• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are Helpless Falls Necessary?

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
After using your up special in many platform fighters you end up in a helpless state. All you can do is move left or right while falling in the air. While every character has a helpless fall a few don't end up in this state after using their up special like Sonic or Megaman. This is most likely to make up for their up specials not being able to do damage.

But I often find myself wondering if the Helpless Fall is even needed.

Would the game change in a positive or a negative way if we removed the helpless fall and let us be able to use the double jump if it wasn't already used or at least standard air attacks to defend ourselves from edge guarding? In other words; in place of the helpless fall every form of recovery method merely has a set number of uses while in the air and none of them are dependent on each other. So you could something like FIRST JUMP -> UP SPECIAL -> AIR DODGE -> DOUBLE JUMP and still be able to use standard air attacks as a last resort of aerial defense.

What are your thoughts?

helpless.jpg

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'm mixed on this idea. On the one hand, I dig the mixup potential, and it would be nice for the rare occasion I unintentionally buffer an up B offstage and die. On the other hand, around 90% of recoveries in Ultimate are ones I'd classify as too strong. I don't like that the risk/reward is so heavily skewed out of my favor if I go for an edgeguard against most of the cast, and this would only skew things out of my favor further. Shame I can't play Ultimate on a patch that has this. I feel like I'd have to play with this change on to discern whether it's one I'd like or not.

Top Bottom