• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacific West [Apr 25, 2015] The Salem Elimination Bracket! (Salem Smashfests: 1-year Special... (Salem, Or)

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
PRE-REGISTER HERE: http://goo.gl/forms/vLYwGR4sxj
Rules List (All Games): http://goo.gl/HSyGcY

On April 22nd, it will have been 1 year since the first Salem Smashfest!

To commemorate this, this weekend we're much larger tournament as a bit of a celebration!

General Info:
All brackets will be Double Elimination the whole way through, rather than our standard Swiss->Top format.
(Seeds will be determined by Oregon PR, then past Smashfest rankings)

Venue fee will be $1 per day (though it MAY become $2 depending on if I end up needing to rent tables/chairs/etc)

Events:
- Smash 4
--- Singles: $5
--- Doubles: $4 per Team
--- Triples (Time Dependent): $3 per Team
--- Quads (Time Dependent): $4 per Team

- Brawl
--- Singles: $3
--- Doubles (Interest Dependent): $2 per Team

- Melee

- Project: M

- SSB64
--- Singles: $3
--- Doubles: $2 per Team

- Money Matches
- Mario Party Money Match ($10 buy-in)
- Mario Kart Double Dash Tournament ($1 per person)
- Hang out at Shari's (Post-tournament)

The schedule as of this point is:
Saturday, April 25th:
- 11:00am | Setup & Friendlies
- 11:30am | Sign-ups open (Please Pre-register here: http://goo.gl/forms/vLYwGR4sxj)
- 12:00pm | Smash 4 Doubles starts (Singles, Triples, and Quads will happen after Doubles ends, in that order)
- 3:00pm | Brawl Singles starts (Doubles happens after Singles ends)
- 8:00pm | GameStar Closes

(The Mario Party Match and the Mario Kart Double Dash tournament will happen on Saturday; time is to be determined)

Sunday, April 26th:
- 12:00pm | Setup, Friendlies, and Sign-ups (Please Pre-register here: http://goo.gl/forms/vLYwGR4sxj)
- 12:30pm | Melee & Project: M Singles start (Each Doubles tournament happens after Singles ends)
- 1:00pm | Smash 64 Singles starts (Doubles start after Singles ends)
- 6:00pm | GameStar Closes

Other notes
It looks like the day overlaps with the day for the NorthWest Majors, but as this should be just a local tournament (again, Gamestar has size limits) it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

There is food in the area, so don't worry too much about that. In walking distance there is (in order of distance):
- Burger King
- Paddington's Pizza
- 2-4 Convenience Stores (depending on your idea of walking distance)
- Figaros
- Carl's Jr.
- Shari's
- McDonald's
(And likely a few more that I'm forgetting.)

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
So as this is a mirror to our Facebook group, I'm going to be posting some of the threads from there here as well:

=========================================
By the way, (Smash 4) Mewtwo rulings for this tournament:
- Mewtwo will NOT be allowed during the main Smash 4 tournament(s)
- If there is enough time, there WILL be a (second) Mewtwo-only Smash 4 bracket (probably $1 entry)

Hey everyone, can I get a list of who's bringing what here?
We'll need TVs, Setups, Power strips, and possibly Tables and/or Chairs.
If you are going to be bringing a setup or any other relevant item, please post in this thread so I can add you to the list.

Thanks!

----- Saturday (Smash 4/Brawl) -----
TVs (CRT or HD):
- 5 Salem Smashfests TVs (CRT)

Smash 4 Setups (Wii U, Sm4sh Disk, Gamecube adapter)
- @ Jaxas Jaxas
- @gmanownyou
- @9Tales

Brawl Setups (Wii, Brawl Disk/USB)
- Jaxas
- G~Man, TCD

Side-Event stuff
- Mario Party 4 Setup: G~Man, TCD

----- Sunday (Melee/Project: M/Smash 64) -----
TVs:
- 5 Salem Smashfests TVs
- Joey Rodgers

Melee Setups (Wii or GameCube, Melee Disk):
- @ Jaxas Jaxas
- @gmanownyou (x2)
- @Saucy Pirate

Project: M Setups (Wii, Brawl Disk)
- @gmanownyou
- @Saucy Pirate

Smash 64 Setups (N64, Smash 64 Cart, N64 Controllers)
- Joey Rodgers

Side Events:
- @gmanownyou VS Jesse ($?, Monkey Ball: Billiards)

Mario Party Money Match (Handled by @gmanownyou )
Current Participants:
Ruleset:
  • $10 Buy-in
  • Game: Mario Party 4
  • Board: Koopa's Seaside Soiree
  • Turns: 15
  • Minigames: All
  • Bonus: On
  • Teams: Off
  • Handicap: Lol, screw that
Amiibo Tournament

Singles Tournament Rules, with the owners controlling Stage Striking/Banning/Counterpicking.
$1 per Amiibo.

