• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are we maybe jumping to conclusions about the 35 character roster?

Deathstroke22

Smash Rookie
Hello All,

As I was reviewing some of the latest spoilers and such, it appears that the 35 character roster is all but confirmed. However, I realized, didn't Sakurai, say something to the affect that 65% of secret characters will be unlocked via the Subspace Emissary.

Now I don't know how all of these characters are unlocked but given the screen captures it seems that many will be directly through the Subspace Emissary. Does this mean that there could be more characters than appear in the 35 character roster?

Let me just say for the record, I have little problem with the 35 character roster, but was just speculating for the sake of argument.

Magmar's Wrath

Smash Journeyman
I have several problems with that mock-up roster coming true:

1.) Characters that weren't on it (i.e. Captain Falcon) have been announced.
2.) Are we supposed to believe that the leaks so far are it? That the person playing has already done almost all of SSE?
3.) There is no way this person could unlock all the hidden characters before the game comes out. He/She/It/Potato probably has started the unlocking.
4.) This has all been SSE footage. We don't know what else is out there.
5.) 35 characters? 10 more than Brawl? Are we really supposed to believe that after putting so much effort and time into this game, they could only fit in 10 more than Melee?

Davy Jones

Smash Ace
Characters in the "real rooster" arent actually confirmed.
Everyone puts his favourite, main etc. in a rooster, than others put it and make other ppl belive it whould be the real one.
Or, for example, some sites might have a poll, and put the most voted chars and some random chars into a rooster.

Druidan

Smash Rookie
Hello All,

As I was reviewing some of the latest spoilers and such, it appears that the 35 character roster is all but confirmed. However, I realized, didn't Sakurai, say something to the affect that 65% of secret characters will be unlocked via the Subspace Emissary.

Now I don't know how all of these characters are unlocked but given the screen captures it seems that many will be directly through the Subspace Emissary. Does this mean that there could be more characters than appear in the 35 character roster?

Let me just say for the record, I have little problem with the 35 character roster, but was just speculating for the sake of argument.

Indeed. Think of this... So in the image where it shows the saved game for SSE finished at 59%, there are apparently only 36 possible slots, correct? Well, as Death Stroke said, the 35 character roster could merely be the characters used-in/unlocked-in SSE. So in that saved file, you wouldn't have the multitude of other characters possible to unlock. Furthermore, the current roster selection screens only show those characters unlocked by SSE, and it looks nearly full, correct? But we've already seen that as you unlock more characters the boxes shrink, creating more room.
Also, because the requirements to unlock characters probably includes play-time in Verses, Completions in Classic, and Event Matches, The leakers may have simply not gotten around to it yet.
I know the first thing I want to play is the SSE. I'm sure that's what they're doing too. And if they've only seen the Character selection screen for characters in the SSE, which is 35, then of course they'd assume it was the entire roster for the entire game.

Now, this may all be wishful thinking on my part, and it probably is. However, I think there's enough room for speculation to keep all the flaming individuals who try to smash down other's hopes at bay, temporarily.

Personally, I'm fine with the 35 roster, especially if it's really Krystal and not Wolf. I'm happy. And this is still the most amazing game I feel like I've ever laid eyes on. It can only get better. I hope it really does, and we get some more characters, but if not... *shrug*

I would however like to see a link to the quote where Sakurai says that only 65% of unlockables are unlocked in the SSE. If you can find it, and it's authentic, that'd be amazing. Thanks. :)

Druidan

Smash Rookie
Hello All,

Indeed. Think of this... So in the image where it shows the saved game for SSE finished at 59%, there are apparently only 36 possible slots, correct? Well, as Death Stroke said, the 35 character roster could merely be the characters used-in/unlocked-in SSE. So in that saved file, you wouldn't have the multitude of other characters possible to unlock. Furthermore, the current roster selection screens only show those characters unlocked by SSE, and it looks nearly full, correct? But we've already seen that as you unlock more characters the boxes shrink, creating more room.
Also, because the requirements to unlock characters probably includes play-time in Verses, Completions in Classic, and Event Matches, The leakers may have simply not gotten around to it yet.
I know the first thing I want to play is the SSE. I'm sure that's what they're doing too. And if they've only seen the Character selection screen for characters in the SSE, which is 35, then of course they'd assume it was the entire roster for the entire game.

Now, this may all be wishful thinking on my part, and it probably is. However, I think there's enough room for speculation to keep all the flaming individuals who try to smash down other's hopes at bay, temporarily.

Personally, I'm fine with the 35 roster, especially if it's really Krystal and not Wolf. I'm happy. And this is still the most amazing game I feel like I've ever laid eyes on. It can only get better. I hope it really does, and we get some more characters, but if not... *shrug*

I would however like to see a link to the quote where Sakurai says that only 65% of unlockables are unlocked in the SSE. If you can find it, and it's authentic, that'd be amazing. Thanks. :)

susu_atari

Smash Ace
I agree with Druidan. Although it may be wishful thinking.

Also, it's only 35 if you don't take into account Shiek, ZSamus and don't count PT as 3.

