• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[April 19th, 2015] Gamer's Gauntlet Smash Series #9 (PM and Smash 4 Wii U) (Clinton Township, MI)

Swanky_

Smash Cadet
So, what caused the switch from Smash 4 doubles to PM doubles? I personally like PM more, so this is exciting for me, but I'm curious.
I believe it is supposed to alternate. So the Jan 25th event will be Smash 4 singles again

Gamers_Gauntlet

Smash Apprentice
20564 Hall Rd. Clinton Township, Michigan
At GG we try to support a diverse smash environment and PM is still very popular among the locals. The GGSS was set up from the start to be PM heavy on the 1st tournament of the month and Smash 4 heavy on the 2nd tournament of the month.

We have singles tournaments for both games always.

Last edited:

Liam_Butler

Smash Apprentice
At GG we try to support a diverse smash environment and PM is still very popular among the locals. The GGSS was set up from the start to be PM heavy on the 1st tournament of the month and Smash 4 heavy on the 2nd tournament of the month.

We have singles tournaments for both games always.
Ah, okay. Thanks for the reply.

Gamers_Gauntlet

Smash Apprentice
February and March's dates have been finalized! The top post has been edited to reflect the new dates.

They are:
February 2015: Sunday, February 8th and Sunday, February 15th
March 2015: Sunday, March 8th and Sunday, March 15th

Note that unless otherwise stated the events on the 8th of each month will have 2 PM tournaments and 1 Smash 4 tournament and the the events on the 15th of each month will have 2 Smash 4 tournaments and 1 PM tournament.

Last edited:

Gamers_Gauntlet

Smash Apprentice
Due to increased attendance Smash 4 will now have pools and we will be opening two hours early! Enjoy friendlies for two hours until things start up at noon! Here's the new schedule (starting January 25th):

10:00 AM - Venue Opens/Registration
12:00 PM - Registration for Smash 4 WiiU Doubles and P:M Singles Ends
12:30 PM - Smash 4 WiiU Doubles and P:M Singles Begins
02:00 PM - Smash 4 WiiU Singles Registration Ends
02:30 PM - Smash 4 WiiU Wave A Pools Begins
03:30 PM - Smash 4 WiiU Wave B Pools Begins
04:30 PM - Smash 4 WiiU Singles Bracket Begins

Here is our Facebook event. Please sign up there if able! We had 85 unique players last time, I would like to break 100 this time!!

Additionally, the layout will change to allow us to have more room to play and we will now have a dedicated section for friendlies open all day!

Last edited:

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I'm ready for this. Gonna be a blast participating in my first double tourney weekend!

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Do you have gamecube adapters for Smash U?

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
Is there anyone with seats open in the general Novi/Livonia/Northville area? I can't get a ride with my planned one, I'm at my moms and nowhere near him

Gamers_Gauntlet

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone! Sorry about a lack of info lately. One TO has been incredibly ill for weeks and another has been getting killed at work. We have been getting updates through however. We have GGSS3 completely done! GGSS4 videos will be a few more days yet. Links are below.
Just a reminder that GGSS5 is TOMORROW. Check the facebook thread here: https://www.facebook.com/events/450071571807428/

Gamers_Gauntlet

Smash Apprentice
Just a reminder that this is THIS WEEK. THIS SUNDAY.

We have a strong group of regulars but we always seem to rotate a top 8 in and out due to people being unable to get rides or people showing up casually here and there. I want this next one to be huge! Hope everyone can get there and let's get rides figured out asap!

Vayseth

Smash Master
The venue has had an issue with upload speeds so unfortunately streaming from the venue is impossible at this time. I record and put up videos after the fact (I'm super behind though, getting caught up now).

Smash 4 doubles and P:M doubles rotate every tournament. Last Sunday's (the 8th) was P:M doubles.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
The venue has had an issue with upload speeds so unfortunately streaming from the venue is impossible at this time. I record and put up videos after the fact (I'm super behind though, getting caught up now).