Current Entrants:
Mario Kart Double Dash tournament (Saturday)
Entry fee will be $1 per person.
Also, it would almost certainly be a Doubles event (Ruleset is still pending, though)

Current Entries:

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
ATTENTION EVERYONE!

The Salem Elimination Bracket is coming up soon; only a week until it's here!
I really need to have an idea of how many people will be attending though, so if you're coming please let me know, and let me know what you're entering!

Also, I'm putting together an updated schedule and everything is put together...
except for SSB64.

I need to know whether the 64 players would rather have that happen on Saturday or Sunday (it's part of the registration form anyways, please answer there).

Let me know; thanks!

http://goo.gl/forms/vLYwGR4sxj

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
By the way, just a reminder but on top of the bracket-entry fees (check the pinned post for info on what they are; generally $5 per singles event and $2 per person per team - not always though) there will be a venue fee.

Our normal venue fee is normally $1, and that is the currently planned venue fee. If we don't have enough tables and chairs (I'll know as of Wednesday or Thursday) I'll have to end up renting some, and the venue fee will be bumped up to $2 to compensate. Any money left over after paying off the tables and chairs will be split between the TOs (aka G~Man and I).

It's only a dollar, but it's better to know to watch out for it now rather than later. I'll let everyone know on Wednesday though; thanks!

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Hey everyone, I wrote up the official ruleset that will be in use at this event; you can find it here: http://goo.gl/HSyGcY

Some things will be slightly different from our normal events, so be sure to read over it.
I'll try to list the important things, though:

SSB64: Normal Ruleset
Melee: Normal Ruleset
Project M: Normal Ruleset (Default 3.5, bottom row Starters middle row Counterpicks)

Brawl: Normal Ruleset, but that's changed slightly since Brawl was our main event; it's mostly the stage-list that changed. It's now 9 stages, all starters (remove Halberd from the old list and you have the new one)

Smash 4: This is where things are a bit different

Singles will be 2 stock, 6min, Customs: ON like normal. The stage list has changed though, to the following

Starter
- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Smashville
- Lylat Cruise
- Town and City
- Delphino Plaza
- Castle Siege
- Skyloft
- Wuhu Island

Counterpick
- Kongo Jungle 64
- Duck Hunt
- Halberd

Doubles (and Triples and Quads) will be 3 stock 8 minutes, but will have Customs: OFF.
Doubles will also be happening before Singles, so we can get the customs set up on any new systems before singles starts.

The Doubles stage list is the same as singles, and the Triples/Quads list can be found in the document I linked.

Have any questions/concerns? Let me know!

Bombchu Link

Banned via Administration
NNID
Arwing-Y
I'll either be able to make it Saturday or Sunday. (most likely anyway)

If Saturday:

I'll just compete in the sm4sh stuff singles and doubles
I'll bring a sm4sh setup (System, TV, and game, no GC adapter tho')

If Sunday:

I'll bring a full PM setup
I'll compete in PM and Melee's singles and doubles

Can we have a mario kart double dash!! tourney as well on the day the mario party tourney doesn't happen? (I can bring a copy of mkdd)

Also what custom parts are banned in the sm4sh singles?

E: And gentleman's rules overrides Dave's stupid rule, right?

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I'll either be able to make it Saturday or Sunday. (most likely anyway)

If Saturday:

I'll just compete in the sm4sh stuff singles and doubles
I'll bring a sm4sh setup (System, TV, and game, no GC adapter tho')

If Sunday:

I'll bring a full PM setup
I'll compete in PM and Melee's singles and doubles

Can we have a mario kart double dash!! tourney as well on the day the mario party tourney doesn't happen? (I can bring a copy of mkdd)

Also what custom parts are banned in the sm4sh singles?

