• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Applying pressure with Lucina on Omega Stages/FD

superange

Smash Cadet
NNID
superange128
3DS FC
1032-2052-1009
I've been playing Lucina a bunch on For Glory

However, compared to my top 3 characters (according to my sig), I've having trouble finding ways to apply pressure and I lose more often than I win with Lucina.

I read a bunch of topics on this forum and I've tried different things for applying pressure/appraoching ( using short hop nairs, full hop fairs, counters, dash shield throws)

However, since Lucina as a somewhat short range, and no projectile she's a bit harder for me to use. I was only kind of OK with Marth in Melee/Brawl and Lucina/Marth both feel a bit worse to me in terms of range and in terms of how the people play online.

Things I feel like I should do more but just want to confirm:
-Side roll more, especially if the opponent is
-When facing against a camper.. side roll, shield, short hop nair/fair, and shield/grab a lot, try to punish them even if it's tough
-Try Shield > Grab more often, including mixing Dash Grabs
-Only save Down/Side Smash when you can punish/confident it can hit and/or get a kill
-Try using Shield Breaker when you are knocked out of the stage pretty when hit in an upward diagonal direction
-Don't use Neutral A's or tilts much, unless they roll towards you
-Try to stay in the air for aerials to apply pressure, just not sure which ones.
-Only Counter if you're sure you can predict them based on how they attack. Counter Enough to where they re-consider approaching you but to the point where it's easy for them to punish your counter.

Do I have the right idea? Any other tips you can offer?

Thanks.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
-Shield Breaker fully charged is quite the recovery tool, lunging forward quite a bit, so do indeed use it if you must.

-You can Counter more aggressively against opponents with predictable moves or against those that consistently have a tactic for edge guarding. Don't be afraid to Counter to ensure a safe ledge grab either si de you have your Dolphin Slash.

-Uair and side airs are great for pressure and damage. Dair can combo into side smash but is best used on whiffs from your opponent and nair is a decent poking tool.

-Side Smsh best used on counterless or helpless(recovered state) opponents.

Will comment more later.

alandaband

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1349-5943-3631
Two disclaimers: 1. I am really bad at this game and 2. I don't tend to fare very well using an aggressive Lucina. That being said:

I like NAir and FAir a lot.
And for some reason, people don't really expect Shield Breaker. I've had quite a bit of dumb luck with it.

Also haven't tried this but techchase to DACUS seems like it would work well.

ChrisD-

Smash Rookie
I'm not super good, but I don't see how tilts are bad; at least D-Tilt, anyways. One of her quickest, least punishable attacks, I think?

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Dtilt is punishable in this game. Too much endlag, not enough shieldstun or range. It has some uses, but pressuring with it is a risky choice.
Also haven't tried this but techchase to DACUS seems like it would work well.
It would, but good ****ing luck pulling that off with 3DS controls.

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
Dtilt is punishable in this game. Too much endlag, not enough shieldstun or range. It has some uses, but pressuring with it is a risky choice.

I think he means when wii u comes out. And you really think tilts are that bad? I know u-tilt and f-tilt are straight up garbage, but I thought her dtilt had a little merit...

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
They're not garbage, you just can't dtilt safely like you're playing Melee. I'd actually say dtilt is the worst tilt he's got this time around, and even that's not horrible. Ftilt is pretty useful and utilt still has the usual applications.

Last edited:

Nasreth

Smash Cadet
You guys hate her tilts? I know they aren't great but there's definitely some merit in a dash/foxtrot pivot f-tilt or u-tilt to punish an aerial approach. It has the most range of all her grounded abilities and comes out a lot faster than a smash.

I agree that d-tilt is pretty bad now. Shielding and rolling are just too buffed up for d-tilt to be an effective spacing tool.

On OT:

It's pretty hard to play aggressive with Lucina, or really most characters in this game from my experience. If you're forced to approach someone (projectile spammer) then your best bet is generally from the air. Try to land behind them or far enough away that they can't grab you after you put on some pressure with an f-air or n-air. If you're lucky you can bait them into assuming you have a pattern and back out just in time for them to make a mistake on an attempted punish. You can try using your side B as a mindgame/trick to bait moves as well, since it extends the time you're in the air slightly.

Defensively her options just rely on dodging with rolls and short hops until your opponent overcommits. Her easiest punish is a quick f-air or a grab. Dancing blade can work, but it's super easy to punish. Dash into up-smash or foxtrot f-smash is an excellent way to finish people above ~120% depending on character weight.

PS: If you ever have the opportunity at lower percents, try to use fast fall u-airs on opponents on the ground. Only do this if they miss an ability with lots of lag (grab/smash) but since u-air auto cancels it lets you follow up with a close range f-air in the air which often leads to several more, and potentially a spike :)

Last edited:

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
jumping at them and using shield breaker from a short distance is a good tactic. most times theyll either roll into it, try to jump out of the way, or shield (which u absolutely dont want to do against SHIELD BREAKER)

other than that, if theyre spamming projectiles, more often than not theyre waiting for you to chase so they can shield throw you, so using lucy's throws and following up with nair or fair is a good tactic.

I also like dancing blade against roll spammers, and short hop fair against people who like to play an aerial game.

Basically the tactics change depending on the playstyle or character but shield breaker is ALWAYS a good option so if you're stumped on how to approach, try it. It's also amazing pressure against stage recovery because if you use it in the air by the edge, if they air dodge its basically over. You either break their shield or send them flying.

Oh, and spam shield break against Jiggly. If you break their shield it's an auto KO

The TaBuu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheTaBuu
3DS FC
3454-0444-5134

In my opinion, Dtilt is still fantastic for pressuring. Dtilt does possess some end lag but it all depends on how your opponent reacts to Dtilt pressure. If they jump, swat them away with Dtilt. If they roll away, continue to pressure. If they roll behind you, Dsmash. When opponents roll behind a Dtilt it's a little hard to Dsmash quickly, so learn to read the roll.

Top Bottom