• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are there names for these Ike moves?

RedZeshin

Smash Cadet
I've been playing Ike since release, and I found some moves that I haven't really seen mentioned anywhere. Is there a name for these?

1) For Ike, if you only slightly tilt the directional stick and enter A, it gives him a slightly different moveset. For example, his slight-tilt-up-A causes him to jump slightly with his sword held up horizontally. I looked carefully and noticed that you can also direct his slight-tilt-forward-a in different directions. You can aim his slash to the top-right, forward, and bottom-right. Don't know if this makes any difference or anything :p

2) For Ike's forward+b move, if you time it right you can get him to dash quickly in the opposite direction. So if you dash in one direction, you can quickly retreat back the other way using the same move if you time it right.

3) For his neutral A, if you press down in the middle of the combo you can connect into a smash attack. One weird thing I noticed is that if you do it a certain way, Ike will actually slide forward a bit while doing it. This is a weird one, couldn't really use it very well either.

Zoov

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Ike since release, and I found some moves that I haven't really seen mentioned anywhere. Is there a name for these?

1) For Ike, if you only slightly tilt the directional stick and enter A, it gives him a slightly different moveset. For example, his slight-tilt-up-A causes him to jump slightly with his sword held up horizontally. I looked carefully and noticed that you can also direct his slight-tilt-forward-a in different directions. You can aim his slash to the top-right, forward, and bottom-right. Don't know if this makes any difference or anything :p

2) For Ike's forward+b move, if you time it right you can get him to dash quickly in the opposite direction. So if you dash in one direction, you can quickly retreat back the other way using the same move if you time it right.

3) For his neutral A, if you press down in the middle of the combo you can connect into a smash attack. One weird thing I noticed is that if you do it a certain way, Ike will actually slide forward a bit while doing it. This is a weird one, couldn't really use it very well either.
Guess they're just basic mves, no-named.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I don't know if this is the case for Brawl, but the Player's Guide from Nintendo for Melee had the names of each attack.

The second point is most likely using IASA frames; perhaps they work different in Brawl? (In Melee, you couldn't do B moves during IASA frames, if I remember correctly.)

The third point is interesting; however, Ike's smashes (save for his DSmash) probably come out too slowly to get people consistently. Ike's jab combo isn't even a true combo - you can shield the last hit.

RedZeshin

Smash Cadet
Oh okay, so #1 is already pretty well known then, I figured as much hehe. I don't remember it being so well defined in Melee and I didn't notice it at first in Brawl, so I figured it was something new.

As for #2, I find it pretty convenient, cuz if I dash to hit somebody and they dodge it or jump away or sumthin, then I can dash away pretty quickly from any counter strikes and thus avoid getting hit.

As for #3, yeah, Ike's smashes are pretty slow, so this strange attack doesn't seem too effective. That slide thing is weird, but it only seems to work in combination with the smash, so it's not really a wave dash or anything like that unfortunately (you can't slide at will it seems). It's just that after you duck you slide forward a bit while going into the smash. Can't see how that could be useful, and since it's an ike smash it doesn't come out so quick.

Man, it's so exciting trying to figure out all this cool stuff for brawl!! XD well back to the grind hehe

Top Bottom