• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are Gamestop Gamecube Controllers good for competitive melee

MegamanX20100

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1590-4724-7065
I can confirm AbsoluteBlack on that note; first party controllers certainly have the quality for long-term competitive Melee. I still have the very first controller I got (the one that came with my Gamecube WAY back when it was first released), and it still works like new.

I'm sure there are other controllers out there that are of decent quality (not Gamestop's though), but I really don't know which ones those would be. You really are better off just getting a first-party one.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
My suggestion is to avoid third-party GameCube controllers like the plague.

I've got the official Nintendo white GC controller and it's really nice because it features a longer cord than previous editions.

Of course, I stocked up on the amazing Wavebird wireless controllers for the GameCube back when they were still readily available.

Rawkuz

Smash Cadet
Even though i have not tried the gamestop branded gamecube controllers(sadly thats all they sell there interms of gamecube controllers) anything third party wise is a terrible look for competitive play.

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
Never buy anything third party.

Buy a white controller or just a regular gamecube controller off ebay (about $15). If you don't want to risk getting a bad controller (loose stick or sticky buttons) I can sell you a good one (guaranteed) for $20 shipped of either silver, indigo, or black..

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
You can get a cheap used one and a tri-wing screwdriver to open it up and replace some parts if things like the springs/buttons are messed up. Sticks are harder to replace but plenty of people could do it for you if you wanted. Most used GCCs are in really good quality just because if it wasn't used for smash previously it probably didn't take too much of a beating. I pick up used controllers off ebay often (I have like 8 extra in my dorm room) and the are all in good quality.
First party controllers are hardy as hell. I still have my controllers that I got with my cube in 2003 that went through years of abuse from me as a kid, and the sticks are loose but still work well and are responsive.

MegamanX20100

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1590-4724-7065
Well, let me tell you, GCS, I'm looking at your Melee-specific controller with mods, and I like what I see. I've always contemplated some of these mods, but am really bad with taking apart (and then re-assembling) such things. I may get one of these controllers sometime soon.

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
I've forgotten what the official sealed controllers look like. Is this a legit controller? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Ga...-Black-Brand-NEW-Factory-Sealed-/131055615464

The price is much lower than the other ones on ebay but I don't know if the other ones are actually over priced while this one is fine. If this is legit i'll probably get it since I've got nothing but really old controllers to play smash with right now and hearing it makes a big difference to have a new controller really motivates me to get this

Edit- I would buy the controller from the smash boards amazon store but when I look at the customer reviews about the white controller product I see some horror stories on there about them not getting a white controller and getting tricked by the seller. I'm a huge noob when it comes to amazon so I don't know if these reviews all come from every seller of the white controller or if they're complaining about being jipped by the smash store that this site is hosting

Top Bottom