• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are top tier characters good for starters?

Riisen

Smash Rookie
I have started playing brawl competitively about 5 mouths ago and I decided to main MK. Now I was wondering are mid tier chars good for starters or are top tier chars good for starters. I know Mario and Kirby are good for starters, but what about MK and Marth, they don't require to much tech skill. But is it better to start from the bottom to the top or stick with the character you have chosen first. P.S. I really need somebody to play with, my wifi is down so no online brawl for me and nobody around where I live plays brawl.

Ronmasta

Smash Rookie
Well, I would say that perhaps Marth isn't the "best" first player choice, unless you're pretty used to spacing or what not. Marth's tip of the blade is one of his strong points, and learning the amount of distance needed to make the best of it takes quite a lot of practice and experience. Not to mention effective usage of his counter, so personally I wouldn't recommend Marth for a starter. I can't really seem to think of some ideal starters other than the ones you've brought up already... But of course not everyone is defined to particular starters since people all play differently. As the above poster said, you may just have to experiment with each character a bit in Training mode (Yes, I said Training mode) to get used to their moves and determine the style that suits you best.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Why do people look at tiers and try to pick straight off of that? Play what seems interesting to you. Look at the character roster and try to get a feel for each character. If you feel comfortable playing that character, then that's the choice for you. Or if you want to pick a character because you like them from a certain series, then do that. Try not to follow tier lists, and don't give into peer pressure.

P.S. I know probably someone is going to say this, "Lol from a Meta Knight player", but I actually didn't choose MK due to him being op. I actually play MK different from most. Every now and then I'll choose not to play him because I hate picking top tier characters.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
, but what about MK and Marth, they don't require to much tech skill.
I disagree with this A LOT.

And I think the best characters for beginners are mid tier characters. But once you reach high level play (this will take a very long time), mid tier characters will not be good enough and you can switch a good character like metaknight.

nessokman

Smash Lord
top tier are the characters that are best competitively, although i disagree with the concept of tier lists. The top tier typically have some really weird techniques that make them good to use. I'd start in the middle and work my way up and down at the same rate as to best maximize my skills with all characters

Riisen

Smash Rookie
Why do people look at tiers and try to pick straight off of that?
I actually did not pick from the tier list, I have always favored MK and Marth over all the other characters in brawl, even before I started playing competitively and learning ATs. They both look awesome fighting causally and competitively, they look and sound awesome and can clearly hold their own.

Riisen

Smash Rookie
Well, I would say that perhaps Marth isn't the "best" first player choice, unless you're pretty used to spacing or what not. Marth's tip of the blade is one of his strong points, and learning the amount of distance needed to make the best of it takes quite a lot of practice and experience. Not to mention effective usage of his counter, so personally I wouldn't recommend Marth for a starter.
I started playing competitively 5 months, but I have had brawl for about 3 years and I have been playing pretty much MK and Marth the entire time. More so Marth though and I am very, very aware of Marth's tipper/spacing and as for counter, I feel that it's heavily underrated so I definitely try to improve upon that.

Same old thing of just go with what feels best.

Otherwise... about the topic in question. I do think playing multiple characters can help advance your involvement with other characters as well. Playing Mk/Marth is vastly different from each other and still similar in many ways. While again being very different from Ganon when it comes to how to approach playing smash.

Using MK/Marth, you ave able to throw out some attacks without to much concern for safety due to disjoint. However, on a whiff Marth is punishable. On MK whiffing with certain moves is not actually super punishable by everyone. With ganon, he lacks any sort of edge through movement or disjoint, so he has to rely upon waiting for your opponent to run into your moves for the most part. Striving for ideal character play would help you understand more about some of the limiting and important things in smash and eventually help with whatever character you end up playing.

As for a good starter, there is no tier range that feels as a greater starter to just get into smash with. To be honest, I think the best starter would be any character that does not require you to need to do much decision making. For example, DDD is pretty much grab, ftilt, waddle dees, and Bair. You do not need much else on the ground until you score a hit on someone. Other characters are like Ike where again jab is his best move in pretty much 90% of situations on the ground. Etc. Other characters like that are Snake, Olimar, and MK I believe. You can play an effective play-style with these characters by doing only a few things. That I think can help teach the basics when you are not getting bogged down by all the possible choices you could make.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
Marth is a great starting character because his tipper mechanic encourages the fundamentals of spacing a character's moves with their maximum range.

I say stick with him!

Top Bottom