• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching with Luigi

l0telephone0l

Smash Cadet
Right, so much for a first post.

I'm trying to pick up Luigi, but I find it almost impossible to approach my friend, who uses Falcon (and Link, but that's not important). With Falcon, he just dash-dances -> grab and then U-airs, or he'll just camp with B-airs, which works because Luigi is crazy slow. I can beat him with almost every other character, even approach-less characters like Jiggly, but Luigi doesn't seem to click with me. Any advice?

Nephiros

Smash Ace
Jiggly has a few good, varied enough approaches.

I have absolutely no idea with Luigi though, try to short-hop uair his face when he's close enough, though he'll learn to counter that with usmash soon enough. Um... Spam dtilt.

House

Smash Journeyman
Try to constantly short hop and fair or dair. Avoid doing so much smash attacks on the ground, or you'll be an easy target for grabs, specially against falcon who is quick as hell. dair + upB

hambread

Smash Apprentice
try and use your fireballs as a cover. although they suck they should distract him enough.

felix45

Smash Lord
you can try retreating SH fireballs and double jump mind games if there are platforms. also sh any arial to uair so long as you z cancel the uair is good too. the uair should get the CF off gaurd if he is just dash dancing to grabs all game. also right after u air if you z cancel and you see his CF running in you can try sh dair or just down b to defend yourself. the main thing is to mindgame CF into approaching you then punishing him. easier said than done I know but like you said luigi doesn't really have an approach except if you want to count following a sh fireball, but that is predictable.

l0telephone0l

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the replies! D-air -> Up-b is okay, but not a great approach as well as being easily DI'ed out of. Most of the time, my approach is a SH-aerial to SH u-air or utilt -> u-air juggle -> up/down-b.

I can defend just well enough, but he's ridiculously campy as soon as he gets a lead.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
If he's just doing dash dance grabs your dair fair and bair can easily out range them. When he spams bair use fire balls or upsmash if he gets somewhat close to you, upsmash has a huge range.

hambread

Smash Apprentice
uh DI is an annoying thing. you can use more SHFFzcancel stuff to catch him off. but since luigi has sluggish jumps you hafta wait longer before you can fastfall, and those frames might be crucial

l0telephone0l

Smash Cadet
Brilliant! But I've figured out the best approach.

Fireball -> grab -> down-b spike! It's teh best combo EVAR!

Top Bottom