• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are Counters too OP?

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I've never been a fan of counters, but I'm even less of a fan in this game. For example, playing as Ganon vs Little Mac today - Warlock Punch, up tilt, Smash Attacks - they were useless. I would just get countered back with twice the damage. I mean, I know it will work better for edge guarding, but... am I the only one looking at counters as, not only OP, but heck of annoying as well? I mean, it's like, when facing a counter oponent, you can never feels safe. Never.

PeachPlumPear

Smash Cadet
It's incredibly easy to punish a failed counter and most of them can't kill you until after other moves.

So no.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
If you're being predictable, the fault lies on you. Smart players inherently know what a predictable player does and they can get free damage off of it.

However, someone who abuses a counter and seldom uses their other tools is throw or smash attack bait.

So no. It's just a matter of learning.

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
I've punished and been punished when it comes to counters many times while playing Sm4sh, you need to know when to expect a counter and need to make sure you aren't giving them the opportunity, and if you are giving them the opportunity you need to remain cautious and prepare for a grab.

Something I did today in a For Glory that punished a counter was use Marth's Up Special on a Lucario, it registered me attacking his counter but when it triggered I was up in the air, so the Lucario went flying off the edge of the stage. Great to watch.

Last edited:

Riggy Rascal

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2363-5630-4667
Nah, an opponent's access to a counter only encourages you to be on your toes and be less predictable. Increasing your number of grabs as well as a few quick pauses here and there should make things rather even.

That, and some counters aren't all that great. Marth and Ike are pretty scary with their counters, yeah, but Shulk and Lucario's could soar right past the target if tried from above.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I got KO'd by a Shulk's counter today.
I was mad.

But nah, I don't think they're Op despite my previous Shulk encounter. They're annoying to fight, not Op. Easily baited, and easily punished with charged smashes or grabs (my preference). However, some counters active animations last a year :glare:

Last edited:

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
No, but I don't like how you have this long counter midair. I don't think you should be able to get punished for juggling someone.

Plus it just doesn't make sense to adjust into a counter stance while you're falling from the sky.

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
No, but I don't like how you have this long counter midair. I don't think you should be able to get punished for juggling someone.

Plus it just doesn't make sense to adjust into a counter stance while you're falling from the sky.
The thing that irks me most about that is how the animation doesn't reflect the fact they're falling, physics just suddenly gives them an invisible falling platform to stand up and counter on

GamesShark

Smash Rookie
I've felt this way too. I think it's just a matter of knowing if your opponent is going to use it or not. But yes, it's infuriating, especially when they spam it XD

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
It's a matter of predicting your opponent. Most of the time I use Shulk's counter as a kill move since I never use it during the round so they end up forget about it. If an opponent is spamming a counter, then throws are your friend.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
Never use Warlock Punch against a character with Counter(Vision for Shulk). You're basically allowing yourself to get a massive spike in damage and you will most likely get KO'd. If an opponent is constantly spamming Counter, the correct response is to grab to punish them, or simply attack after the move since it's quite easy to capitalize on if it fails. This is the drawback that makes the move not OP. Don't mistake the multiplied damage from the move as being OP.

@ Jerm Jerm that's exactly what I did today too. Used Vision on Ganondorf who foolishly used Warlock Punch and got an easy 42% damage. Needless to say he was sent soaring at the speed of light never to return.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
If someone likes to counter spam, just be patient or grab them. It's really fun to psyche 'em out and tear into them!:chuckle:

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
I do find it problematic in For Fun mode when one player does nothing but counter and the other players constantly fall for it, thus giving the person spamming it kills.

ConiK

Smash Rookie
NNID
SowhaK
3DS FC
2208-6066-7177
If you're playing a character with no counter against a character with a counter and you're both at 100% it honestly feels like they have the upper hand NO MATTER what, I can't stand counters.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Welcome to Super Counter Bros, where the only significant difference between this game and the past is the sheer number of characters with counter moves.

Warlock Punch and Explosive Kick were never useful moves to begin with, except for in scenarios in which the enemy can't counter anyway (freefall, mostly).

As a long-time main of characters with counter moves, I would say they are approximately as useless against a cautious opponent as they always have been.

VileFC3S

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KookiDowgRX-7
When the counter is a success, then kind of yeah but when it fails, nope.

In all seriousness though, it isn't. You're just going to have to be more aware on the right time to strike or to grab more often... depending in which character though. lol

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
They're not overpowered but they're definitely good attacks that most players take for granite.

Most players I meet on FG counter at the worst times and I'm easily able to punish with down grab into nair.
Of course if you can properly read attacks and counter correctly, yeah. It's a force to be reckoned with.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
What's the difference between OP and too OP?
It being overpowered in general and it feeling more powerful than it should, probably.

The fact that counter nullifies everything (including projectiles and flame) makes it a bit ridiculous.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
Nah. Too often it's a crutch (spam counter!) that trumps another crutch (spam smash!).

Start up a grab game or projectile camp if you feel your opponent is counter happy. It's also easy to bait out if you rush down then pause. It can be a free fully charged smash if you time it right.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I countered a warlock punch with Shulks counter and killed him at 0% xD-check for yourself lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTgVNESsAWU#t=52
Exactly. After reading people's posts here, I can understand that it's a matter of practice of predicting, but attacks like the Warlock Punch... they have like over 1 whole second to react and use a counter, and if they counter it, you are pretty much screwed. So, these more powerful and slow attacks are pretty useless against counter characters in my opinion :\

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Annoying, but not op. Counters aren't spot on. You have to do them somewhat before the attack lands, which is difficult to do accurately. Some people just toss out the move just in case, but those guys just leave themselves open to real punishes. Just avoid using extremely powerful moves against someone with counters. Multi-hit attacks are great, especially since the first hits are usually weaker than the last one.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Lovin' that video, man.
Looks like you've got a good rhythm going.
:4shulk:
Thanks bro :D

Exactly. After reading people's posts here, I can understand that it's a matter of practice of predicting, but attacks like the Warlock Punch... they have like over 1 whole second to react and use a counter, and if they counter it, you are pretty much screwed. So, these more powerful and slow attacks are pretty useless against counter characters in my opinion :\
o yea for sure, but if the player with the counter somehow mispredicts and counters too early they will be severely punished by said powerful attacks. It's risk vs reward for both parties.

Last edited:

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
Yes. Counter is pretty dumb when it even counters projectiles. I baited a counter out of my opponent once with ZSS and thought I could hit him with a laser then go for a Dthrow combo kill, thinking that projectiles can't be countered because I'm not actually touching them with my body, but he countered my projectile and I lost the match. LOL

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
Counter do seem stronger but if you learn how the person who spams counter plays you can easily use it against him.

Top Bottom