E: And gentleman's rules overrides Dave's stupid rule, right?
Mario Kart Double Dash is totally fine as long as enough people want to enter (which shouldn't be hard) and there's enough time (which may be tougher, but still should be fine)!

All Custom Moves are legal (the EVO sets will be preloaded on most setups, and we have a 3DS to transfer them to any new setups if needed) but all Custom Equipment is banned.
And yes, the Gentleman's Rule overrides Dave's Stupid Rule.

You can also check the full rules here if you'd like!

I hope to see you there! Don't forget to Pre-Register as well once you figure out what day you're going (or just enter as Maybe for everything, either works); it makes things a lot easier for us!

Last edited:

Bombchu Link

NNID
Arwing-Y
Done:

Also I wrote up some rules for the mario kart tourney

general rules:

matches will be free for all in a 4 .vs match
barrel train only shortcut on yoshi's circut is banned.
If time permits we will have a "item" bracket setup and a "no item" setup.
Winners and losers brackets, first and second advance while 3rd and 4th fall to losers bracket/drop out of tourney
if their isn't enough time for both, participants will vote on item or item-less.
entry is free (of course)

Also if it's to much for you I'd be happy to manage the brackets and such. :3

90% chance I'll make it on Saturday.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Done:

Also I wrote up some rules for the mario kart tourney

general rules:

matches will be free for all in a 4 .vs match
barrel train only shortcut on yoshi's circut is banned.
If time permits we will have a "item" bracket setup and a "no item" setup.
Winners and losers brackets, first and second advance while 3rd and 4th fall to losers bracket/drop out of tourney
if their isn't enough time for both, participants will vote on item or item-less.
entry is free (of course)

Also if it's to much for you I'd be happy to manage the brackets and such. :3

90% chance I'll make it on Saturday.
I like it for the most part, but I have a slightly different ruleset in mind (I'll certainly let you run it though!). Also, it'll be happening on Saturday.

- $1 Entry
- Items ON Bracket (there won't be time for 2, unfortunately)
- Double Elim sounds good
- Singles (1 player per cart) or Doubles? I've seen more interest for doubles (it would still be top 2 players advancing then)

What's the "Barrel Train only shortcut on Yoshi's Circuit"?

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Okay, so I'm locking in the remaining loose-ends today; be sure to check this for up-to-date info.

- Venue Fee: $2 (per day).
--- I will indeed be renting Tables and Chairs for this event; if you have a spare table or two (or chairs) please let me know!

- SSB64 will be on Sunday, and starts at 1:00pm.
--- We had double the number of people say they would only be doing SSB64 on Sunday, so that's when it'll be happening.

- Mario Kart Double Dash will be on Saturday
--- Ruleset is pending completion

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Updated the intro post to be more up to date (includes the updated schedule, for example)

Bombchu Link

NNID
Arwing-Y
I like it for the most part, but I have a slightly different ruleset in mind (I'll certainly let you run it though!). Also, it'll be happening on Saturday.

- $1 Entry
- Items ON Bracket (there won't be time for 2, unfortunately)
- Double Elim sounds good
- Singles (1 player per cart) or Doubles? I've seen more interest for doubles (it would still be top 2 players advancing then)

What's the "Barrel Train only shortcut on Yoshi's Circuit"?
Sounds good (maybe turn of items in finals?)

This is the shortcut you can do it without a mushroom; it saves about 3 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ce-eKsj0ss
It's performed at 12 seconds into the vid.

I'm personally for singles, (because it's more competitive imo, and all the second player does is chuck items and make mini turbos harder to perform unless they enjoy doing an equivalent to dash dancing in sm4sh for a full 4 minutes per round) but if everyone else wants doubles then I guess that's fine. *shrugs*

oh yeah, should baby park be banned? All it is really is NASCAR reversed with items littering the course all the time.

Also as a disclaimer, I'm really, really good at this game.

E: Dry Dry desert needs to be banned because of all the mushroom and star spamming to ridiculous amounts.
E2: All races should take place in 150cc unless everyone agrees to mirror mode.

Last edited:

wolfy the tall

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wolfydelang
3DS FC
2406-5855-2534
I finished all my homework so I can go both Saturday and Sunday. So should I bring some things or is everything fine, also can I participate in the Mario Party and Mario Kart tournament?

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Sounds good (maybe turn of items in finals?)

