• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex - Biggest Tournament in NYC and why YOU should go.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
So I know many of you guys down south have been traveling up and down the East Coast. Now here is something interesting. I have a tournament coming up on April 4-5 called Apex. It is hosted by me Alex Strife ( lightxdream ) and my goal is to have this to be my biggest tournament yet. I am creating this thread in an attempt to spread HYPE and the word of this tournament.

Here are a few things to consider about this tournament.

--Huge Venue for a cheap price
-A tournament ran by me, Phoenix Era ( With the best ZSS in the EC Snakee) and Team Supremacy! ( with Ninjalink and D1 two of the best in NYC and EC )
-2 day tournament where everything will end at 10pm so we can get great sleep!
-Mics and Recording equipment so we play matches online
-Chairs!!!
-Great low price to encourage all tournament goers to go!
-Commentating by me and other great smashers
-Super close to Manhattan and Bronx ( 1st stop in Brooklyn in the best area and college possible )
-MUCH MORE

I have information for airport travel here :

VI. Traveler's Info

VIa. Hotels

Hotel Reserve
20 Maiden Lane
New York, NY, 10038
866-539-0036
Price : $[FONT=&quot]149.00[/FONT]

New World Hotel
101 Bowery
New York, NY, 10002
866-539-0036
Price : [FONT=&quot]150.00[/FONT]

Hotel 17
225 E 17th St
New York, NY, 10003
866-539-0036
Price : [FONT=&quot]153.33[/FONT]

The Jane Hotel
113 Jane St
New York, NY, 10014
866-539-0036
Price : 99.00

VIb. Flying Into New York City

Flying in via plane? Apex is pretty close to La Guardia Airport. LGA
the M60 bus ( $2 bucks each way ) which picks you up at the airport and drops you off at 116th and Broadway in front of the gates of Columbia University. From here you can take a bus, taxi or subway to anywhere in Manhattan.

VIc. Driving To New York City

Driving in via car? Mapquest it. Parking is pretty awesome around here.

VId. Public Transportation

If you are traveling from New York:

Poly is located on Jay St. It is across the street from City Tech, and is located right outside the Jay St. exit of the A, C, F Jay St.- Borough Hall stop. It is also walking distance away from the R, M and 2,4,5 trains

If you are traveling from New Jersey:

To get here from NJ you would go to Penn Station via NJ Transit and from there take the A and C Jay St.- Borough Hall stop

If you are traveling from PA in Philadelphia or right outside of it: Take the ChinaTown bus to Penn Station and take the A and C Jay St.- Borough Hall stop.

VIe. Housing

I, Alex Strife, am housing 10 people at my house Saturday Night. If you are interested, please PM me.

DJ Nintendo will be housing people as well. If you know him please PM him as he does not want strangers at his house.

Jtails may be able to house someone

Ron ( phillybilly ) may house some depending on who needs it and if he attends the tournament

Xivik will house people if needed as well

Now here is where I tell you what is in it for you besides that. This tournament is in NYC. You can literally end at 10pm and go out to 42nd street ( which is 4 stops on the train away ) or go to Chinatown and the place is still booming. This is NYC and it can be HUGE.

My last LOCAL tournament had 172 players and if you think about it most of those return for your second event. So we are guaranteed 120 players locally. Imagine the math :

Singles $10 = $1200 GUARANTEED
Doubles $20 x 50 teams ( my last doubles tournament ) = $1000 Guaranteed

That is LOCALLY $2200 in prizes in NYC. If more come from out of state if could reach $3000-5000.

Now I know some of you ( PB&J, Sebrick, Mike G, etc ) and I can tell you this tournament will be something to really look into in April.

The choice is ultimately yours guys so please take a look at the thread at the very least

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211171

Top Bottom