• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

are you agressive or defensive?

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
iv seen pretty much 2 different styles for falco, defensive and agressive. personally, i switch it up, but more often i am agressive. how do you play, and what are some reasons you play this particular way?

bowz

Smash Journeyman
Defensive falcos are annoying and lame. They spam lasers, reflector, and jabs, then forward smash to kill you. So i stay aggresive. I have my defensive moments, but don't revolve my game around it.

ixdnL

Smash Journeyman
Definitely aggressive. Falco's meant to be played that way. If not, then he's really good at it.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
i feel falco should be played aggressive as well, but the falcos iv seen do well at tournies play very defensive and boring, rarly approaching, if at all

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
At least Falco has a defensive game this time around? What makes him so great is that you can switch between offense and defense depending on the situation, since Falco is good at both.

wangston

Smash Lord
I play aggressive but some characters I have to play defensive. When I play defensive it is just SHDL reflector and if the reflector trips them I will go on the aggressive.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
i think this should be an all around falco play style right here:
spam lasers, reflectors, and be defensive, and when they get by your lasers and reflector, punish them for even thinking about coming in, and as soon as they are hit away, go back to the defensive play style

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
My Falco game switches it up.
I'm trying to incorporate an aggressive style that also has several defensive twists and tricks.

But Falco's defensive game is not one that should be taken lightly or considered "lame" since it wins tournaments.

wasabicheese

Smash Journeyman
Defensive falcos are annoying and lame. They spam lasers, reflector, and jabs, then forward smash to kill you. So i stay aggresive. I have my defensive moments, but don't revolve my game around it.
*facepalm*
how is it lame? its just a way to play. as Exousia said, if it wins tournaments its not lame. i personally consider this trolling against many players on this board. but anyways, i personally believe that falco is meant to be played defensivelyy, and when you see the oppertunity go offensive and pull out the combos.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
*facepalm*
how is it lame? its just a way to play. as Exousia said, if it wins tournaments its not lame. i personally consider this trolling against many players on this board. but anyways, i personally believe that falco is meant to be played defensivelyy, and when you see the oppertunity go offensive and pull out the combos.
It is lame. The games are never fun and the falco is repetitive, which is annoying. You can disagree with me, that's fine, but it isn't trolling.

spare-jello

Smash Cadet
It's really tough to say what I play, so I guess It depends on the situation. That's the best way to go; you're not limited to one style of play. I always tend to do the opposite of whatever the other player's doing, so if they're going in for attack after attack, I'll try a hit-and-run for a camp. If they're the one trying to stay away from me, I'll try going offensive with grabs and mind games.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I'm definitely aggressive. Haha. I know defensive is technically "better" but I just can't play that way x_x; it's too boring.

Krakatoa

Smash Cadet
Depends in the situation, the people I play in person are really agresive so I need to stay in the defensive, and the people I play on Wi-fi are defensive so I try to beat them up

spare-jello

Smash Cadet
Depends in the situation, the people I play in person are really agresive so I need to stay in the defensive, and the people I play on Wi-fi are defensive so I try to beat them up
That's a really odd coincidence. Does it have something to do with lag, or is it just the people you play?

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
who are some people u would want to go defensive against? give examples

Heavenly Cloud

Smash Apprentice
I pretty much play aggressively because I suck at SHDL, so I just use it to approach and go on the offensive from there.

Krakatoa

Smash Cadet
That's a really odd coincidence. Does it have something to do with lag, or is it just the people you play?
Both actually, I need to stay moving to avoid projectiles with the lag but almost all the people I play use Snake, Olimar and Pit so they just sit there and launch projectiles until I reach them, it's kinda odd...

Truthbetold

Smash Rookie
Aggressive passivity. :)
I spam projectiles while moving forwards, or backwards if I'm getting killed.
Then I go aggressive once I get close.

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
I play extremely aggressively, mainly for me not having any patience, i FF a lot into attacks that I am expecting repeatedly, I DI into A combos such as CF or Kirby, cause I'm of the impression that they'll stop hitting before i DI out. But then again i like playing fast, or so i like to think.

J4pu

Smash Champion
I'm aggressive all the time except when it isn't working, at which time I play defensively (which seems to be an inproportionately large amount in G&W fights).

My answer is so obivous it's helpful
... nah, just obvious

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
Mostly aggressive, I simply find it more fun to play that way. It depends somewhat on character, against someone like snake, i'll use plenty of SHDL's and keep my space, but otherwise, I tend to be on the offensive.

Tengosku

Smash Cadet
just like os said, you can be good at one but you have to be able to do both when you need them.

imo it all depends on your opponent. i myself am a purely reactionary smasher so it depends on the character, the player, the playstyle of the opponent, and how that all matches up with your ability.

if i believe my opponent can't deal with speed well (or is phasing out, its easy to phase out in the middle of smash games, especially on second stock when you're up 1, its not so easy to tell when your opponent is playing worse. (i once played a ddd vs fox with my friend that i didn't feel like playing because i was bored, and i just mashed aaa and recovered the whole match. when it was over he saved the replay and i just laughed)) ...then i stop using mindgames and just whip out nairs and jabs (fast attacks) linking things together, it usually gets 40% before they snap out of it

i switch to defense when im phasing out, or when im getting *****, or when i just got beat up by something stupid like trip to grab or my SHAD not working. when im defending i usually have one thing on my mind that i try to turn their attack into, like ftilt>LL or a simple cg, or i try to lure them into the air where falco is favored (utilt/uthrow)

if my opponent is too fast, i poke into his weak points, inbetween attacks, basically trying to slow the match down so he loses some of his element, if he's a good player he'll change his rythm and outplay me at mindgames and csticks, but most people aren't used to psychoanalyzing themselves during a match

as for characters, if its snake i piss and moan, if its rob i dont play defensive and fight in the air/off the ledge, and that's all i have to say

;D

bowz

Smash Journeyman
just like os said, you can be good at one but you have to be able to do both when you need them.

imo it all depends on your opponent. i myself am a purely reactionary smasher so it depends on the character, the player, the playstyle of the opponent, and how that all matches up with your ability.

if i believe my opponent can't deal with speed well (or is phasing out, its easy to phase out in the middle of smash games, especially on second stock when you're up 1, its not so easy to tell when your opponent is playing worse. (i once played a ddd vs fox with my friend that i didn't feel like playing because i was bored, and i just mashed aaa and recovered the whole match. when it was over he saved the replay and i just laughed)) ...then i stop using mindgames and just whip out nairs and jabs (fast attacks) linking things together, it usually gets 40% before they snap out of it

i switch to defense when im phasing out, or when im getting *****, or when i just got beat up by something stupid like trip to grab or my SHAD not working. when im defending i usually have one thing on my mind that i try to turn their attack into, like ftilt>LL or a simple cg, or i try to lure them into the air where falco is favored (utilt/uthrow)

if my opponent is too fast, i poke into his weak points, inbetween attacks, basically trying to slow the match down so he loses some of his element, if he's a good player he'll change his rythm and outplay me at mindgames and csticks, but most people aren't used to psychoanalyzing themselves during a match

as for characters, if its snake i piss and moan, if its rob i dont play defensive and fight in the air/off the ledge, and that's all i have to say

;D
TL;DR

Sorry, I have been waiting to use that ever since I realized what it meant, and this just seemed to be the perfect opportunity, I'll read it later.

DR809

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3754-7546-8239
i start off offensive then when i got their percentage up i go deffensive and perfect shield into a fsmash. and sometimes in between so it doesnt seem repetitive.

Top Bottom