• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching With Ganon?

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
I've been making an effort to play as Ganondorf more, but I always have trouble when facing characters with more range. I was wondering if anyone had a good approach strategy in these situations. The best is equipping "Wizard's Dropkick" , but that, of course, is a custom move. Thanks!
:4ganondorf:

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
perfect shield.
Keep perfect shielding then hit them.
if you are not close enough to hit them. perfect shield some more.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
perfect shield.

This.

Ganon needs hard reads to get in, and sometimes, you'll end up chasing a character to opposite ends of the stage three times in a row before landing a solid lick. Make good use of empty jumps, wizkick, and yeah, perfect shields.

I have a few matches I kept handy just to demonstrate what I'm getting at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b4iNmRGu0U - the second match in particular.

Another good thing to keep in mind, is that rushing in isn't always an ideal strategy. Sometimes you want to slowly work you way to them, e.g. slowly push them towards the edge and limit their options. I personally like pushing people to the ledge then calling their bluff when they try to get away.

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
perfect shield.
Agreed. That's the problem with these slower characters. It turns into a battle to see who attacks who first. I slowly make my way to the other side of the stage, then lure them with a well timed Flame Choke. You're going to get punished hard if you rely on dashing.

Galactic Knight

Smash Rookie
NNID
LightMetaKnight
perfect shield.
The unfortunate truth, of which is easier said than done for sure. Notably if you're playing online and the tiniest amount of lag can subject you to a near unavoidable slew of projectiles.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I found myself perfect shielding immensely in matches thanks to quick timing of course, and it's not hard to do since you're playing as a slow character; the slower, the better at perfect shielding.

If you want a good approach against opponents, use U-Tilt, most will opt out to shield and have their shield broken. Then of course, there's Dash Attack and Wizard's Foot, and this is for Link only but...Warlock Punch.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
A really great approach I've been using is simply a well timed dash attack.The statup goes through nearly any projectile, for example this was a huge help in dealing with Arcfire. Wizkick is good if used intelligently, say to punish end lag or just use it unpredictably. Wizkick into projectiles can be useful as well as it clanks with most, although a bit towards the end of it I noticed it going through an active arcfire so that's something that may hav a potential use assuming it carries these properties into other scenarios. Well spaced short hop nair is also valuable, although not in excessive use.

Perhaps the most effective approach from my experience would be running and coming to a stop with enough distance to react to their attack. This gives you an idea of how they'll handle future approaches amd can allow potential punishes depending on what they do. Aside from that, don't forget your defensive options as well, preferably powershield but even a simple jump can get the job done. As long as you handle the situation accordingly, you'll have made distance which is valuable in any MU.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
The unfortunate truth, of which is easier said than done for sure. Notably if you're playing online and the tiniest amount of lag can subject you to a near unavoidable slew of projectiles.
Yeah Ganondorf sucks a lot with lag cause the way to be good with him is that you need to read your opponent well. Perfect shielding helps you get close to your opponent. The Flame Choke works well too to command grab your opponent, which is very comboable (definitely not a word)

Galactic Knight

Smash Rookie
NNID
LightMetaKnight
Yeah Ganondorf sucks a lot with lag cause the way to be good with him is that you need to read your opponent well. Perfect shielding helps you get close to your opponent. The Flame Choke works well too to command grab your opponent, which is very comboable (definitely not a word)
For the sake of Smash Brothers, it's a word.

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
Thank you all for your replies! I have been working on perfect-shielding, and It's been helping a lot. A well-timed dash attack also really helps against some projectile-spammers. However, It really is just a waiting game with Ganon. Wait and punish (and then edgeguard with an ultra-satisfying up-tilt).

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
jab, usmash, d-tilt, and AC uair are your zoning tools, whiff a few from far enough away that you can perfect shield if they try to punish, or choke if they shield. if your enemy is whiffing and zoning you too its super important you utilize dash forward to perfect shield, then dthrow to combo into dash attack/uair. wizkick is for chasing a descending enemy and punishing rolls/dodges (I've found fsmash is good for this too). dorf may be slow, but that just lets you jack with your opponent more, they don't know how slow you're going to be in the match. you can keep throwing out AC uairs and bairs from a dash, then start walking slowly, whiff a jab, do a few empty jumps, crossup to a grab (my favorite), or anything in between. the mindgames are endless with ganon.

Last edited:

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Lumber forward and shield until you get near enough for them to inevitably try to run away by rolling behind you and then ftilt their rolls.

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
down-b are obvious (down b goes through a lot of projectiles though that lag is scary) and f-tilt also i have been aproaching with down air allot for some reason

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Alright so I just played quite a few matches vs a couple spammy young links. Now spammers should be faced as a matchup by matchup basis, becase Ganon has different solutions depending on who you're facing. Examples:

Toon link: down B over arrows if timing is correct

Bowser Jr: Pick up walky dudes with dash attack and throw them back

Mario & Dr Mario: Dodge, shield, outspace any melee attacks he thows out, prtty easy

I'll update this post as i play more dudes

Basically for every match you want to throw off their rhythm, and get close, and don't let them get space again. Spammers don't like if you're close to them and very few know how to punish a close ganondorf correctly.

Also when you're close, use your tilts! Down tilt has such a long range, jab comes out fast, ftilt has kill potential, etc...

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
WDK / thread

Edit: Mostly what ppl have already said. Move in, threathen, but don't rush too hard.
Get your opponent out of balance and strike - once you've done that, Ganon gets dangerous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom