• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apparently, nintendo is sponsoring evo

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
This is a great move by Nintendo. I think they were impressed with the amount of hype from the invitational. Now they're putting more emphasis on competitive things. Giving a thank you to the core fans. Would be cool if we got some kind of an announcement there. Even if we don't though it's cool of the Big N to give the competitive community this little nod.

D

Deleted member

I'm so happy this is a thing.

Don't expect a reveal at EVO though. This Friday though... Olimar was revealed the Friday before last year. (I know it was because of Pikmin 3 coming out in Japan, but whatever)

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Is not for the fans that been fighting for Smash to be real Competitive play is happening. Nintendo want to make smash 4 to the next level that no one ever want.
All start with sakurai saying the balanced with Casual and Competitive in launch, I kwon that was a GOD sign. And he was. Were not getting the Melee with or a Brawl 2.0, were getting a new revolutionary Smash that really concentrated with competitive. heck even the Direct one of the focus was make all the battle look competitive as high can be and the same time casual.
When the invitational was made we know that was even better. Even people as Hungrybox and AmSa was there competing each other since the Melee days and now in the future Smash. Even the tournament use items, there really not many, just couple of them and the battle were long and exhausting. And stage hazard than usually never K.O. anyone except those Flying plataform.

Now this. The biggest and most badass biggest fighting game tourment of all time, EVO! Even Nintendo try to regret Melee last year and now they go Ape S*** with this year as the sponsor of EVO. All thanks to Nintendo, Smash Fans and the one who started all the hype each time that guy appears in the screen, LORD Sakurai.

P.S. I Nervous what characters are gonna be show, I voting for a Veteran, but is gonna be a newcomer, is need to be Chrom and Ike standard brother Chrom. (In reality I don't Like chrom but anyway just to hype Marth fans.)

D

Deleted member

P.S. I Nervous what characters are gonna be show, I voting for a Veteran, but is gonna be a newcomer, is need to be Chrom and Ike standard brother Chrom. (In reality I don't Like chrom but anyway just to hype Marth fans.)
Who said they were gonna show a character? Just saying. While this is good news, dial your hype back from a 99 to about a 15 or so. They probably won't show anything. Just assume they won't for now. That way, you won't be disappointed if they don't.

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this has been covered, but right before and right after the melee final there are "Announcements & rewards"
What do you think this means?

Source: http://shoryuken.com/2014/07/07/her...wered-by-team-spooky-ipw-and-capcom-fighters/
Gah. You beat me to it. Yeah, I found it interesting. It is possible that the first block is for something KI related, but I don't know how likely that is. I've never looked at an Evo stream schedule before, so I'm not sure if this is normal. Either way, I'm super psyched.

Last edited:

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
Didn't Zer0 after winning the Invitational say that Nintendo had a big announcement for the competitive scene, but ended up being unable to announce it.

Maybe they will announce it here?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Didn't Zer0 after winning the Invitational say that Nintendo had a big announcement for the competitive scene, but ended up being unable to announce it.

Or maybe this was it- that they'd be sponsoring EVO

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877

Perhaps. Maybe the announcement is that Smash 4 will be a staple of EVO from this point onward...

pickle962

Smash Lord

If Nintendo is now giving the competitive community the time of day, I would imagine now would be the time? :rolleyes:

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps. Maybe the announcement is that Smash 4 will be a staple of EVO from this point onward...
Uh... EVO would never make a game a "staple" before it's released. They might add it to the list of primary tournaments for 2015, but anything after that will be based on the turnout and reception.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
It's fantastic Nintendo's finally on board for this kind of stuff, but I'm more curious to hear Sakurai's and the Smash dev team's point of view on this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom