• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Are stage bosses/interactive NPCs an interesting addition or a cheap gimmick?

Are stage bosses/interactive NPCs an interesting addition or a cheap gimmick?

• Total voters

Strofirko

Smash Master
So,after the release on japan,a lot of information started to circulate about the new 3DS stages over smash communities,some of them has something called stage bosses,not many of them are ingame,actually only 4 stages has this new gimmick these ones are:

Willy´s Castle-Yellow Devil

Find Mii-Dark Emperor

Magicant-Flying Man

Pac Maze- The four pacman ghosts

Each one has a different way to defeat or assist the player:
Yellow Devil has a weak spot on the eye,and the player which gets last deals extra damage on his oponents
Dark emperor can change status for certain players with different colors but can leave the arena if the mii on the cage is released.
The flying man can assist the player which summons him first.
The pacman ghosts wander around the scenario but can be defeated by the player who gets the power pellet after collecting 100 pac dots.

Before smash 4 we had things like this but in a very simple way in the cases of Mario Bros Stage on Brawl,who had some enemies like the turtles/crabs easily defeatable.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
During the smash direct I thought they were optional things you could turn off like items. Now that I know they aren't, I hate them. (Curse you Yellow Devil for ruining a perfect stage!)

FinalArcadia

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalArcadia
I actually think they're nice to have to mix things up, but it depends on how you're playing and the context of your match.

Stuff like that is fun for making a really hectic (in a good way) game among friends in a casual setting, just hanging around having a good time. When you're wanting a serious match to really test your skills against someone though, yeah, they're kind of a distraction and obstruction. But if the Omega version of the stages eliminate them, that's a fair enough way to work around the bosses/NPCs, though an option to turn them off regardless of Omega/Normal would be helpful.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I used to like the idea...then I saw tons of gameplay footage of Magicant and Wily's Castle.

Annoying and appear faaaar too much.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I like these, but the fact that you can't turn them off is what makes them bad for so many people. Also, they seem to appear just a bit too often for people to get into any sort of fighting grove.

Just like how the items never stop showing up unless you turn them off.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
I would say it's a bad gimmick if it was more widespread, but only 4 of them (IMO 3 because flying man is more of an assist trophy stage feature), so it's fine.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They had potential, but they change the flow of gameplay too much.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
I like the idea, but they should go away permanently when defeated once. Wily Castle would actually be reasonably as a pick for funsies if he stayed dead once defeated. What's more unfortunate is that they aren't possible to turn off, if they were just disablable without choosing the Omega Version of a stage there'd b no problem.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
If there was an option to turn off the bosses/npc's I wouldn't mind the idea, but since they completely ruin neat levels I don't like it.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
They are interesting up until the point where they do more work than the actual fighters....

Bird man on the Earthbound stage kicks ***

Also, they ruined amazing stages. Bird man, Yellow Devil, and Ridley are all dream crushers.

Last edited:

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
I like myself some good stage hazards (Pirate Ship is one of my favorite stages) but they just do way to much.

there is NO reason why you should not be able to toggle them on or off

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Not going to lie I do like them but they make stages almost unplayable from a competitive stand point. I would rather have them remove.

I really wish there was a battlefield version of all stages...

Last edited:

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
During the smash direct I thought they were optional things you could turn off like items. Now that I know they aren't, I hate them. (Curse you Yellow Devil for ruining a perfect stage!)
Uhhh Wily's Castle Omega Mode is pretty much Wily's Castle without the Yellow Devil.

Ashpash

Smash Rookie
The boss type stage hazards are a bit too intrusive I think, at least if you're playing "traditionally" or for friendly competition matches.

But who knows, they could actually be really fun! Especially some of the scrolling stages (I think 3D land? maybe Paper Mario too?)

Anyone ever played against their friends competitively on Rainbow Cruise or Brinstar before? I definitely recommend it!

Renji64

Smash Lord
They are a terrible addition and are very annoying they ruin the pace of the match. I wish there was a boss/stage hazard switch.

Raijinken

Smash Master
They're a cool idea, but the inability to toggle them off short of going Flat Mode on every stage is rather disappointing.

Tater

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Taternater
3DS FC
2406-5307-2936
I haven't played the game so my opinion doesn't hold as much weight as the opinions of those who have, but the stage bosses look like a neat idea for casual play with friends, but they have no place for competitive play and ruined (competitively) some otherwise good stages. As mentioned in an earlier post it's a shame that the stage bosses can't be toggled like items can.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Can't wait to see 'em mess up everything when playing with friends!
I'm thinking about playing to see who can beat the Yellow Devil first. We'll see.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
I really like the bosses... No real reason... I just like the thought of Falcon Punching the Yellow Devil...

Top Bottom