• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Appropriate applications for forward B?

Ghosthands

Smash Rookie
Is there any situation where forward B can be used well? I know Ken does it a lot but i didn't think there were any situations where it was the best option.

djmath

Smash Apprentice
beside recovering, the 3rd hit normal is a kill move, 3rd hit down is a spike if you're feeling flashy. just a single dancing blade can be a great interrupter on your opponent's moves or a combo starter (side b -> sweetspot up tilt can kill). I'm blanking on the other advantages of it, but it's fast and has some good hitstun and opens up possibilities.

dtmm

Smash Rookie
I agree with djmath. If you mess up your recovery and get too close to the stage before the up b/jump you can throw out a side b to cover (or fair). side b-> uptilt destroys floaties and also fox at a higher percent. aerial side b combos into up air or really a majority of marth's aerials (di and percent dependent I believe).

DJ _ICE

Smash Apprentice
Single sideB into uptilt, grab, tipped Dolphin slash, ftilt if they DI out in fear of the utilt are uses at high percents

Boondocker

Smash Ace
Forward-b is a good option as an approach while dashing towards your opponent. The first swing has alot less ending lag than D-smash and F-smash so it is much safer then them. It also can't be short hopped over like D-tilt can. Some characters cant even full hop over the 4th swing (up) so it really limits their options. Has anyone tried using it OOS?

Stuffin

Smash Rookie
I was playing vs a Falco the other day when I caught him with a sideB and then immediately Dsmashed killing him from about 15% I don't know if it was just because I caught him by surprise or if that is an actual thing.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
I've always liked to think of the dancing blade as the jab of the air, if always means within the last two minutes.

Jabs are good at throwing off your opponent when they're beneath you, since it messes with the timing that you'll reach the ground.
If you can catch them with second hit going ^, the later two will often hit. The final up slash is so strong. :D

^That + pretty much everything said above.

Chives

Smash Rookie
side-b on falco's up-b is actually pretty good at messing up his recovery. The hitstun lasts long enough so that he falls lower, often to the point where he can no longer recover. Taj does a pretty good job of using side-b to kill falcos, and I've had some moderate success in trying to do the same.

Lets see.

SideB1 has lots of different hitboxes and each one has a variety of parameters which make each one a bit unique. Depending upon your opponents DI you can attempt to follow-up on a successful catch with SB1. I would think this is still to random to declare as being reliable. Especially, if you goal is to hit with the remaining hits of dancing blades. Depending upon how they DI, the character, and which hitbox you hit with you would need to use a different dancing blade follow-up to continue. If you hit with all three hits of dancing blade I believe you got lucky.

Otherwise, the first hit is incredibly useful by itself. If you want to use the remaining follow-ups its a bit of a gamble given its properties. Probably the primary use for SideB is its ability to be used on the ground when dashing away and turn around immediately. Just do not use it for cutting projectiles like Pills and Turnips. It just slices through it without interacting with the attack. However, its incredibly weak too and prone to CC therefore. Useful as an anti-air approach if timed well to prevent trading. Its a terrible move to trade with due to its lack of knockback. You get hit by a Fox nair and sent flying fox recovers almost instantly due to the weak attack.

Its doesn't combo into anything as far as I know on characters and percentage. But, its a very good "trap".

Top Bottom