• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are eSports considered Sports?

-NAFAN-

Smash Cadet
Hello people, this is gonna be an unpopular opinion to a lot of you, but try to hear me out.

I've never understood why people have considered video games as sports, or why you would even want to. To me video games have always been a form of entertainment. It also feels a bit strange to refer to players as "Athletes".

However, just because I feel that way does not mean I disregard games or players as a competitive medium, as I am well aware of the amount of time and effort people (myself included) have put into video games.I merely feel strange about the terminology used, as to me, I have considered sports as a mainly physical venture.

agree or disagree, share with me your opinions (just try to keep it civil.)

Thank you.

finalark

SNORLAX
Games are games, sports are also games.

But the difference between a sport and a video game is that the word "sport" implies some sort of physical aspect.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
First off, I still think eSports as a name silly in the first place. Wish we could've established some better name, but too late now.

As a sport itself, I don't really mind where it's categorized. It seems like the term sports has broadened over time. There's a category for mind sports which don't include huge amounts of physical activities. Ones that fall under these are chess and poker. Games probably fell under this until they wanted to make it eSports for themselves.

But yeah, generally I associate sports in general as something with physical activities, so it sometimes sounds a bit weird. It is what it is though, and since videogames aren't the first to break this trend, I just accept it.

Top Bottom