Smash 4 doubles and P:M doubles rotate every tournament. Last Sunday's (the 8th) was P:M doubles.
Didn't know The Doubles rotate lol. I'm ready to rek others lol

Samn

Smash Cadet
Can we get an updated stagelist for PM please? Right now the stagelist is really goofy and I really don't think we need as many stages as we do. If we could cut out stages from page two and maybe eliminate it to 2 counter pick bans and 10 stages I think it would be a lot more convenient and make the tourneys run a bit faster.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Samn, I will definitely look into that. I just pretty much used the Apex 2013 ruleset as far as stages go. I'll give everyone an update once I figure it out. It may not be for this next tournament though.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Samn, I will definitely look into that. I just pretty much used the Apex 2013 ruleset as far as stages go. I'll give everyone an update once I figure it out. It may not be for this next tournament though.
I used the following stages at a tourney I ran recently and it seemed fairly balanced overall. Any thoughts?

Starter stages: Battlefield, Smashville, Pokemon Stadium 2.

Counterpick stages: Yoshi's Story, Green Hill Zone, Yoshi's Island, Final Destination, Dreamland, WarioWare

2-3 bans for CPs, RPS loser bans first stage, winner chooses from 1 of 2 starters

Starter stages:
Generally stage striking comes down to these 3. It saves time going through 4 other stages that are typically not played on first, and gets down to the point. Possible to add 2 or 4 stages, but will inevitably be these 3 most commonly started on.
Counterpick stages:
YS, WW, GHz allow for nice, small blast zones, perfect for chars like Yoshi, FireEmblem cast, Ness, etc. Good to also pick against campers and players that typically favor more space and room to work around with. GHz also good against chars that kill off the top such as Lucas and Fox. Dreamland obviously favors floaties better than the starter stages. FD for even more obvious reasons. YI helps out poor recoveries such as Lucas, Ness, Yoshi, etc.

I don't see too much favor in these CP stages as with 2-3 bans, the opponent still gets to choose a stage in their favor, while you ban the stages that may be the wrost for you.

EDIT:
Only dislikes/disagreement I potentially see with this list
  • Starters being "too limited." "Add more starters"
  • Stages possibly considered "jank" counterpicks would be Yoshi's Island (ghosts), GHz / FoD platforms (if FoD is included)
  • WarioWare / Yoshi's Story being "too small"
  • Dreamland being "too big"

Last edited:

Gamers_Gauntlet

Smash Apprentice
OK guys! Bumping this thread as this is under a week away.

Updates:
  • Rules for both Smash 4 and P:M have changed. Take a look at the link in the OP!
  • Video playlists for GGSS 4-6 have finally started to upload. You can find those links in the 2nd post!
  • Facebook events for both tournaments are coming very shortly.
EDIT: The Facebook event for GGSS#7 (March 8th) has been posted in the OP!
EDIT 2: The Facebook event for GGSS#8 (March 15th) has been posted in the OP!

Last edited:

Samn

Smash Cadet
Awesome! And may I say, thank you for keeping Yoshi's over fountain. **** fountain of dreams.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Out of curiousity do you think customs are a possibility for future events?

preklin123

Smash Rookie
Have you guys considered a melee tournament? If I bring a setup could we do some melee friendlies if possible? I just don't know a melee bi weekly in the metro detroit area. GG would definitely be the closest if you guys did add Melee. Could be an even bigger turnout.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Have you guys considered a melee tournament? If I bring a setup could we do some melee friendlies if possible? I just don't know a melee bi weekly in the metro detroit area. GG would definitely be the closest if you guys did add Melee. Could be an even bigger turnout.
There's been discussion on this. With the circuit coming up, Melee is postponed until after the circuit ends. SSBM was supposed to be featured last month or two, but was sadly delayed. Feel free to bring a Melee setup regardless. Myself and others will be more than happy to play Melee on the side. Unfortunately, an actual tourney for Melee won't be hosted at GG for a little while according to Gifts. I'm more than positive that Melee would attract dozens of smash players from the local scene once GG hosts Melee.

preklin123

Smash Rookie
There's been discussion on this. With the circuit coming up, Melee is postponed until after the circuit ends. SSBM was supposed to be featured last month or two, but was sadly delayed. Feel free to bring a Melee setup regardless. Myself and others will be more than happy to play Melee on the side. Unfortunately, an actual tourney for Melee won't be hosted at GG for a little while according to Gifts. I'm more than positive that Melee would attract dozens of smash players from the local scene once GG hosts Melee.

Okay cool. Thank you so much for the reply. I just started playing melee so even some friendlies with locals would be awesome.

Top Bottom