This is the shortcut you can do it without a mushroom; it saves about 3 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ce-eKsj0ss
It's performed at 12 seconds into the vid.

I'm personally for singles, (because it's more competitive imo, and all the second player does is chuck items and make mini turbos harder to perform unless they enjoy doing an equivalent to dash dancing in sm4sh for a full 4 minutes per round) but if everyone else wants doubles then I guess that's fine. *shrugs*

oh yeah, should baby park be banned? All it is really is NASCAR reversed with items littering the course all the time.

Also as a disclaimer, I'm really, really good at this game.

E: Dry Dry desert needs to be banned because of all the mushroom and star spamming to ridiculous amounts.
How would the stages to race on be determined? I haven't done any MK tournaments (of any sort) before; is there a ruleset or anything in place, or will we need to come up with one?

Singles VS Doubles: I'm fine either way, but I figure we'll just do a poll when we start taking sign-ups for the bracket.

I'd have to mess around with Baby Park and Dry Dry Desert more as I don't know much of anything about those stages; you seem to know more about it than I do though, so I'll probably just trust your judgement on it.

I finished all my homework so I can go both Saturday and Sunday. So should I bring some things or is everything fine, also can I participate in the Mario Party and Mario Kart tournament?
Awesome!
You can definitely participate in the Mario Kart tournament, though I'm not sure about Mario Party; the current match is full, though there may be enough interested players to do a 2nd one.
What sort of stuff would you be bringing?

Bombchu Link

NNID
Arwing-Y
How would the stages to race on be determined? I haven't done any MK tournaments (of any sort) before; is there a ruleset or anything in place, or will we need to come up with one?

Singles VS Doubles: I'm fine either way, but I figure we'll just do a poll when we start taking sign-ups for the bracket.

I'd have to mess around with Baby Park and Dry Dry Desert more as I don't know much of anything about those stages; you seem to know more about it than I do though, so I'll probably just trust your judgement on it.
Stage choice would be gentlemen's rules or random if nobody agrees (unless every body agrees to not race on the the selected stage)

I am very strongly for singles but majority vote would be the way to go.

I've put a lot of time into that game back on summer days and after middle school, sometimes I would play for 6 hours straight (this was back when I didn't have a life) I've done some 200-300 hours into 4.vs, so yeah I know what's dirty and not.

Dry Dry desert: To win you sit at the starting line for 2 seconds and then take off, grab the triple mushrooms/star in the item block (because the game has pity for your low placement) and follow behind everyone else until the final lap. Cut through the sand after the pokey field under the sign and make a hard right using the three mushrooms you can save a good 6-7 seconds and a star can save you 12 is you do it on the second lap. *coughtoadsgoldmushroomscough*

Baby park: Nobody likes 3 bowser shells rolling around the course along with 50 banana peals. Even with my experience, I could only get a 60% win margin over my friends.

That's really all I can think of except for putting items on basic to ban stars, blue-shells, triple mushrooms, fake item blocks, and specials.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Stage choice would be gentlemen's rules or random if nobody agrees (unless every body agrees to not race on the the selected stage)

I am very strongly for singles but majority vote would be the way to go.

I've put a lot of time into that game back on summer days and after middle school, sometimes I would play for 6 hours straight (this was back when I didn't have a life) I've done some 200-300 hours into 4.vs, so yeah I know what's dirty and not.

Dry Dry desert: To win you sit at the starting line for 2 seconds and then take off, grab the triple mushrooms/star in the item block (because the game has pity for your low placement) and follow behind everyone else until the final lap. Cut through the sand after the pokey field under the sign and make a hard right using the three mushrooms you can save a good 6-7 seconds and a star can save you 12 is you do it on the second lap. *coughtoadsgoldmushroomscough*

Baby park: Nobody likes 3 bowser shells rolling around the course along with 50 banana peals. Even with my experience, I could only get a 60% win margin over my friends.

That's really all I can think of except for putting items on basic to ban stars, blue-shells, triple mushrooms, fake item blocks, and specials.
How many 'legal' stages would there be?

Bombchu Link

NNID
Arwing-Y
All of them except the two I mentioned.

Legal stages:

Luigi's Circuit
Peach's Beach
Mushroom Bridge
Mario Circuit
Daisy's Cruiser
Waluigi's circuit
Sherbet Land
Mushroom City
Yoshi's Circuit
DK mountain.
Wario's Coliseum
Dino Dino Jungle
Bowser's Castle
Rainbow Road

I put an hour into the game yesterday to refresh my memory and I'm pretty sure that's all that needs to be, rule wise anyway.

