• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone think that Brawl will be the final SSB game?

Ced The Lad

Smash Apprentice
Doubtful. The series is far too successful. They'll keep making it until we stop buying.

What you need to worry about is if the development team changes dramatically. Say Sakurai doesn't want to work on the series anymore. Or if people who have never touched smash are put in charge of the next game. That change in direction may be enough to sour the next game and hurt sales/opinion.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Final one directed by Masahiro Sakurai? Most likely. And that... that might be a big problem. Even Nintendo themselves knew Sakurai was the only one who could take it as far as he has...

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Nah, hopefully it will be the only one on Wii, and Sakurai won't be making another (so he says). So it might be the last really good one, but there will be more.

SurooshX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SurooshX
If anyone thinks that this is the last SSB game, then I'm sorry, but you're an idiot...I big idiot. Like Ced The Lad said, the series is WAY to successful to be dropped. Think of it on a business perspective. Imagine how much money they wouldn't gain if they dropped the franchise.

Trust me, Smash is here to stay, and it'll never leave.

iMichael

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure he'll make another one...things like this always happen. He also thought he wasn't going to touch MetaKnight again and look at Meta now....

On Topic: No...Nintendo isn't stupid.

SurooshX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SurooshX
And why the hell would you guys think this game would go multiplatform!? A Nintendo game will NEVER be on another platform except a Nintendo platform. 'Nough said...

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
And why the hell would you guys think this game would go multiplatform!? A Nintendo game will NEVER be on another platform except a Nintendo platform. 'Nough said...
Unless it will evolve in a no-more-just-Nintendo-chars game.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
Smash is way too profitable for nintendo.

It would be silly to not make another like 4 or 5 smash bros, they just make way too much money.

InvincibleAgent

Smash Lord
Corneria, Oregon, US - Melee: Roy, Link, Ganondorf
Jacobcc, you'd do better if you don't post threads. Seriously.

Look at my post count. Do you know how many threads I've posted? 1.

This forum works differently than most forums. There's already a thread for everything that's not new. Yes, there was another thread asking this very question.

It's especially bad since it's a bad question in the first place. How on Earth do you expect anyone to know the answer? I mean, for certain? If Brawl does well, there will be another. If it doesn't, there won't. Why are you asking a question that can't be answered?

And one for the PS3? Are you from the future? Do you have some insight that Sony will buy Nintendo? Because there is absolutely no evidence that that will happen at this point in time. So why even ask? It's ridiculous.

Also, don't trust "some guy". Ever.

okiyama

Smash Ace
Smash is way too profitable for nintendo.

It would be silly to not make another like 4 or 5 smash bros, they just make way too much money.
making 4 or 5 more would be excessive, at that point it's not about sales anymore it's about the credibility of the company. The only series that has pulled off that number of sequels and still staying good is final fantasy.

Also lets remmber that just because it's Smash doesn't mean it's good. It could be that the next one will be bad enough that people won't but it enough fro the company to take the risk of a loss on the next game after that.

So overall, since it's so successful they'll still making them but once it ges stale or sales drop they'll probably stop.

NukeA6

Smash Master
This sure feels like the last Smash Bros game. If there are any others, I cannot expect them to be any better especially since Nintendo called Sakurai for Brawl. And he's not gonna make another one.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Well, considering the interviews I've seen with Sakurai, I don't think it will be the last installment, but I guess we can expect 7 or more years for the next game.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
do you think there will be a SSB for PS3?

BTW, i don't think it will be the last SSB..i was just asking for everyones oppinons
Are you serious? C'mon, man. The PS3 is Sony's console. What would Nintendo stand to gain by releasing a game like Smash bros. for one of their COMPETITORS? I hate it when people say things like this.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
making 4 or 5 more would be excessive, at that point it's not about sales anymore it's about the credibility of the company. The only series that has pulled off that number of sequels and still staying good is final fantasy.

Also lets remmber that just because it's Smash doesn't mean it's good. It could be that the next one will be bad enough that people won't but it enough fro the company to take the risk of a loss on the next game after that.

So overall, since it's so successful they'll still making them but once it ges stale or sales drop they'll probably stop.
Who says Smash can't have have more than 5 installments? As long as they wait a while in between, like say a few years, and they epically improve each Smash game like they have so far, Smash could go on for decades just like Final Fantasy or Zelda.

okiyama

Smash Ace
Who says Smash can't have have more than 5 installments? As long as they wait a while in between, like say a few years, and they epically improve each Smash game like they have so far, Smash could go on for decades just like Final Fantasy or Zelda.
But that's the thing you can't epicly improve every game. After a while it's still gonna be just the same old smash which isn't bad for us competetive players but for the casual why would they buy the same game over and over?

But if smash is as successful as Final Fantasy(which so far I don't think it is) then maybe having 6-7 games would be justified but I doubt that something that's so similar will continue that long. Also FF has a story which makes it so it can be new everytime if they just give it a new story but Smash although it does have a weak story with SSE can't exactly make it so it's new with the story.

