• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are there any mario guides out there ?

acojan

Smash Apprentice
hi guys ! I love mario's new fludd and i want to start learning to use him cuz i decided to replace the ness with the italian plumber.

i cannot seem to find any guides at all for mario in brawl aside from that stupid ign video guide which is practiaclly useless..... help !!

???????

Smash Journeyman
I will help you, and I am working on a guide for Mario. Just ask me some questions and I'll try to answer them for you.

???????

Smash Journeyman
To start you off you need to learn the stutter step to give you better range with your Fsmash; the simplest way to stutter step is use the C-stick to smash the opposite direction you're facing and you should have a lot better range.

???????

Smash Journeyman
The fireballs are best short hopped and used to follow up with attacks such as fireball to a short hopped Dair or a Dsmash. Fireballs are also useful for disrupting your opponent's attacks such as stopping smash attacks, specials, or aerials (You can use fireballs when recovering from up high to stop your opponent from edgeguarding you with aerials). Fireballs are a main part of Mario's approach but make sure your opponent gets hit before you follow up with an attack.

*You can spam fireballs a bit like you could spam Dr. Mario's pills in Melee (The pills are still better though...)*

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
There is a guide at Brawl Central. It's so-so.

I'd be writing a guide, except that I suck and I procrastinate a lot. Also I don't get to play Smash a lot, so I haven't been able to test out everything I want to yet.

If anyone wants to see what I do have and expand upon it, I'll PM it to you.

acojan

Smash Apprentice
thx for the help guys --- i was wondering too ... what does the up-special do ? aside from being used for recovery

also .. how do i use the down arial ? i can't seem to get it to hit properly .....

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I don´t know any good guides, I´m sorry, but I have already promised that I´ll make a F.L.U.D.D. guide after Brawl´s European release (like anyone cares then anymore...)

Edit: Up-b is really situational when used as an attack, but this should give you some idea of how it can be used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GzFSCCQJ8E

???????

Smash Journeyman
The F.L.U.D.D. is a very good tool both for edgeguarding and spacing. Most commonly used for edgeguarding is the Superman combo which is simply F.L.U.D.D. to cape (Push your opponent away from the ledge with the F.L.U.D.D. and then push them even further with the cape; this can be done multiple times consecutively); time the F.L.U.D.D. and try to use it to stop the momentum of their second jump, use it when they're put into helpless from their final recovery move, or position them for an attack. The F.L.U.D.D. is also good for spacing and diverting attacks such as smash attacks or aerials (You can use the F.L.U.D.D. to divert your opponent’s aerials when you're being edgeguarded and push your opponent away from the ledge). The F.L.U.D.D. is very good because it can't reflected (For the exception of Mario's cape), it can't truly be blocked, and other reflectors simply negate the pushback temporarily.

*Try to use F.L.U.D.D. at a bit of a range since its startup is a little slow*

*Remember to aim for the tip of the head for maximum pushback*

???????

Smash Journeyman
The Up B is good to stage spike and kills at high percents (Around 250-300, and 150-200 on airborne opponents; it can kill at lower percents on stages with low ceilings). The Up B is sometimes good as an aerial due to its raw speed but leaves him in helpless afterwards; basically, use Mario's Up B about as much as you would use Marth's. As an edgeguard you could try repeatedly using the Up B to hit opponents above you by fast falling and grabbing the edge after each Up B, but it's really risky because your opponent can move around you and gimp you if you become too predictable (Up B is a surprise tactic).

???????

Smash Journeyman
The Dair is best used from the side as a short hopped rising aerial; make sure you DI to make sure the last hit hits.

acojan

Smash Apprentice
omg ???????? !! ur so helpfull -- haha last question ... does marios f-arial have a sweetspot or does it always spike ?

???????

Smash Journeyman
The Fair has a bit of a sweet spot but basically you just hit with it when the fist is coming down, otherwise you get odd horizontal knockback (The horizontal knockback is good but it's hard to really utilize).

???????

Smash Journeyman
Another bit of advice, fox-trot and walk instead of always running (Running is faster and you can still use it but fox-trotting and walking allow you to keep in complete control over your momentum, movement, and spacing).

???????

Smash Journeyman
You know when you start to run and you automatically go a certain distance at the beginning of a dash, you start your initial dash and then stop for a moment so you can do it again and do you can do this continuously.

*Dash-dancing is essentially fox-trotting just back and forth quickly*

*If you have more questions: http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Fox-trot (Don't worry about the tripping, it still won't matter much)*

*Also, work on having both a good ground game and air game (Be balanced, don't neglect your ground game)*

Top Bottom