• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone here mod/repair game systems?

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
wouldn't it be easier to get it repaired in your own city, or by nintendo than shipping it off to some stranger.

finalark

SNORLAX
You know you could just send it into Nintendo.

Sure, it's pricey but it gets the job done and I'd trust the Big N with my 3DS than someone I met on the internet. A friend of mine's shoulder buttons stopped working on his 3DS so he sent it in and got 'em both fixed. And while it was in they also repaired a few pixels that had gone out on his top screen for free.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
The problem is that my system isn't broken. I want to remove the top half so it's like a PSP or a non-SP GBA.

I found this pic on the internet:

I want to do the same thing to my system.
But this puts me in a difficult situation, because I don't know if I can do it myself. (but I am strongly considering trying to do it myself)

I want to see what my options are.
If I can get one-on-one advice from someone who repairs DS systems, that might be a good start.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
First of all, that's a DS, not a 3DS. You can tell because it's got a GBA cart sticking out of the bottom. To me, it looks like some goof snapped his DS in half, and is now using it as a GBA, because he broke it. That's doesn't look like any sort of mod I've ever seen in my life.

Which begs the question, why don't you just buy a DS or GBA? You couldn't play GBA games on your 3DS unless you buy them off the eShop anyway.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
I am aware it's a DS Lite. I'm saying I want to do the same thing to my 3DS XL.

It's not to play GBA games. (though on a related note, I was considering getting a non-SP GBA. So yea, I was actually considering whether I'd want a "topless" DS Lite like in the pic.)

Why? I want a 3DS XL system ideal for touchscreen games. (though Mr. Driller games will work too)

When you say that you want someone who can help you mod your 3DS most people are going to assume you want something like this:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2006/02/DS-mod-famicom.jpg

If you really want to throw your $200 down the toilet then I'd assume that removing the top half is just a matter of undoing a few screws and cutting the right wires.
I need to know if removing the top screen will make the bottom half stop working.
Also I'm told that dismantling a DS/3DS system is not noob-friendly, and that I will probably break something considering I've never done this before.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
I tried to contact two different 3DS repair websites and neither have emailed me back yet.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they thought I would come to my senses or that I was simply drunk. I should email them again so they know I am serious and will perhaps reconsider my offer.

edit: Actually I just noticed that Nintendorepairshop.com doesn't even repair 3DS XL systems. The left column specifically lists out DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, and 3DS... but not 3DS XL.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
correct me if im wrong but dont most 3DS games require both screens. it seems like a huge waste of money to make a system not work anymore

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone here mod/repair systems? I want to remove the face buttons from my Dreamcast controllers.
Here's my idea for Dreamcast:

the 2nd UMD slot (lol) would also need to sawed off.
I might saw off the entire UMD slot casing. In other words the UMD slot would be completely exposed. (but you'd generally have a UMD in the controller, so it wouldn't matter. The VMU would be exposed however.)

a more advanced mod might put the UMD slot near the system (like a normal memory card) and have the cord come out of the top of the controller rather than the bottom.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
^all that does is play N64 games. :/
This thread is nothing but terrible suggestions and y'all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Anyway I've put the 3DS thing on hold, and right now I'm looking into alternate ways to charge a PSP.

PSP can actually charge using USB (most likely a side effect of being awesome) but in that case can't I use an iPad charger to charge it? As in one of these:

It looks like a USB port that you plug into the wall.. that is sick as **** I want one. I'm fed up with charging cables, if this method works I can get an extremely short (e.g. 1 foot or shorter) USB cable and just charge my PSP that way.

edit: This is going well:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...10831&cs_id=1085102&p_id=10273&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10303&cs_id=1030301&p_id=5436&seq=1&format=2

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Ok. I finally got around to this. I took apart my DSi completely, removed the top screen. Stopped working.
Took it apart, re-attached the top screen.. it works!
Took it apart, removed the top screen again... Doesn't work.
Right now I have a DSi, without top screen, and 2 things sticking out of the hinge: a wifi antenna and top screen ribbon cable.

I see that people got the DS Lite mod to work in one of two ways
a) they solder a resistor (or bulb) to the LEDA2 and LEDC2 points on the motherboard
b) they solder a resistor to the top screen ribbon cable.

Problem is, DSi doesn't have any points labelled LEDA2 or LEDC2. I theorize that I should be able to use two other points in their place, but I have no idea which ones.

Then there's the screen ribbon cable method. I tried testing this by scotch taping a resistor to 2 of the solders on the screen ribbon cable, but the DSi still didn't work. But I don't know if that means anything. I probably just don't know what I'm doing. Maybe the resistor is just not the right kind. Plus there's the fact I didn't actually solder the resistor, but merely had it touching the solders. (maybe it wasn't touching them but rather a hair's length away, that or maybe the solder and/or resistor wasn't clean enough.. I did put tape on them after all) There's also the fact that the screen ribbon cable had 4 solders (2 per speaker) but 2 of them came clean off when I pulled out the speaker. Maybe those points would work if I add solder there.

The preview image of this vid shows the top screen ribbon cable method:

Here's the more common LEDA2/LEDC2 method:

But again, the DSi doesn't have any points labelled that. I need to know which points to use. Anyone know this sort of thing? Pics of the DSi motherboard are on google... I can provide links if desired.

Top Bottom