• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are ROB and Robot separate characters?

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
If they are, then the western versions of Smash 4 would be NES ROB's first appearance in a Smash game. I bring this up because the default colour for ROB in the western versions of this game are grey and white, while the Japanese version is red and white. Either that, or ROB gets a different paint job when he goes to different places, which is unlikely.

Strofirko

Smash Master
They are the same thing,but ROB is called robot in japan and it was sold with famicom colors,on america he was sold with the grey NES colors.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I know that it's a reference to how they were coloured different in America and Japan, but are the characters ROB and Robot actually separate characters?

Strofirko

Smash Master
I know that it's a reference to how they were coloured different in America and Japan, but are the characters ROB and Robot actually separate characters?
Nope they are just alts.
And about the names its like Black pit =Japan dark pit=America

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
No, just different names. Calling them separate characters is like calling the NES and Famicom different consoles.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
They are different consoles, though.
No they aren't.
Robot is what he was called in Japan, while in America it was changed to ROB to fit the acronym. And since Japan's rob was famicom colored, and america's was new colored, they just did the same with smash. They just changed the default color, in Japan hit X once for American colors, and in America hit x once for Japanese colors.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, first off, ROB isn't a character in the general sense - it was a peripheral. It was the same thing, just coloured differently.

That's like calling the Black Wii and the White Wii as different "characters", when the only difference is a coat of paint, which is true in ROB's case as well.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
But ROB is a character since he has appeared in loads of different video games. He ain't just a peripheral anymore.

So ROB and Robot aren't separate characters? ROB is a cooler name though, you got to admit.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
But ROB is a character since he has appeared in loads of different video games. He ain't just a peripheral anymore.

So ROB and Robot aren't separate characters? ROB is a cooler name though, you got to admit.
"Are Villager and Murabito different characters?"
"Are Rockman and Megaman different characters?"

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
"Are Villager and Murabito different characters?"
"Are Rockman and Megaman different characters?"
I have no idea about the first one, but Mega Man and Rockman were set to be separate characters in Mega Man Universe. Anyway, what point are you trying to make? I've already said that ROB and Robot arent separate characters. Are you patronising me or something?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You guys are completely missing the point here.
I get what you're saying, and I agree for the most part.
I wouldn't consider the Famicom and NES to the same console either.

That being said, the Famicom Robot and R.O.B are peripherals. Robot and R.O.B. in Smash is a character, and in this context the only thing differentiating them is regional differences.
So in the context of Smash Bros, saying "R.O.B." and "Robot" are different characters is like saying "Mega Man" and "Rock Man" are different characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom