• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approach And Throws

DPAUL

Smash Rookie
I'm having some serious problem with my approach. With young Link I like to throw a boomerang then jump in with a nair, while this works some of the time, most of the time I get shield grabbed or my attack is CC and I'm just in danger of the down smash which generally hurts as I play a lot of Samus players. Anybody know any different approaches I feel like I should just stay grounded instead of taking to the air every 5 seconds any suggestions?

Also I got into a serious argument over the way to throw people. I always throw people up, but my friend told me the down throw is the best way to go. While I do know its different for different characters your facing I would just like to get a collection of the best way to throw different characters to setup the combo.

Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

timbu

Smash Apprentice
i think the downthrow is easier to combo with on most characters, but if you only downthrow your opponent will learn which way to di and when to tech...so it's never good to only use one type of throw, i think.

i like to approach from the air with an arrow, just b-tapped and not charged so it falls almost vertically on their heads. what you do after that depends on what they do with the arrow, maybe people don't expect it and get hit and with the fire stun you can neutral air or forward air them. if they block it and you know you might get shield grabbed because their shield is already up, stop your approach or maybe land and dodge->grab. if they let go of shield after the arrow then run in and attack however you wish.

this might not even work, it's an idea

Chip.

you know what to do
A good approach is to SH forward and throw a boomerang at the opponent this will help you gain ground twords your opponent and still spacing as well.

Always d-throw your opponent since it allows for better potential for combos like Tech chase or D-smash. Only u-throw for mindgames or to change things up. You can also semi Chain-grab FF (Space animals, Falcon etc.)

Giggidax

Smash Ace
my favorite approach is to run in with a bomb in hand. if i manage to get close enuff i drop the bomb, even if it blows up in both of our faces. cuz then i jus recover and nair or grab or dair etc.

i like to Dthrow my opponents. if the opponent techs left, right, or in place, just regrab and dthrow again. see if they learn from their mistakes. if im near the edge ill most likely try and side throw them off. Uthrow > uair juggles are one of my fav's as well.
i usually Uthrow fastfallers if i want a throw to lead to a combo.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
To me it all depends on what type of person I'm facing if it's a fast faller then I'll mostly up grab followed by an Upsmash or two, sometime I'll Dgrab followed by a Dsmash. If my opponent is a floater then I'll mostly Dthrow followed by a SH Dair, Nair, Fair or a full jump Dair, Nair, or Fair so they won't expect the same thing. The other types I'll switch it up between upGrabs and dGrabs.

And I do the same as Giggi if I'm near the ledge I'll throw them off the ledge.

Bane

Smash Journeyman
I generally d-throw to up tilt to virtually anything at low% and straight to an aerial at high%. Be sure to follow their DI as it strongly affects tradjectory on the vertical throws. As L33teHaxor said, up-throw to up-smash works well on low% fast fallers. F-throw and B-throw can lead to their corresponding aerial, but it's rather unreliable and very innefective, they impede you as much as they do your opponent.

Laijin

Smash Hero
For throws:
It all depends on the character. Floaties like Samus, Marth, Peach, etc. or even middle weight characters can be combo-ed more easily with down throw.
Up throw works on fast fallers at higher %s.
I would'nt suggest trying to grab with YL too much unless your 100% sure your going to land it. His shield grab is pretty bad..

For approach:
The best approach IMO is running away. xP Especially if your opponent has no projectiles of their own. If they do, then your gonna have to force them to come to you(This is really easy on platform stages, as their projectiles can normally just go in a straight line). If you can't run away and your bad at dodging their stuff, then approach them but be careful:
Usually, most characters have a bit of lag when they shoot their projectiles. This allows your bombs to hit them with more accuracy while they are on the ground. I don't suggest approaching with a bomerang when your opponent is on the same ground level as you. Unless they are above, stick with bombs since they have less lag and you can evade a counter attack more easily. If they do manage to block your projectile, then they will shield.
You have one of two options, and you have to read your opponent to chose wisely: You can either run or you can attempt a grab depending on what they might do. If you know they will somehow likely evade a grab and punish you, then just simply run away and try again. If your certain your grab will land because your opponent is slow and camps and stuff..then go for it. :o

Bane

Smash Journeyman
The answer is D:
None of the above.
Emus have more velocity than all of those.
Technically a marmot with a jet pack is faster too, but it wasn't one of the options either now was it.

Back on topic, in regards to your remarks on projectiles, I agree generally. Though keep youself balanced, in a pinch a smash thrown boomerang to the face comes out faster if you happen to be cornered and bombless.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I like to use the quick tapped bow - waveland- grab since usually they'll shield it. I think Y Link, with more difficult KO moves than most characters, is best played defensively. But thats jsut my two-cents. The SH-bombdrop shield= better than Pichu's character as a whole.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
Ylink can't chain throw right? I see no reason in using throws with him.
He can it's jus that it's not really that useful and it can be risky if you can't do it right. Since the lag time from missing the grab will mostly lead to you getting punished

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Well chainthrows are only one aspect of the throw. Chainthrowing in and of itself is really just a lame combo that packs on a walloping like 5 percent. But Y Link has the gift and the curse of an awkward affinity for not being able to chainthrow/very well. But he does have throws that EASILY set up some of his very few KO moves.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
Well chainthrows are only one aspect of the throw. Chainthrowing in and of itself is really just a lame combo that packs on a walloping like 5 percent. But Y Link has the gift and the curse of an awkward affinity for not being able to chainthrow/very well. But he does have throws that EASILY set up some of his very few KO moves.
Well said.

Top Bottom