I might submit this arguement to SMYN...

ricydafrog

Smash Journeyman
no to both your stupid questions
anyone who's ever said there's no such thing as a stupid question has changed there mind after meeting Jacobbc
to Igneious42- oh and i really hope they'll make a new one before the eighth generation of game consoles comes out... but that's just me

Croco

Smash Lord
Miyamoto could take over as the head developer if they make a 4th game..
And if they bring back the same team that made Brawl a sequel would turn out fine.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Smash without Sakurai is like a Black Mage without any of the elemental spells.

It just doesn't make sense. Unless Sakurai had at least some say in it, discussed with the new designer something, or at least the new designer tries to emulate Sakurai's style, Smash just won't be smash, and thus I feel that this would really be the last REAL smash brothers.

I worry Nintendo would start pulling what they do with other games like Mario Party, and much to our horror we'd end up with playable characters like Dry Bones and Waluigi.

Titan05

Smash Journeyman
But that's the thing you can't epicly improve every game. After a while it's still gonna be just the same old smash which isn't bad for us competetive players but for the casual why would they buy the same game over and over?

But if smash is as successful as Final Fantasy(which so far I don't think it is) then maybe having 6-7 games would be justified but I doubt that something that's so similar will continue that long. Also FF has a story which makes it so it can be new everytime if they just give it a new story but Smash although it does have a weak story with SSE can't exactly make it so it's new with the story.
1. There are plenty of games out there that have mediocre improvements year after year and still sell pretty well. (See: Madden, FIFA, College Football games...) Other series such as Unreal and Soul Calibur/Edge release new games every few years or so and both of those series are still pretty popular. (Soul Calibur Legends never happened)

2. Yeah... You know those fighting games... There is no way they can release a similar game and still make money. Street Fighter doesn't have over 5 different versions...

3. Why can't SSE have a good storyline? You have absolutely no warrant for this arguement.

Finally, Nintendo is a corporation. Like all corporations, Nintendo seeks profit. So long as a product makes money, corporations will continue to produce the good. In this case, if SSBB makes a profit, another one will be released.

Revven

FrankerZ
Miyamoto could take over as the head developer if they make a 4th game..
And if they bring back the same team that made Brawl a sequel would turn out fine.
But, the question remains, how would he fair directing a fighting game? Miyamoto is more of the guy that directs his own creations. He's imaginative and the guy behind Nintendo's success. He basically gave Zelda to Eiji Aonuma (though he still oversees it) and his latest work is Wii Fit. I don't think he'd fair with SSB too well, especially, since he probably wasn't that much involved with the first two much less, the third.

Honestly? This is the last one that has Sakurai's name in the credits. Seriously, it's all in color. Sakurai didn't know about there being a new SSB when it was announced back in E3 '05, in fact, Nintendo asked him on the spot on that day to develop Brawl. It sounded to me as though Sakurai doesn't want to continue to make games. It's like he wants to retire but he can't because of how many people need him.

The pure and simple fact is that Sakurai will be done with Smash after this. There's nothing more he could possibly add to this franchise that he hasn't already, they really have thought of everything. If they knew they were going to make a fourth one, they wouldn't put so much into Brawl. Hell, we probably wouldn't even have Stage Builder.

The guy isn't going to continue the franchise and the most Nintendo could do is add characters and stages, that's it. That's what they were going to do with the new Smash if Sakurai didn't direct the game. Yes folks, it was going to be Melee with new characters, stages, and online. Would you have liked that? Not me.

I would only want the series to continue if it had a valid reason to and if the person behind the last three games was in the development team. If Sakurai didn't make it, likely, it won't turn out good. But, we'll have to wait and see what happens 7+ years from now because Brawl will keep us busy for a lifetime, that I guarantee.

Yes, I sound sure of myself because of Nintendo's doubt in their ability to create a new Smash without Sakurai. That's what they intended to do if Sakurai wouldn't develop Brawl, create Melee+, an expansion pak if you will. Oh, and improved graphics of course.

Ithilgore

Smash Apprentice
But, the question remains, how would he fair directing a fighting game? Miyamoto is more of the guy that directs his own creations. He's imaginative and the guy behind Nintendo's success. He basically gave Zelda to Eiji Aonuma (though he still oversees it) and his latest work is Wii Fit. I don't think he'd fair with SSB too well, especially, since he probably wasn't that much involved with the first two much less, the third.

Honestly? This is the last one that has Sakurai's name in the credits. Seriously, it's all in color. Sakurai didn't know about there being a new SSB when it was announced back in E3 '05, in fact, Nintendo asked him on the spot on that day to develop Brawl. It sounded to me as though Sakurai doesn't want to continue to make games. It's like he wants to retire but he can't because of how many people need him.

