enjoy turning on pokeballs from time to time just for a pokefest, but in general, I don't like them.

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
@ Shuckle89 Shuckle89 But unlike items when you turn them off, the moves and things that make a character unique don't disappear, they're still there. So you're not really missing a part of the game.

That being said, I prefer playing versus w/o items, but I still enjoy them in all the other modes.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Oh, but of course, the new items seem more interesting than the new ones from Brawl.

From time to time, I either play with items on or off, depending on who I'm playing with.

RunawayPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NiftySSB
It actually will depend on who I play the game with first...
Or even if I play with my more competitive friends, we will probably go with just poke balls and smash balls if we wanted to use items for fun
But if I just play with a couple friends we'll probably just go straight into the game testing the characters we were planning to use out

Shuckle89

Smash Apprentice
@ Shuckle89 Shuckle89 But unlike items when you turn them off, the moves and things that make a character unique don't disappear, they're still there. So you're not really missing a part of the game.

That being said, I prefer playing versus w/o items, but I still enjoy them in all the other modes.
fair point there. Guess you're right. Well, then maybe 'missing out' is not the right word. But, you got my point, right?

ShizChiz

Smash Apprentice
fair point there. Guess you're right. Well, then maybe 'missing out' is not the right word. But, you got my point, right?
Yeah I understood, it's not so much missing as it is less of a factor in the craziness of items and hazards being present.

Top Bottom