• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are glitches banned in tournament?

jihaeng29

Smash Rookie
I was watching vods of Wobbles at Forte 3 and he activates a freeze glitch on SFAT. I was curious about the glitch so I looked it up on Smashpedia (http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Freeze_glitch) and it said that the glitch was banned in tournament. Then I started thinking about the invisible ceiling glitch that was activated unknowingly by S2J vs Abate. So my question is, what is the official/standard for the use of glitches in melee? Ignoring glitches that have no effects on altering game play (e.g. changing stock heads, or 2 players playing the same colour of the same character etc), what about Ness's yoyo glitch that attaches a constant hitbox on Ness (http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Yoyo_glitch) and follow ups to that glitch? Are glitches like freeze glitch and yoyo glitch legal? From the fact that the community seems ok with allowing inadvertent glitches changing match results (See S2J vs Abate), I feel like intentional activation of glitches should be fine as well if they are activated from within the actual fighting (not from the character select screen and such as required to play as masterhand and whatnot).

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Glitches are never banned in general; there's no reason for them to be banned just because they're glitches, and besides that, what exactly constitutes a "glitch" is often not entirely clear-cut.

The freeze glitch is banned. The yo-yo glitch (and the jackets) and invisible ceiling glitch are not banned.

Things are usually only banned when they're game-breaking. The freeze glitch, for example, makes it completely impossible for the opponent to do anything (maybe apart from SDI; I don't know) until the other player decides to grab them to unfreeze them; as well as removing any semblance of interaction from the game, this can be abused to stall indefinitely, and can also end up making the game impossible to continue (if the frozen player ends up out of reach).

Bans also need to be enforceable. It's easy to ban a stage or a character, but saying the players can't use a certain move or strategy is impractical for numerous reasons; you need to: clearly and unambiguously define exactly what the strategy is, be able to verify that the strategy was actually used, decide what to do if the strategy is used accidentally when trying to do something else, and so on.

The freeze glitch needs to be banned because of how game-breaking it is, despite the unfortunate possibility of activating it accidentally (though it's at least easy enough for the Ice Climbers player to avoid it; the main problem is that the opponent can activate it by grabbing Nana when Popo is using Squall Hammer), especially if you don't fully understand the mechanics behind it. If the glitch was much easier to activate accidentally, or it was otherwise impractical to ban it, then it would be necessary to ban Ice Climbers entirely to deal with it. The invisible ceiling glitch both isn't game-breaking at all, and is easy to activate accidentally (things like doing an attack out of shield in some fairly common scenarios activates it), so it shouldn't be banned.

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
I wanna add that the yoyo glitch is really hard to pull off and isn't gamebreaking at all. (and really cool if you do get it). I would argue that the yoyo glitch is actually a pretty cool mechanic and that ness might be more interesting and better of a character if it were easier to pull off. In comparison it's also much worse than jigg's rest in regard to both precision and payoff.

Top Bottom