• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are These Controller Mods Legal?

Mewtwo3469

Smash Rookie
I was thinking about getting a Multishine modded GameCube controller to start playing Melee, but I wanted to know if any of the mods that I was going to be getting would be legal in tournament. I'm going to list the mods that I want and I'd like if anyone could tell me if they are banned or not.

Wavedash and Sweetspot Notches
Left Trigger Spring Cut 75% or Removed
Button Pad Perforation
L and R Trigger Strain Reduction
Y and A button Height Reduction

Any insight is appreciated.

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure what you mean by button pad perforation. But as long as you aren't adding anything and just taking things away from a standard gamecube controller, you should be good.

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
  • Wavedash and Sweetspot Notches
This is definitely legal. Some tournaments might give you a slap on the wrist for it and you might have to use a different controller, but this is legal afaik.
  • Left Trigger Spring Cut 75% or Removed
Seeing as Smash 4 GameCube controllers don't have springs in them, this is 100% legal. Some people say getting it cut down can lead to unwanted inputs, though. Also no light shielding, which is more important than you'd think.
  • Button Pad Perforation
More than likely legal. Not like the TOs will know anyways. (this just makes buttons easier to press by making a small incision on the rubber)
  • L and R Trigger Strain Reduction
No idea what this does
  • Y and A button Height Reduction
I'd go ahead and say this is legal too.

Most mods that are illegal are ones that make multi-shining a one button press, ledgedashing, shield dropping, etc. Anything that involves a macro that can't be done at home is the easiest explanation. Controller case mods such as notches are okay afaik.

Mewtwo3469

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure what you mean by button pad perforation. But as long as you aren't adding anything and just taking things away from a standard gamecube controller, you should be good.
It makes the buttons easier to press

Mewtwo3469

Smash Rookie
  • Wavedash and Sweetspot Notches
This is definitely legal. Some tournaments might give you a slap on the wrist for it and you might have to use a different controller, but this is legal afaik.
  • Left Trigger Spring Cut 75% or Removed
Seeing as Smash 4 GameCube controllers don't have springs in them, this is 100% legal. Some people say getting it cut down can lead to unwanted inputs, though. Also no light shielding, which is more important than you'd think.
  • Button Pad Perforation
More than likely legal. Not like the TOs will know anyways. (this just makes buttons easier to press by making a small incision on the rubber)
  • L and R Trigger Strain Reduction
No idea what this does
  • Y and A button Height Reduction
I'd go ahead and say this is legal too.

Most mods that are illegal are ones that make multi-shining a one button press, ledgedashing, shield dropping, etc. Anything that involves a macro that can't be done at home is the easiest explanation. Controller case mods such as notches are okay afaik.
Thanks, also, I use R to shield, and L to wavedash, that's why I want L to be cut or Removed. For a faster input.

Mapes

Smash Rookie
They're not illegal but holy **** that company has the worst notches I've ever seen, it looks like they've just hacked at the gates semi randomly. They really obviously have no idea what the actual purpose of Melee notches is or that there's a careful process they need to be made and tested by. Those controllers will be unbearably annoying rather than help, please don't waste your money.

Top Bottom