The pure and simple fact is that Sakurai will be done with Smash after this. There's nothing more he could possibly add to this franchise that he hasn't already, they really have thought of everything. If they knew they were going to make a fourth one, they wouldn't put so much into Brawl. Hell, we probably wouldn't even have Stage Builder.

The guy isn't going to continue the franchise and the most Nintendo could do is add characters and stages, that's it. That's what they were going to do with the new Smash if Sakurai didn't direct the game. Yes folks, it was going to be Melee with new characters, stages, and online. Would you have liked that? Not me.

I would only want the series to continue if it had a valid reason to and if the person behind the last three games was in the development team. If Sakurai didn't make it, likely, it won't turn out good. But, we'll have to wait and see what happens 7+ years from now because Brawl will keep us busy for a lifetime, that I guarantee.

Yes, I sound sure of myself because of Nintendo's doubt in their ability to create a new Smash without Sakurai. That's what they intended to do if Sakurai wouldn't develop Brawl, create Melee+, an expansion pak if you will. Oh, and improved graphics of course.
I don't think Sakurai wants to retire, he left HAL because he was tired of making sequels. I'd say he wants to make original game without anyone telling him whate to do, like at HAl were he was jsut making endless Kirby sequels. Hence why he founded Sora, to make his own game.

He wasn't going to do Brawl because it wa a sequel, but he said before was convinced by either either Iwata or Miyamoto, can't quite remember, to do at least one more, with a large team and all the time and effort he wanted to put in, so he's making Brawl absolutely huge, since he reckons it'll be his last, so he's going out with a bang.

SSBB will last us even longer then Melee I think, with all the effort and endless features and expanded modes being put into the game. Maybe Sakurai will be convinced to do another 7 or 8 years from now, when obviously things will be different, he'll probably have been making his own games with Sora the whole time, he might not object to a fourth one, even bigger then before, on whatever console Nintendo have out by then.

I wouldn't want another if Sakurai wasn't at the helm, it's his creation and vision, and I don't think anyone else could do as well in the head position. Luckily I think Brawl will last us for many years, so I'm not worried.

espio87

Smash Ace

I fully agree with you. I honestly think that sakurai did all of this (SSE, stage builder, online mode, etc, etc, etc) to make sure that there won't be a better smash than this one and, therefore, end the smash saga. we have to admit it, sakurai decided to develop this game to keep our mouths shut and our hands busy for the rest of our lives;)

Robble

Smash Cadet
Well, if I was Nintendo (and I'm not, because if I was there'd already be a Pokemon MMORPG out there giving WoW a run for its money) here's what I would do. First, I'd give Sakurai a year break from doing Smash, let him work on whatever he wants and let Brawl do its job making me millions and garner all kinds of new fans. Then I'd announce a DS version of some sort and do the same thing that happened before: drop out of the sky and beg him to make it. I wouldn't tell him what to do with it, just ask him to try and do it in about two years. Full creative control.

I'd have him go on hiatus until the next system is about to come out and do the same thing Nintendo did all over again: ensure the fans months before the system release that a Smash game is in development and make it a Second Generation game, so Sakurai can learn from others' ups and downs on the new system and create the best possible 2nd Gen game out there. Oh, and then about a year later he could make another game for whatever portable Nintendo is pimping out at that time... In my opinion if such a cycle of creation started I hope it never ends.

Of course if Sakurai wouldn't want to play along then that throws a monkey wrench into the works, doesn't it? In that case I'd probably do the same thing even without Sakurai there. The money would flow quite well, I'm sure, because the dedicated superfans make up a single digit percentage of the sales.

Oh, and Falco400: If I didn't know then what I know now then yes, I would have been pleased as punch (punch is, for the record, constantly ecstatic) to have SSBM2: The Sequel With Just New Characters, Stages, and Online. Because it would have been much, much, MUCH better than nothing at all.

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
InvincibleAgent your whipping out the post count? Just how many times you've posted usually doesn't matter. it's about what you post. while the topic itself does indeed have another thread. Now, the answer to this topic, since I'm polite enough to give you one. Yes. Movies and videogames alike, trilogies are all the rage, and the third is like KABOOM! Halo, Shrek, even various Disney movies, except Toy Story. A quadrilogy is more fun to say, but isn't as... umm... it doesnt sell as good as a trilogy does. Star Wars is TWO trilogies, and BOTH times the third was, IMO the best!

wangston

Smash Lord
The way Sakurai has been talking in some of the updates make you wonder. Like with the stage editor he mentions you will have enough new stages to last forever or something like that. He has left hints here and there but it just might be the last SSB he does.

Matt Silver

Smash Journeyman
In a world where there is no Sakurai. Only Link...
Anybody who thinks this is the last Smash game should immediately drop something heavy on their little toe. Repeatedly.

In all seriousness, I don't think it will be the last. As for the whole Sakurai thing, I'm sure he'll be in SSB4 somehow (Creative consultant? Special thanks to...?).

Top Bottom