• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone Meditate?

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Sure....

Anyways. You don't need to double post, especially when your just saying the same thin over again.

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
my comp. is jacked up. it wouldn't go anywhere when i tried to submit my first comment, so i refreshed it and didn't see my comment, so i typed it in again, then i saw two msgs by me on a new page. i'm tryin to edit/delete on of em but erytime i click on edit, nothin comes up except for a circle, i'm still waitin for it to load on labtop, i'm typin this up from a wii. i'm tellin da truth! sry! i'ma delete one of em when this thing lets me. again i'm sorry!

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I've tried a bit of meditation in the past, but it just doesn't work very well for me. It doesn't help relieve my stress or anything. In fact, it seems to compound the problem because I feel that by sitting and doing, essentially, nothing, I'm only making the problem worse. The only thing that relieves any stress is actually doing something about the stressor, and being proactive about it. As for dealing with emotions... I'm not big on that.

Also I'd like a medal for saving this topic's life. Cash awards are fine too.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I can't meditate. I can't help but think how stupid I look, and start laughing.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
What kind of meditation specifically do you mean? Because I don't do the legs crossed meditation,but I do other sorts of self meditation.

DarkWolf123

Smash Apprentice
I do just sitting with my back straight and I just clear my mind and relax.

I guess sleep can count as meditating.... But not really :laugh: I don't know...:chuckle:

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've tried a bit of meditation in the past, but it just doesn't work very well for me. It doesn't help relieve my stress or anything. In fact, it seems to compound the problem because I feel that by sitting and doing, essentially, nothing, I'm only making the problem worse. The only thing that relieves any stress is actually doing something about the stressor, and being proactive about it. As for dealing with emotions... I'm not big on that.

Also I'd like a medal for saving this topic's life. Cash awards are fine too.

Thats one of the biggest misunderstandings about meditation today, it may be because this is hard to understand but try to wrap your brain around this:

Because of the very nature of exercise, if you ever try to use meditation for a specific purpose other sitting down with yourself, you will gain nothing, learn nothing, and whatever outside benefit you were going for will be completely lost to you.

That being said, The rewards of meditation are much more immediate and awesome than what the media says its good for, and the very fact that you may say that you don't notice it is evidence that you probably don't get enough of it in your life.

Another thing regarding what I just said is that a lot of people will write off a lot of what I'm saying as vague and incomprehensible. Before saying this you should think about the activity itself. The entire exercise is built to make us let go of all things we think are mentally tangible. The core of the practice of meditation therefore is intangible, It is beyond our thoughts(and thus beyond our words); Thats the very purpose of it! We are meant to sit down and focus on a sensation or on just our awareness itself; if we have a thought we are meant to give it the most careful attention we can muster. and if enough observation is put on the thought itself (and not its subject matter) it will dissipate. As one monk put it, You must sit like a mountain among the clouds, The mountain needs not reach out and grab the clouds for even if he could they would not go away, the mountain needs merely watch them as they eventually clear.

To expect some superficial notion of relaxation from a mental construct of a life that you have spent years constructing and obsessing over is ridiculous of course. Its no wonder you felt nothing meditation was just another part of that life to you and when that life in general is stressing you out, any other part of that life will stress you out even more.

Thats why meditation is still predominantly considered a religious practice, it focuses on something larger and greater than your concept of "you" and what it can do for "you."

American media has completely *******ized meditation, yoga, and anything ,in my opinion, that it pushes under the name of "relaxation."

CrystalMidnight

Smash Cadet
I use to try to meditate but when you have a small dog jump in your lap kids screaming around you and throwing stuff at you it's kinda hard to concentrate. So now to "meditate" I play GH2

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Thats just lame.
It helps gets rid of stress, calms me down, I feel good after it and my health improves afterwards. I don't see what's lame about it.

But then again, I'm not one who judges before he knows.

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
The Mad Hatter, Where do you meditate?
Oh I love to do it in the bathroom, closet, park, work, classroom, bus stop, kitchen, restaurants, outside, in the mall, on national tv, and all kinds of other locations. Im getting really good at in. I think Ill go pro next year.

Do you feel your meditation isn't as strong by the third time?
Dude, it gets stronger with each time. Just ask my neighbors.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It helps gets rid of stress, calms me down, I feel good after it and my health improves afterwards. I don't see what's lame about it.

But then again, I'm not one who judges before he knows.

Well what is lame is that you call that meditation which is a SPIRITUAL practice. If you would have read my rant earlier you would have known that.

I could say those exact same things about exercise and nobody would know.

Don't call it meditation if its not.

Thats just lame.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
Well what is lame is that you call that meditation which is a SPIRITUAL practice. If you would have read my rant earlier you would have known that.

I could say those exact same things about exercise and nobody would know.

Don't call it meditation if its not.

Thats just lame.
I'm know some people who pretty much find it spiritual.

Just because it doesn't sound like it'd work for you, doesn't mean it won't work for others.

Top Bottom