• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are some characters more popular in smash than their own games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
Here are the games that have me wondering, and my reasons why.

Starfox
I haven't played a Starfox game since N64, but Fox and Falco are very prominent in smash. Wolf may or may not be in this game, and I see people regularly requesting more Starfox representatives. Do people really play Starfox this much, or do they just like the characters because of smash?

Fire Emblem
From what I understand, these games are way more popular in Japan. I've only played the GameCube one, and it was pretty fun. I find it difficult, however, to believe this series is played much by any but hardcore RPG fans in the US. Fire Emblem now has at least 4 representatives in this game, and people seem to want even more.

It seems there can be 3 kind of fans:
  • Those who loved the character before smash.
  • Those who became fans through smash, and then became fans of the original series as a result.
  • Those who became fans through smash, but never played or don't care for the original series.
I'm curious where most of you fall with your favorite characters.

Last edited:

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
Haha, yeah, Falcon is definitely the obvious one. It's really funny when you think about how much of the character's traits were just created for smash.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
:4pit: / :4palutena: - Uprising happened and I fell in love with it

:4lucina: - Always liked her to begin with; Smash gave me a whole new perspective on mah gurl LuLu and her manifold talents

:4robinf: - I play a female Avatar in Awakening, so seeing a "canon" Avatar was a bit of a surprise, but I like what they've done with her

:4falcon: - Melee got me into F-Zero and I love it

:4greninja: - My brother's the Pokémon fan, though I've always had a soft spot for this little guy; he's easily my favourite of any starter

:4zss: - Zero Mission is actually my favourite Metroid game, so this is a nice shout-out to a superb installment in the series

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm actually pretty disappointed that Captain Falcon is more know for being a Smash character than an F-Zero one.

If you didn't buy F-Zero GX I actively hate you, just so you know.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Ness. Atleast in NA
Oh that's a good one actually because Smash is the only games Ness appeared in in Europe, because the Mother series was non-existent here until a year ago.

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Definitely the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch. Their games are long forgotten.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Let's not forget Roy. He's actually one of the least popular protagonists in all of Fire Emblem, and considered really lackluster in his game.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Definitely the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch. Their games are long forgotten.
G&W and ROB do have a lot of cameos in several Nintendo games and their history is very significant. Good call on Ice Climbers though.

I'm expecting Shulk to be on the list soon enough.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Characters that got me interested in their games are:

:4marth::4myfriends:,:4pit: and :4olimar:. Though about the Pikmin Series, I mainly want to try the Wii U version.

I would say :4falcon: is way more popular due to his Smash appearance rather than his own game.

:4sonic: goes along with Captain Falcon I bet since he is a long time rival of :4mario:.

I don't know about :4pacman: either way.

:4shulk: is a character I liked once I figured out he was a part of the Nintendo Family.

Characters like: :4littlemac::4villager::4megaman::4dedede: were ones that I always wanted in Smash Brothers ever since the 64 version.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
:4falcon: Obviously. Falcon Punch is so popular that it made it into the anime and HE BLOWS UP A ******* GALAXY!
:4fox: NO ITEMS! FOX ONLY! FINAL DESTINATION!!!
:4myfriends: I fight for my friends. You'll have no sympathy from me. Prepare your self.
:4sheik: Melee gave Sheik reputation, more specific M2K.
:4marth: The reason why Fire Emblem made it to America. I don't think Ken has ever played FE.
:4zss: Bewbs. She gets more spotlight than in Metroid.
:ness2: PK FIRE!
:popo: Chaingrabs are cheap.
:lucas:What is a Lucas?
:4pit: The reason why Uprising even exists.
:roymelee: HE DEBUTED IN SMASH BROS. Literally. And he is not well liked in FE because he sucks.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Fire emblem- did not know their games existed until smash
Ice climbers- same with them and me game and watch
I had no clue who pit was either so smash really makes money for other franchises too

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
:4falcon: for sure, personally. Ness and Lucas were at one point as well, but I feel I can call myself a pretty big fan of the MOTHER series now (although I still need to actually get started playing MOTHER 3).