Finals should be three races though, (winner is tallied via points) the races are literally only 3 minutes long at most.

1st 6
2nd 4
3rd 3
4th 1

I can't wait to win compete in this thing. :]

I'll see if my gamecube works and then bring that, if it doesn't, I'll bring my Wii and Wii U with Mario Kart and sm4sh and PM. (and some extra possibly junky or Frankensteined gamecube controllers for mario kart)

Last edited:

wolfy the tall

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wolfydelang
3DS FC
2406-5855-2534
I would only bring my consoles and games if needed, or I could bring extra controllers in case of a shortage. That's about it I can't really brings any tables or chairs, maybe one or two chairs but I am not sure if they can fit in my car.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Updated the rules with one I forgot to actually write down:

In Customs: OFF, Miis may use any moveset they wish, but must be default height/weight.

All of them except the two I mentioned.

Legal stages:

Luigi's Circuit
Peach's Beach
Mushroom Bridge
Mario Circuit
Daisy's Cruiser
Waluigi's circuit
Sherbet Land
Mushroom City
Yoshi's Circuit
DK mountain.
Wario's Coliseum
Dino Dino Jungle
Bowser's Castle
Rainbow Road

I put an hour into the game yesterday to refresh my memory and I'm pretty sure that's all that needs to be, rule wise anyway.

Finals should be three races though, (winner is tallied via points) the races are literally only 3 minutes long at most.

1st 6
2nd 4
3rd 3
4th 1

I can't wait to win compete in this thing. :]

I'll see if my gamecube works and then bring that, if it doesn't, I'll bring my Wii and Wii U with Mario Kart and sm4sh and PM. (and some extra possibly junky or Frankensteined gamecube controllers for mario kart)
Sounds good to me; we could potentially just do a Stage-Striking type thing (we are at a Smash tournament, lol), though we'd need 1 less stage for that; random works as well, though, and is much faster.

I would only bring my consoles and games if needed, or I could bring extra controllers in case of a shortage. That's about it I can't really brings any tables or chairs, maybe one or two chairs but I am not sure if they can fit in my car.
Consoles and games would almost certainly be extremely helpful; which ones?

wolfy the tall

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wolfydelang
3DS FC
2406-5855-2534
Updated the rules with one I forgot to actually write down:

In Customs: OFF, Miis may use any moveset they wish, but must be default height/weight.

Sounds good to me; we could potentially just do a Stage-Striking type thing (we are at a Smash tournament, lol), though we'd need 1 less stage for that; random works as well, though, and is much faster.

Wii U and Wii, I do have Smash 4 but I do not have all of the custom moves unlocked and I have brawl but I have not all the characters for brawl, or I could bring other games besides smash.

Kid1999

Smash Rookie
Just double checking... Melee and project M are both on Sunday, right?

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Just double checking... Melee and project M are both on Sunday, right?
Yep, they're both on Sunday!

Wii U and Wii, I do have Smash 4 but I do not have all of the custom moves unlocked and I have brawl but I have not all the characters for brawl, or I could bring other games besides smash.
Probably bring Smash 4 (we can copy over the custom loadouts from my 3DS), but we shouldn't need more Brawl setups.

Bombchu Link

NNID
Arwing-Y

I'm sure that everyone will settle for random, but if striking begins, then remove Waluigi stadium from the striking list along with the first strike.

Great. I'll bring my Wii U for sm4sh and a Wii (doesn't load brawl or any dual layer disk) for mario kart.

Do you want me to bring my PC monitor (that has an HDMI slot)

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
This will likely be the last post before the event tomorrow (since I'm passing out soon), but please read it!

1) As of right now, we have 49 people pre-registered. Thanks to everyone who did; I'll see you there tomorrow or Sunday!

2) Anyone who can bring a table, PLEASE do! Tables are going to be the thing we're shortest on; it's way better to have too many than too few!
Also, please let me know if you're bringing one tomorrow; we're currently short enough that I'll have to rent a table, but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

3) I'm planning on bringing my desktop tomorrow (not guaranteed, but likely). If I do, we'll have 1080p recordings, and we'll also have Player Cams and Commentary!

Top Bottom