• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone have luck using a 4GB SDHC card?

VehementSloth

Smash Rookie
I have a softmodded Wii but a legitimate copy of Brawl. For all the homebrew stuff I've done for my Wii, the 4GB card has worked without a single problem until I tried to use it with PM. I downloaded the hackless Wii zip file, extracted it all onto the SD card, deleted stages, but it won't boot project M and instead just boots up the stage builder as normal.

Does my SD card need to be empty except for those folders/files? I could try without but it would mean deleting all my homebrew stuff which I'm not keen on doing at the moment. So my questions are: Have any of you got it working with a 4GB SDHC card, and does my problem sound familiar? Thanks in advance.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
To use the 4 GB SD card, you have to use the homebrew version and launch through the project M launcher, not stage builder. This is because brawl does not support SDHC

VehementSloth

Smash Rookie
To use the 4 GB SD card, you have to use the homebrew version and launch through the project M launcher, not stage builder. This is because brawl does not support SDHC
Can I still use my disc copy, but just go through the Project M launcher? Instead of having to use an ISO I mean.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Yes. The project M launcher only works if you have an actual disc. It's an updated and revised version of GeckoOS for brawl basically.

R0Y

Smash Master
Already answered but yeah, your disc copy will do nicely. Project M wasn't designed to encourage piracy. There was a Wii update at one point that allowed SDHC cards but when Brawl was released (and never updated), 2 GB was the limit. IIRC some mod will increase the limit for user-generated content though.

Check to see if you have a lower capacity SD card in a camera you can swap with the SDHC.

Last edited:

VehementSloth

Smash Rookie
Yes. The project M launcher only works if you have an actual disc. It's an updated and revised version of GeckoOS for brawl basically.
Awesome I finally got it to work. Thanks very much to you and all else who replied. Now to spend way too much time trying to get good at this game.

VehementSloth

Smash Rookie
One other question instead of making a new topic, do people ever use classic controllers in competitive smash instead of gamecube controllers? Or even a wiimote-nunchuck combo? Or is it even allowed?

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
People use whatever they're comfortable with.

BumbleWood

Smash Rookie
I've tried searching and I haven't been able to find it yet. Could you refer me to a walkthrough/guide to the project m launcher method? I'm a little unclear on a lot of the details.

Top Bottom