• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Archiving old data, may play SSB4.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
It has been a very long time since I've visited here. I've been churning through old data that I believe may be relevant. Whether this has been posted already or not, I just want to offer some findings I made back in ~2009. It's not all accurate but take what you will.

"Average damage per move":

"Character weight":

"Dash speed":

"Changes from Melee":

"Percentages to KO":

"Manliness levels":

Even though this is five years late :0, here is a Captain Falcon Mobility guide that I started writing but never finished. It deserves to see the light of day before Brawl becomes an ancient relic.

"Mobility Guide":

Mobility guide

Anyone who knows Captain Falcon well as a character will struggle when they try to name his strengths. Falcon doesn't have much going for him but he's got something; Speed and Mobility. That is why this guide has been created. This aims to maximize player's knowledge in one of Captain Falcon's strengths. If you apply any one of these tips or tricks into play it may very well affect your unpredictability and increase the amount of effort needed in order for an opponent to land an attack on you.

1. General Mobility Information about Captain Falcon
A. 2nd Fastest Dash Speed
B. 31st Highest Walking Speed
C. 4th Highest Air Speed (horizontal movement)
D. 3rd Highest Falling Speed (vertical movement)
E. 1st Fastest overall/in a multitude of catagories
F. Captain Falcon's dash speed is 2.55 times greater than his walking speed
G. Low traction? (find a brawl version, Andrew!)

2. Miscilaneous Tricks and Tactics
A. Falcon punching underneath stages to the other side. This can come in handy for evasion of opponents stream of attacks (particularly with items) or more sensibly just to show off. This can only be performed on stages roughly the size of Battle Field with no walls extruding into the lower screen KO zone. On the edge of the stage, facing away from the center, short hop into a reverse Falcon Punch. DI passed the ledge and the Falcon Punch should stop you from auto-grabbing it. If you timed this properly the Punch should release just in time to give you an arial boost toward the center of the stage, underneath. Allow yourself to lose some altitude while you drop toward the opposite ledge from which you left and double jump as you approach. You should now be close enough to use Falcon Dive to make a return jump to this other ledge. Presto! You have successfully flown under the stage to the other side!
B. Attack while you're landing to reduce landing lag. If Captain Falcon drops from a full hop or great height he will endure a landing animation that consumes about a half second of your time before you can do anything. But there's a fix. The landing lag on three of Captain Falcon's arials are so short (even without autocanceling) that you can save time simply be attacking as you approach the ground. Not only will it provide extra cover but will shorten the time between landing and beginning another action.
C. Falcon Kick to return to the ground faster and to avoid intercepting opponents. Falcon Kick has less purpose in combat so why not put it to good use? Even if you have just been hit by an arial you can help avoid being juggled by taking advantage of the Falcon Kick's quick burst of speed and protective properties on your decent back to safety. You may even get some damage on your opponent. Be sure to only cast this tactic into the fray when your altitude is high enough to avoid Falcon Kick's landing lag.
D. Walk to get Captain Falcon to a precise location. We all know he's ranked among the fastest characters in the game and this can make him a bit tough to control. If there is a place you need to be to intercept an opponent or pick up a power item sometimes it's faster just to walk than dash and have to re-correct your postion after over-shooting. Walking also adds a little variety to your game, making opponents read your next move incorrectly or opening up a nice opportunity for a forward tilt.
E. Cancel momentum vertical with Dair and horizontal with Uair after eating a big hit. The slightest arial activity from Captain Falcon can help get him into a readied state and begin to slow momentum. At the right percentages this could be the difference between life and death.
F. Land behind opponents, RAR dodge to the back of your foe to gain many options. It you have ever watched a computer player for long enough you realize that one of their main strategies is to land only behind were you are standing. If you put your back to a ledge they are much more hesitant to approach. And this is part of what makes CPU players so annoying (in other words: good). You can incorporate this very same tactic into your gameplay. Short hop RAR and land before they can turn around. This also eliminates many out-of-shield defense options for certain characters so feel free to grab or poke their shield.
G. Control Captain Falcon's dash speed by adjusting the joystick's horizontal axis. You can slow it down or speed it up to a full dash. This is something that has been around since Melee and not too many players know about it. Dash speed adjustment can namely be used only as a fake-out or to throw off the timing of an opponent's attack. This is best used on large, flat stages such as the Bridge of Eldin or Final Destination.
H. Falcon Kick through platforms (whilst standing on them). First, drop through the platform. Almost before the drop through animation can even finish press down B. The Falcon Kick should initiate while you're halfway throught the plaform. This is great for attacking foes beneath you. Even better for those who are jumping at you planning to approach with an attack through the platform. This is also compatable with Dair, Fair and several other moves.
I. Dash Dancing. This technique is limited in Brawl, unfortunately. But remain aware of dash dancing for instances of approach or mix-up. Quickly dash in one direction and immediately change to dash in the other direction, this should be done fast enough to make it appear as though your character is running around in a cloud of dust.
3. Making yourself a Smaller Target
A. Double jump forward to shrink. Jumping forward makes Captain Falcon a smaller target than if you jump backward. Forward makes him curl up into a cannon-ball position rather than his open-arm dive that he does while jumping backward. This is great while approaching through a wall of projectiles (though it is recommended that you air dodge). So just use this as a precautionary measure unless you absolutely need to second jump backwards.
B. Captain Falcon is shorter while dashing. Most of us already run anyway but you're technically less likely to be hit by anything while running rather than walking or using Captain Corridor. Sometimes a quick, small approach is better.
C. Duck projectiles. It is a great mindgame and could make your opponent think your better than you really are. It's also funny as hell to see. And unless you're perfect shielding, it's faster to uncrouch after a projectile passes over your head than waiting to put down your shield after being pushed back by a projectile.

4. Wall Jumping
A. As a recovery. This is an ability that everybody seems to forget about. And why not use it!? It's a free jump! Wall jumping is a great mix up for recovering low or recovering between walls such as in the center of Yoshi Island - Melee. B. To trick your opponent. On any stage with walls or steep surfaces wall jumping is a great way to completely reverse an angle of approach. This can screw with the timing of your foe's counter attack and allow you to come in with another, real approach.
C. To gain extra height. It can also grant you extra height to work with while conserving your second jump. Is there an item or opponent atop of New Pork City, Hyrule Temple? Jump of the wall to get there faster!
D. As an evasion, when hit toward a wall. Wall jumping can almost be used as a tech. You will often see this happen unintentionally to people who are fighting off the side of a stage for the ledge.

5. Spacing section

------------------------------------------------------------- END -------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the long post. I have since moved on to PC gaming and if the new Super Smash Brothers is enticing enough, I may emulate it just to partake in the experience. -Anxious

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Hell YESZ !

I remember those charts, it's funny to remember that the major nerfs for Falcon in Brawl are the the game mechanics like hitstun and L cancel. It's also sad.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
It's funny how the only thing that makes captain falcon garbage were the speed of his moveset and his recovery.
Also, his fair meant the world man. That's what falcon was about.

Guess im saying that because... you know... got wrecked by a sheik.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Hell YESZ !

I remember those charts.

Ah, so they must have been posted before. I couldn't find their original threads anywhere in my history :ohwell:. And again, the charts (particularly the "changes from melee" chart) are not entirely accurate. Those moves where buffed only on paper but in practice the game itself nerfed them. Here's to hoping SSB4 brings about balance... and regular updates!

EDIT: Also forgot "Size comparison":

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Never seen this before, being relatively new, but the manliness chart gave me a good laugh.

Top Bottom