If you DO, then it's 39.

Each row has 9 characters. If there WAS another row of characters, that were unlocked outside of SSE, that would bring the total number of characters to 48.

Sound familiar?

Discord002

Smash Rookie
5.) 35 characters? 10 more than Brawl? Are we really supposed to believe that after putting so much effort and time into this game, they could only fit in 10 more than Melee?
You have to remember that 7 of the chars in Melee were clones. So it was actually just 18 original ones back then. Brawl got 35 original characters, thats almost twice as many as in Melee. Not too shabby really.

Conserning this threads topic: It could still be true that the chars we have seen so far have all been from the SSE. In Melee there were chars that wasnt unlocked after playing multiplayer for 20 hours and such. I think Sakurai could have included alot of secrets like this... but then again, i wouldnt be dissapointed with "just" 35 characters.

Xarias

Smash Journeyman
I believe there are more characters in other modes, like Event Matches and Target Test. There has to be. Sakurai said it himself.

LucidDreamGod

Smash Cadet
Like 70% of the gamefaqs members think that the 35 roster is not goign to happen and like 98% of them have no idea how it originated, ofcourse that forum is moving so freaking fast it's hard to tell them that yes the 35 roster has been pretty much confirmed, I mean prophets suggested R.O.B. how and every character that has shown their face way back in like december, and october.

I would lvoe to post that post that someone on her made, and it was used on SMYN that has all the proof for the 35 roster, someone seriously needs to post that on gamefaqs right now :p.

LucidDreamGod

Smash Cadet
Like 70% of the gamefaqs members think that the 35 roster is not goign to happen and like 98% of them have no idea how it originated, ofcourse that forum is moving so freaking fast it's hard to tell them that yes the 35 roster has been pretty much confirmed, I mean prophets suggested R.O.B. how and every character that has shown their face way back in like december, and october.

I would love to post that post that someone on here made, and it was used on SMYN that has all the proof for the 35 roster, someone seriously needs to post that on gamefaqs right now :p.

Rakath

Smash Ace
35 is pretty much the minimum roster. There could be more cast by another Row or Column appearing by unlocking more cast (39, 44, 49 rosters are plausable). Fire Emblem is easy to add to, a final Third Party is easy to add in as well, Mother can get another rep as well, and a dog leg could put Mewtwo in. That's what I'm hoping for anyway...

Oh Gibdo

Smash Journeyman
Seeing Toon Link and ROB get in over K. Rool hurts my heart.

If a 36th character is suddenly unlocked, I'll wet my pants with joy, but it ain't gonna happen. :(

Oh how I hope I'm wrong.

Slojoz

Smash Cadet
hey... what about this roster we have here is just from the subspace emmisary? i mean, what about if all this characters are unlocked just by playing the subspace emmisary? and there is more characters to be unlocked in mode like classic and the event mode?? its quite possible

Rominati

Smash Cadet
I believe Jiggs and Toon Link were not unlocked via SSE. Even to go as far as to say marth. I think you beat classic mode to unlock him.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
It's kind of a slap in the face to me when you can actually select ROB to fight against Meta-Ridley :(

super-7

Smash Journeyman
this is just heartbreaking to the hole smash community.. this has to be subspace and classic mode.. there has to be more characters unlockable like beat classic with every char or play 20 hours.. or target test, this is only subspace and 2 runs threw classic

Finesse

Smash Rookie
I find it somewhat odd that Bowser is placed in the bottom right of the character selection, far off from the rest of the "Mario series characters". I also notice that the 3rd party characters Snake and Sonic are not really aligned. Now, I understand that one could simply say that there's nothing inherently "wrong" with it, and I agree. It's just my opinion that a genuine "final" roster wouldn't have these very subtle minor details. Of course, if this were the legit final roster, then so be it.

The one character I'm still hoping for is King K. Rool :)

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
Well, there's a lot more unlockables in store, as everyone's said. Event mode, Classic mode, plus the Challenges...Also, given the amount of time we've had with the game, it's highly unlikely we have all the info yet, seeing as it's not even officially out. Be patient, and hopefully the 35 roster is debunked.If not, then hey, at least the game will have awesome gameplay, music, stages, etc, etc.

Druidan

Smash Rookie
I believe Jiggs and Toon Link were not unlocked via SSE. Even to go as far as to say marth. I think you beat classic mode to unlock him.
Well, unless you have to beat Classic mode before you can finish the SSE, Marth is unlocked in the SSE.

Also, we don't have all of the spoilers about the SSE yet do we? They may still be part of the story, or even part of a branching storyline that the leakers haven't played through yet.

Furthermore, I hope that there will be more than 3 unlockable characters(wwlink, Jiggs, wolf/Krystal) outside of the SSE. Nobody has yet gotten me the link to the official quote about 65% of unlockables coming out of the SSE, but if it's true, then the unlockables outside of the SSE (3 supposedly) are no where near 65% of the total 14 unlockable characters.

Also, whoever said R.O.B. wasn't unlocked in the SSE, please go review the spoilers again.

Top Bottom