• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Are Masterpieces a good idea for Smash 4?

the8thark

Smash Lord
Are Masterpieces a good idea for Smash 4?
I know in Brawl I played a few of them once and that was it. Just to see how the worked out in Brawl, that's it. Past that I don't see them getting much use at all in SSB4. Do you like them in SSB4 or do you think the disc space / development time on them could have been been better spent in other ways?

Khao

Smash Lord
It's not exactly a good idea in that they're kind of completely unnecesary, no one ever asked for them, and not many would miss them, yet they're still here for some reason.

As for the last point... The disk space / development time on these things is most likely insignificant (most likely as in what the **** are they even doing to add these things if it's not) so what the heck. They're probably just rom dumps (mostly of NES and SNES games which are tiny to hilarious levels) running on a built-in emulator. I highly doubt there was any effort put into making these work beyond making sure the time-limit worked correctly, which is nothing.

S2

Smash Lord
Weren't these in Brawl? It's been a while, but I thought at last the Japanese version of Brawl had a version of this. It's really just a bunch of on-disc demos to sell you e-shop releases. I doubt much thought or effort went into it.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
I never touched them in brawl and ill probably never touch these either. i have most of the games shown anyways. yes even Earthbound

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Weren't these in Brawl? It's been a while, but I thought at last the Japanese version of Brawl had a version of this. It's really just a bunch of on-disc demos to sell you e-shop releases. I doubt much thought or effort went into it.
Yes they were in Brawl too.

Spirst

I don't see how masterpieces aren't a good idea. It's extra content that takes up such an insignificant amount of space that it's negligible. Plus, if you play a game, and actually like it, you can just get it on the e-shop. If you don't care about, you never have to touch it. Everyone wins.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Well in Brawl, there was a way to hack it so you could play all the games without a time limit. It's like free advertising for Nintendo really.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Consider that Smash is targeted toward children. Masterpieces would most likely be their first and only experience with the classics. if nothing else it's good, free, and easy advertising. Plus nostalgia.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Masterpieces are great, it give you a reason to buy the game if you haven't played it yet so you not have to waste your money if you don't like the game.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Masterpieces take up a very tiny amount of disc space, so I don't see a problem with keeping them.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
It's kind of a waste of development time and resources, though I suppose they figure it pays for itself, so whatever.

Personally, rather than making me want to buy the games on Virtual Console, it makes me wish the VC didn't exist at all, because then they would be the full games, like on Animal Crossing GC.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
From a marketing perspective, this is brilliant on Nintendo's part, even if I'll most likely never touch them outside of Earthbound.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
I wish it was a single level instead of a time limit. I hate feeling rushed. I never used them too much in Brawl, but they are cool nonetheless.

KirbySS44

Smash Cadet
Masterpieces are basically playable demos of virtual console games, why else is there an option to go to the eshop in-game?

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
Still better than "Chronicle". I hope we get some Fire Emblem Masterpieces!

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I don't have a problem with them being there (I actually like the idea of demos for classic games), but the time limit system is awful. I tried playing a few games in Brawl, but I felt rushed and didn't enjoy it at all. They should make them more like actual game demos: give you a level or two you can play an unlimited amount.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I don't have a problem with them being there (I actually like the idea of demos for classic games), but the time limit system is awful. I tried playing a few games in Brawl, but I felt rushed and didn't enjoy it at all. They should make them more like actual game demos: give you a level or two you can play an unlimited amount.
The problem is that requires them to edit the game code a bit, which is a lot more work. Slapping a time limit on an emulated rom is way easier.

Of course, the REAL answer is that there should just be no time limit whatsoever. 10 years ago these would have been legitimate unlockables rather than glorified advertising for the eshop.

I own the physical cart of literally every game they showed off, but it's still stupid.

Last edited:

Raido

Smash Apprentice
Of course it's a good idea. Many people don't know the origins of the Smash characters.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Of course it's a good idea. Many people don't know the origins of the Smash characters.
Might as well just have a little video or blurb then, particularly considering most of the more obscure characters aren't featured there.

Metaboss

Smash Rookie
They might not be the best idea, but they aren't a bad idea. Since this way even if it is a few it will work and get some money for Ninty.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Since this game is supposed to be bigger than Brawl, they should have longer time limits on the demos.

Like 20 minutes for Ocarina of Time.

Heh heh.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Since they're a bonus, I understand why there is a time limit. Nintendo is not going to give out these games for free if there's the virtual console. It gives players a chance to play games they never would have otherwise.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Saying Master Piece, a.k.a. game demos, are a waste of time is like saying throwing 50 cents into a water fountain and saying it's a waste of money.

Seriously, most, if not all the games they shown can be played on an Android Phone. You can download emulators for the full game of some of the titles they shown and play them on your smart phone for free.

Putting them on disk, I bet, took no less than an hour of development time, if even.

Top Bottom