• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are there definitive "Best Characters" and "Worst Characters" yet?

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
My opinion:
(not in order)
Best: Pit, Marth, Olimar, Toon Link
Characters like Lucas, Diddy, and Wolf are good, but I wouldn't call them the best
Worst: Donkey Kong, Yoshi

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
This is total nonsense. There are no "best" and "worst" ones. You can become a great player with ANY character if you put your mind into it. Unfortunately, most people don't and just rely on hearsay, so then these baseless comments are now considered facts, which tarnishes the reputation of certain characters.
Yeah, like how I could easily lift as much weight as an Olympic weight lifter if I only... just... believed.

Unsmarty

Smash Rookie
Id say It's Hard to define characters as "Good" or "bad"
It really Depends on who's using them right?

Personally I think Pit is stacked...... Ike, Marth, Metaknight ect. are all good for me

I don't like Yoshi,Dedede,Dk ect.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
This leads to nowhere, everyone is saying different things and everyone has different opinions (which is fine, ofcourse), but it just doesn't work when you ask which is the best/worst, because everyone has experienced different things...

Also, I predict that heavy/strong characters will end up much higher on the tier list then everyone thinks

Koga

Smash Journeyman
From My expirience Pit>marth because of pits versatility. Pit just has so many answers to so many different questions the casts asks him.

neowulf297

Smash Rookie
All I know is that poor Yoshi keeps gett'n the shaft when it comes to being a good character.

Digital Limit

Smash Cadet
This leads to nowhere, everyone is saying different things and everyone has different opinions (which is fine, ofcourse), but it just doesn't work when you ask which is the best/worst, because everyone has experienced different things...

Also, I predict that heavy/strong characters will end up much higher on the tier list then everyone thinks
Conflicting answers put characters in the middle. It's pretty simple.

And there are no arguments over characters like Marth, so obviously something comes from this.

susu_atari

Smash Ace
Dedede ISN'T bad at all. He's the best edgeguarder Smash has ever seen. Multiple jumps and a massive recovery.

From what I gather, Toon Link and Diddy Kong are top teir. Bottom is Yoshi.

Nexus_of_Sanity

Smash Rookie
yeah, this is just turning into a discussion about which characters are the best and worst

Answer: NONE

some characters are better suited to people, but any character can be good if you learn to use them properly. I've never cared too much about tier systems anyway

HOWEVER, a way to test it would be to pit same level CPUs in a match. There's be a slightly aspect of luck, but mostly it would be like players of exactly equal skill levels. But the idea of pitting every char against every other one (with repeats to remove luck factor) would take WAY too long for me to actually want to

but IMO, I think Marth definitely has the best FS

Black/Light

Smash Master
I don't think that theres CLEAR CUT best and worst characters. . .just fan favorites at the moment.

My opinion pretty much changes with time. I SOOOO wanted to main Pitt before but when I started playing with him I was pretty let down because he didn't fit my melee playstyle (Falco was basicaly the only character I play back than). I got online, did more research and now I know how to use him alot better than before (as in, I can now beat lev 8 comps with him). I think he is good but not like Melee Fox/ Marth/ Sheik good.

For PT I thought that, deep inside, Squirt would probly over power the other 2. But when I got the game. . .holy crap, I thought he was hands down the worst of the 3 were as I could easyly spam Ivy's b move to rank damage and kill pretty fast. But that maybe because Im using the Num-chuck and I wasn't comfy in the air fighting. Now that Im getting use to fighting in the air he has come to the level of the other 2 in my mind (not = but still close).

I thought Wolf would be cool but he doesn't jump high enuff for me and I know that that wont change so I cant get over that. ZSS is corrently my personal best character and IDK why people are shifting Yoshi but I (someone who has never liked him in pass smashes) really like him in brawl. Sonic is tricky but he seems like a character that has to use more technical ways of killing with than someone like Fox. Ike feels like. . .playing in delay. And IMO Wario and Ike might prove to be the worst once people get better control over the characters.

I could say a host of other things but its all just personal opinion at this point. In truth I dont think that theres going to be nearly as much of a gap between characters as with melee in the end.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
Right now, I'd say that I see the best character(s) as...

Wolf, Pit, DeDeDe, Diddy Kong, Marth, and R.O.B.

Wolf is just so easy to pick up and his A-moves are just too good. I consider him a n00b cannon because the first time I played with him, I destroyed my friend who's been playing DeDeDe and Diddy Kong consistently. Working out his game is my next step.

Pit doesn't fit my playstyle, but I've seen him do some beastly things.

I'd also put Falco up there because I still love playign as him, even though he is a bit different than his Melee counterpart.

Worst characters.... Donkey Kong and Ness in my opinion. Also, Peach got the nerf.

zomg

Smash Rookie
"Best and worst" is completely dependant on your preferences and play style. You may suck with Sonic, but someone else could be amazing. You may not be able to grasp how to handle Snake, but some others will be using him like a pro.
This is what makes the game great, because it isn't about winning, its about winning with your favorites.
Right now "best" and "worst" don't really exist. And honestly, I hope it stays that way.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
We've only been playing for a few days now (most of us anyways.) There isn't anyway to come to a logical conclusion yet. The Melee tier list was still changing right before Brawl came out!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Dedede didn't fight that good when I first used him. I would've thought that he'd be the worst character in this game.

dan smith

Smash Champion
I don't think we should make tiers yet

Top Tier:
Toon Link
Diddy Kong
Olimar
Metaknight

High Tier:
Zamus
R.O.B
Wolf
Marth
Ike
Fox
Falco
Samus
Dedede
Captain Falcon
Pit
Sheik
Lucario
Pikachu
Game and Watch
Lucas

Low:
Pokemon Trainer
Kirby
Sonic
Mario
Wario
Snake
Zelda
Jigglypuff
Peach
Ice Climbers
Ness
Luigi
Donkey Kong

Bottom Tier:
Gannondorf
Link
Koopa
Yoshi

My level of certainty in these rankings: 100%

Seriously though, there is a lot of grey area. I'm pretty sure Toon Link, Diddy, Olimar, and Metaknight stand above the rest...and I'm pretty sure Yoshi, Koopa, Link, and Ganon are the bottom...but everything in between is really close.

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
Top Tier:
Toon Link
Diddy Kong
Olimar
Metaknight

High Tier:
Zamus
R.O.B
Wolf
Marth
Ike
Fox
Falco
Samus
Dedede
Captain Falcon
Pit
Sheik
Lucario
Pikachu
Game and Watch
Lucas

Low:
Pokemon Trainer
Kirby
Sonic
Mario
Wario
Snake
Zelda
Jigglypuff
Peach
Ice Climbers
Ness
Luigi
Donkey Kong

Bottom Tier:
Gannondorf
Link
Koopa
Yoshi

My level of certainty in these rankings: 100%

Seriously though, there is a lot of grey area. I'm pretty sure Toon Link, Diddy, Olimar, and Metaknight stand above the rest...and I'm pretty sure Yoshi, Koopa, Link, and Ganon are the bottom...but everything in between is really close.
I'm not saying this guy is right, but I certainly agree with this guy's list. It's too early to be sure, though.

Personally I'd move R.O.B. up to top tier and DK down to Bottom Tier.

To answer the topic question: there is no definitive list yet, and may never be if the game designers did a great job.

dan smith

Smash Champion
I'm not saying this guy is right, but I certainly agree with this guy's list. It's too early to be sure, though.

Personally I'd move R.O.B. up to top tier and DK down to Bottom Tier.

To answer the topic question: there is no definitive list yet, and may never be if the game designers did a great job.
I put DK a little high cause of personal favor.

ROB is really good too. I have trouble beating him with Diddy, that means something.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
If I had to take a wild guess (which is pretty much all you are going to get at this point), I'd say Marth, Fox, Falco, and Wolf will be the most used characters in the professional circuit. This doesn't necessarily mean that they are the best, but I definately think that they will be more prominent in the tourney scene. Metaknight, King Dedede and Pit could definately be in there as well.

I know someone else has mentioned this already, but I'll stress it again due to its importance, heavier / slower characters are going to do better than a lot of people think. Due to balancing, it is certainly more viable to choose a heavier 'power' character. I've seen a lot of people rate Bowser as one of the "worst" characters, and I can certainly tell that those people are in for a big surprise down the road.

Artillery

Smash Rookie
If I had to take a wild guess (which is pretty much all you are going to get at this point), I'd say Marth, Fox, Falco, and Wolf will be the most used characters in the professional circuit. This doesn't necessarily mean that they are the best, but I definately think that they will be more prominent in the tourney scene. Metaknight, King Dedede and Pit could definately be in there as well.

I know someone else has mentioned this already, but I'll stress it again due to its importance, heavier / slower characters are going to do better than a lot of people think. Due to balancing, it is certainly more viable to choose a heavier 'power' character. I've seen a lot of people rate Bowser as one of the "worst" characters, and I can certainly tell that those people are in for a big surprise down the road.
I completely agree with this post. I DECIMATED a fairly good DeDeDe with DK with over two stock lead. Some heavy-hitters can fight each other on the evens(Gannondorf and DK) or fight medium-speed players(Mario/Ness/Pikachu and DK/Bowser/Ike) with EXTREMELY good success rate. Ganondorf only needs to land about 3-6 hits on you before he can knock you out, and with a spike, even sooner. Bowser got faster, and he's a lot better overall now. Ike is a beast of strength. Enough said, to atleast elimanate the HEAVY CHARACTERS ARE DOOMED theories? Atleast test DK before you say, "Off to the dump heap."

Dimetrodon

Smash Rookie
I agree that heavy characters will probably be more viable than in Melee, but the fact still remains that faster characters will always have an advantage over them. Power doesn't do you any good if you can't hit the enemy. There may not be as big of a speed gap between the fast and slow characters, but that gap is still there.

Digital Limit

Smash Cadet
I am really excited to see if Sonic makes it into the upper tiers.

It seems like he's one of those quintessential characters in terms of learning curve given his speed relative to lack of effective moves, heh.

orintemple

Smash Lord
The thing with Sonic is that he can run circles around almost anyone if you play him right. I think he has the Olimar deal, where he is deadly in the right hands but play him wrong and you will be destroyed.

I feel like every character, except maybe a few, could be viable for tourneys. Everyone seems to be able to fight everyone and the fact that heavy characters are no longer nearly useless is AWESOME!

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
The more tiers there are the more difference there is between characters. In melee there were 5 tiers, ranging from Mewtwo to Fox

Brawl has characters that are better and worse than others but the difference is DEFINATELY not as great as it was in melee. I'm guessing 3 tiers, or even 2 tiers with mostly everyone and 1 top tier for that 1 character that is significantly better than everyone else due to a glitch.

So far, the people who are turning out BETTER (not top, and not from personal xperience, by tons of lurking) are Pit, Marth, Toon Link, Fox,(falco and wolf are not stated because several have claimed them to be average characters. Falco, with the patch in mind, was called to be on the same level as fox AND also called the worst of the space animals. This split praise most likely represents an average character, not an above average one), and maybe MK (worse version of pit, but has some insane combos, seems like an average character but meh, I'll keep him here for now)

Characters that are way to deep to tell what tier they are:
PT
Olimar

Snake
(this char seems to be most representative of player skill, but unlike those above, this char isn't one that may go "both ways," he seems FAR too crafty to end up on the lower spectrum. Expect him mid and then to high when the peak of his potential is found)

Zelda/Sheik
(zelda is definitely better than sheik since she has both combos AND knockback, but sheik still has all the insane advantages she had in melee, except for things that made her broken like her fair. Seperately they are both mid tier characters, but if someone can find a way to rack up dmg with sheik and kill with zelda, than these combined characters' potential will be MUCH greater)

Characters that I worry about (again these aren't significantly worse chars, unless stated, they are chars that seem to have generally less potential than the others):

Ganon (he is slower but has more knockback, and thus is played completely differently than in melee, don't know what this bode's for him though)

Yoshi (again plays much different than melee since he doesn't have the glitch that he had in melee, but if you disregard the glitch he is better in everyway. Yoshi will be played much differently this time around so we still don't know where he'll land)

Falcon (definately across the board worse than melee, but he was by far overpowered in melee so would this make him average? Probably but too soon to tell)

Peach (float canceling is out, this was VERY important for competitive players, so is her Dsmash. Other than that shes gotten improvements so peach may still have hope, her potential, though, is worse than in melee for sure, I'm just not sure where this will put her)

Samus (projectile game semi-nerfed. Her neutral b's kill power is hardcore nerfed but it comes out faster and her missles are faster too, so you lose one thing and get better damage capabilities, not a good tradeoff overall but its not as bad as everyone makes it look. Shes more combo oriented, and once again, plays differently, though unlike peach, its too early to say whether or not shes been definitively nerfed from her melee counterpart or whether or not this will make her lower tier, doubt it though)

IMPORTANT NOTE: Link is by NO WAY worse than before and a horrible character. If you mained Link in melee you would know that nerfing tether recovery and Spin attack WHILE IMPROVING range and speed is DEFINATELY more of a buff than a nerf. His projectiles are leagues better than before, and i've heard that Char Ratings Thread call his projectiles weak, and if thats so Toon Link's is abysmal.

Link has arguably one of the best projectile games in the game, next to snake, and is definately turning out to be an average char... remember he was mid tier in melee, and he was BUFFED since then

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
I think the only safe call at this point is that Yoshi sucks. I've also yet to see Ganon perform very well.

Why people keep saying Toon Link is top and Link is bottom is totally beyond me still, I can't figure it out at all...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's safe to say that Fox, Marth, Meta Knight, and Falco are the top dogs in this game.

Regarding the worst, I've always thought Dedede was the worst fighter, but then I've received words about the ways he can fight without using those slow smash attacks. Still, I'm not that good with him.

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
I think the only safe call at this point is that Yoshi sucks. I've also yet to see Ganon perform very well.

Why people keep saying Toon Link is top and Link is bottom is totally beyond me still, I can't figure it out at all...
why is it safe to say he sucks? please elaborate. I think you may be right about ganon as people even in the ganon community are saying he is nerfed, yet others say he is just different, so meh, to early to tell. Personal experience should just be a factor in telling if a char is good or not, the smash competitive community (smash boards) is a good indicator how good a char is .

Toon link has insane comboes and I honestly think he deserves to be top, as I said above, people who think link is bottom are deluded

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
why is it safe to say he sucks? please elaborate.
As far as I'm concerned, that stupid 2nd jump and lack of recovery will always make him bad relatively speaking. All his specials are fairly useless and easily countered, and throughout his whole moveset nothing stands out to make him really great. I would be significantly surprised if he could make it even a tier up from bottom...

Toon link has insane comboes and I honestly think he deserves to be top, as I said above, people who think link is bottom are deluded
I can't even figure out how TL > Link at all, as Link seems to do everything TL does with better range and damage...

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
Best: Marth, Wolf

Worst: Dedede
NO WAY, dude. Dedede is really good. His aerials are much better than I would ever expect, and he's a heavyweight...with multiple jumps AND a projectile! Not to mention...he chaingrabs!

I've also been seeing Ganon hate. I'm not sure if he's truly better than he was in Melee or that people are assuming he's bad coz Falcon got nerfed, but Ganon DEFINITELY outshines Falcon now. His Warlock Punch is almost as fast as Falcon's, and twice as powerful, and almost every move has KO

Anyways:

Best: Marth, Wolf, Pit, Toon Link
Worst: Yoshi, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff (DANG YOU SAKURAI FOR NERFING HER!)

mjaut

Smash Rookie
I think we can definetly say that wolf is a top tier, all of his smashes are awesome + his laser is also really good :p but! his recovery suck =O

Zek

Smash Ace
As far as I'm concerned, that stupid 2nd jump and lack of recovery will always make him bad relatively speaking. All his specials are fairly useless and easily countered, and throughout his whole moveset nothing stands out to make him really great. I would be significantly surprised if he could make it even a tier up from bottom...
Well you don't know what you're talking about. Yoshi has an excellent set of aerials(especially his b-air and u-air) and tilts, his eggs are a really solid projectile as always, and without DJC his edgeguarding game is incredible. Nobody's calling him a contender for top tier but to claim that he's obviously the worst character in the game is just ignorant. Don't bash a character you don't play.

trio1000

Smash Apprentice
wow everyone is so undecided. just a couple posts above some one put kirby top and the next guy put him bottom.

i say just play who you pwon with, be it dk or marth

Top Bottom