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
I'm actually pretty disappointed that Captain Falcon is more know for being a Smash character than an F-Zero one.

If you didn't buy F-Zero GX I actively hate you, just so you know.
I for one owned and played one of the old F-Zero games (I think SNES if that existed). I have no recollection of Captain Falcon except from smash. All I remember from F-Zero is how flashy the courses looked and the speed.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
I would say every Fire Emblem character before Lucina and Robin got their popularity because of Smash (Smash will multiply their popularity now) Then there's Captain Falcon, Ness, Lucas, Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch especially, and as much as I hate to say it: people know more about Samus with or without her power suit through Smash than through Metroid. People can recall Samus better in Smash than any Metroid game from the last ten years. This may not have been the case if people only take into account the first four or five games, but we are kinda far enough away from 2002 for this to happen.

PAPCGyE

Smash Apprentice
I remember unlock C. Falcon on the N64 and asking myself "WTF is this character?" Now I can't imagine a Smash game without him. :falcon64: :falconmelee: :falcon: :4falcon:

Chase

Smash Ace
:4falcon: and :4fox: - F-Zero and Star Fox have become my favorite Nintendo Franchises outside of the big five (Mario, Pokémon, Donkey Kong, Zelda, and Kirby)
:4olimar: - Made me try Pikmin 1 (New Play Control), hated it. Made me try Pikmin 3, adored it.
:4megaman: - I've been playing too much X.
:substitute: (Takamaru) - Even though he isn't playable, Murasame Castle is slowly rising into my favorites.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I disagree that Ike is more liked in Smash; among people that have played PoR/RD, he's usually a favorite/well-liked Lord.

Now :roymelee:....don't get me started on him.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Roy is liked way more in the Smash fandom than in the FE fandom. He's more likely to rank as the least-liked Lord in polls (competing mostly with Micaiah) than the favorite and his game is considered among the worse in the series. That's why the amount of people who want him back in Smash really baffles me, because 99.8% of them probably haven't played his game and most of them probably have never played a Fire Emblem game, either, since FE fans typically want someone else representing the series. I mean, I'm sure there are multiple characters who are more popular in Smash than their own series, but the fandom for their series probably at least likes them. Couple it with the fact that Melee was released before his own game...yeah.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Like Spinosaurus said; Mother wasn't a thing here until we FINALLY got Earthbound on VC.

So:ness2: and DEFINITELY :lucas:, just by not being characters that appeared everywhere in the world.

:roypm: Likewise Roy.

Definitely :pit: at one point too. Prior to Uprising I wonder how many of this fanbase played the original Kid Icarus...I'd of counted Palutena, but she became popular before her initial appearance.

:popo: Without a doubt. I even played their game as a kid and remember it being not overly impressive. The original Kid Icarus was a better vertical scroller.

:jigglypuff: Whilst not an unknown Puff is FAR from popular outside Smash. Likewise :ivysaur: as an awkward middle stage and unlike Pikachu and Squirtle, or even Puff; didn't make frequent appearances in the anime.
At one point :4lucario:was also this, but that's altered due to him being pushed forward so much.

Also these guys:
:rob::4wiifit::4sheik:

Actually the list's surprisingly large.

Last edited:

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
:4villager:
Characters that got me interested in their games are:

:4marth::4myfriends:,:4pit: and :4olimar:. Though about the Pikmin Series, I mainly want to try the Wii U version.

I would say :4falcon: is way more popular due to his Smash appearance rather than his own game.

:4sonic: goes along with Captain Falcon I bet since he is a long time rival of :4mario:.

I don't know about :4pacman: either way.

:4shulk: is a character I liked once I figured out he was a part of the Nintendo Family.

Characters like: :4littlemac::4villager::4megaman::4dedede: were ones that I always wanted in Smash Brothers ever since the 64 version.
:4villager: didn't exist yet in 1999.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom