• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approach options for Greninja

FMHappy

Smash Cadet
I recently picked up Greninja, but on problem I have is that I don't Know how to approach. How is SHFF Nair and SHFF Fair? Are they good approach options and are they safe in shield?

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
shff fair when spaced correctly is pretty safe. Nair is not on most characters, but is a good move for crossing up shields

The problem with this question is honestly, why approach? We have a solid zoning projectile and some of the best mobility in the game. We should be using that to bait responses and unsafe approaches, while rarely approaching ourselves.

The trick to Greninja is pretending to approach. Running up to your opponent and then fading back with a fair is a great bait that creates two openings for your opponent to think they can punish and end up whiffing. Try playing around with baits like that.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Neutral air is only safe on characters with slow grabs and as a crossup. Don't use it as a jump-in. Forward air is only (mostly) safe if Greninja has no forward momentum and spaced properly

Greninja doesn't really have an approach. He's kind of a fast zoning/ spacing character who wants to get punishes and dash grabs. Partially charged shuriken have more knockback, and at higher percents they can knock people into the air so you can just run right up and punish their response depending on how they try to land.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Nair is -4 on shield. It is safe against every character without a very fast out of shield option, such as ZSS' Boost Kick. You have to land perfectly. Worth learning, because perfectly timed Nair is a free jump-in against most of the cast as long as they don't stuff you during the startup lag.

Fair is -8 on shield. As long as you land outside their shieldgrab range, you will more than likely be safe. You can land with forward momentum, you just have to space very well.

Last edited:

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
I recently picked up Greninja, but on problem I have is that I don't Know how to approach. How is SHFF Nair and SHFF Fair? Are they good approach options and are they safe in shield?
Ideally you should be forcing your opponent to approach, and reacting\punishing there mistakes.

BUT, I have that a safe way to approach with n-air is by aiming it at the back of your opponent and then do a retreating roll if they shield it to avoid a punish.

As the above posters have stated. Approaching with a F-air can be safe if you space it correctly.

Also, don't forget about approaching with a dash grab. :4greninja: has one of the best dash grabs.

Top Bottom