• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you a hype maker?

Do you get creative and try and pull off some hype KOs or do you play it safe to secure your win?

• Better safe than sorry

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • LET'S GET DANGEROUS

Votes: 33 82.5%

• Total voters

Godzillionaire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Crit-Hit
3DS FC
3797-7329-5972
I've started practicing getting creative with ways to KO opponents and I was wondering do y'all also try to do some creative KOs? Or do you not wanna make any risks and just play it safe?

meebius

Smash Apprentice
If you have the lead ALWAYS swag
but if you don't, play it safe

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
When I'm a stock ahead, I'll always try killing with pk flash. They'll run into it eventually.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
If I'm ahead I'll try some crazy stuff. With Falcon, punishing airdodges is always fun.
But of course, I'll be careful if it's even or I'm behind.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
If I'm playing friendlies, I always go for deep kills and such.

In tourney, I play much more conservatively. Naturally, I suppose.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I'd like to be, but I just cannot. I'd rather choose the best option I can over attempting insane combos that will cause me to trade stocks.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Depends. If I feel like it's not paying off on a given day I won't, but if it is working to be courageous and outgoing then may as well be flashy.

Kraton9000

Smash Cadet
The only scenarios I'd ever really play safe and serious is in a tournament or if my opponent is far beyond my skill level.

Otherwise, its always:
  • Reverse Mid-Air Falcon Punch
  • Stairway to Heaven
  • Stage Lip - Knee of Justice
  • Nipple Spike
  • Something Else Equally Stupid

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
These are two matches that I felt were hype that I recorded. I'm Rosalina in the first one, Sonic in the second.

The Marth player in the Rosalina match was actually very good and I had a long set with him, and while I think I won all of the matches, it was still really fun.

However, this match was just too funny> Super early U-air KO, and then played some Marth Tennis:

And this one is just a shining example of "even if the odds are stacked against you, don't give up".

Kyzael

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raiyn
3DS FC
0104-3086-6937
And this one is just a shining example of "even if the odds are stacked against you, don't give up".

When I started the video, I wasn't really entertained much with the fact of Sonic but I was laughing and was surprised you manage to push Little Mac that extra bit for the KO. That was pretty good for hype.

As for my bit of hype...Hm, well I can't really say anything impressive. 2-stocking somone as Lucario or managing to come back from one stock and destroying their 2 stock isn't unheard of. I kinda wish PM Lucario's aerial force palm was placed in Smash 4 because he's have a early kill option and you know, hype.

But I suppose the biggest hype for Lucario is either getting the Double Team off and scoring a KO, landing that Bair, or getting the punish with Force Palm. (Which I noticed that sometimes, he does FP faster at random times.)

Last edited:

PeejsterM

Smash Cadet
When playing as Robin, I usually can't afford to fool around unless I'm really that much better than my opponent. That being said though, just defeating a person with very little skill isn't exactly hype. The most impressive stuff I do is just SBair kills out of nowhere, or the rare Elwind spike.

D

Deleted member 269706

First rule of playing Falcon: Grant your opponent a glorious death, even if it means your own.
Always go for the big stuff, Falcon Punch, spikes, the knee, you name it. If I have a stock lead I'll go for some crazy ****, like off stage Falcon punches and stuff like that. If I'm way behind, same thing, that's really the only way to bring it back. I guess the only time I don't go for wild stuff is when my opponent and I are dead even and both at kill percentages on the final stock.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
As long as you know the limits of your character, always go for the hype. Even if you're behind, you still need to be proactive at the very least.

Typically though, the most hype moments are when you have a hard read on your opponent, thus enabling absolute madness.

sonicmega

Smash Rookie
NNID
sonicmega
3DS FC
1306-5031-6241
Oh, I thought this thread was about being 'that guy' at tournaments who builds the hype using his own energy, which would definitely apply for me.

Then again, I tend to get hype from people just because I play Megaman (who is rarely seen in a competitive front).

CrabLeg

Brown Boy Wonder
NNID
Maheen76220
3DS FC
4854-6626-0552
I play Captain Falcon. High risk, high reward. It always makes people get hype.

Dragonitan

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2122-8048-1140
Rule number one: If you are ahead make sure you establish dominance by killing them with a suicidal move off the stage like LM's side B or a kirbycide

Top Bottom