• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone got any tips to get good with Shulk?

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
You could probably learn a lot from going online and watching Shulks in the replay channel under spectate. Otherwise, make good use of Shulk's neutral air. It has no landing lag. A good technique to master is to short hop, use the move, and then fast fall back to the ground. You can approach opponents like this too.

Shulk requires timing and spacing. His moves have a lot of range, so if possible try to attack from outside of the opponent's range. Shulk's smash attacks are easily punishable if you miss them, so be careful not to use them when you are not sure if it will hit.

Shulk's counter is a good asset to his play-style. Don't forget that it's there! If you see bowser charging up his smash attack as you're falling in front of him, use it and it should deal a looot of damage.

-Don't overuse back slash.

Lastly, you need to grow familiar with the monado arts, what they do, and when to use them. You can find all kind of info about that here:
http://smashboards.com/threads/this...shulk-movelisting-metagame-discussion.369285/

Everything I have said, and much, much more, can be found in that thread. It is a great tool for a Shulk player.

Daryl

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1693-1886-6962
I think Shulk just have a high learning curve.

Some tips for me :
-Learn Monado Art: that makes use Shulk really useful
-Don't over use side b (back slash) : it deal good damage but the recovery its quite slow. If you don't hit, its easy to punish
-Use counter but not spam it. Shulk counter is strong compared to any other character counter (IMO). Again if you miss, its really to punish

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Applying the tipper joke originally used by Marth players, I will suggest differently otherwise, as Shulk's tipper hit-box is weaker. Sooooo unless you're using Nair which is the exception in Shulk's move-set as its tipper deals more damage than the Monado Blade rather than the Beam, or moves to be spaced for safety purposes, don't opt to use the tipper of his hit-boxes. Basically the best advice I can give to you simply is pretend you're playing Roy from Melee.

Last edited:

TechieWidget

Smash Rookie
Some tips from my experiences playing as Shulk in Glory Mode:

-DO NOT EVER USE Side-B (Back Slash) to recover if you are far away from the stage. I have made that mistake a couple of times in Glory Mode, because I try to get Monado Art "Jump" when I cannot see myself outside the screen which makes me do Side-B by accident.-It's safer to use Back Slash at the center of the stage.-Monado "Jump" is very effective for getting back on the stage.
-Use Monado "Shield" when your damage counter is at 80% or above.-Be careful about using Vision on projectiles from a far distance. It can leave you opened to be punished.-His down-smash has excellent range.
-Do not overuse Vision. Alternate between using Vision and Dodging & Grabbing. It will make your opponents have a hard time predicting if you are going to grab or counter.-His back-Aerial has good knockback, and his neutral-Aerial has a lot of reach. Forward-Aerial is also good.
-The tip of his Monado blade is weak, so play like Roy in Melee.
-Use Up-B to prevent players from getting back from the stage at the edge. It pushes them further from the stage, but remember to press Up-B twice.

Last edited:

GreatKingBowserKoopa

Smash Apprentice
-Space with his normals, especially his aerials.
-Bair is a good edgeguarding tool that is good at killing.
-Remember how many times you need to press B to get your desired Monado Art. For example, if you want Buster, remember that all you need to do is press B 4 times.
-If you're close to your opponent and use Vision, hold forward (or the direction you're facing) to do a stronger attack with less range
-NEVER use back slash to recover. Only use it if the opponent is in a really punishable state and you can hit their backs.
-When off the stage, learn to quickly switch to the Jump Monado Art to recover.
-Dsmash is very punishable but has good range and can kill rollers.
-Learn to meteor smash with his Dair. There are two hits for this move, the first being the Monado itself and the second being the beam. If the first hit lands, it will likely connect to the second hit, which is a meteor smash. It only meteor smashes if sweetspotted, but by doing this method, it's easy to sweetspot hit.
-Avoid using Smash if you're opponent is at 100% and Shulk himself is also at around 100%, or else there is a chance that they can easily KO you.

JBix

Ka744
NNID
murderotica744
I find the best way to get better with a character is figure out what my character is bad at. Then figure out how you can cover those up with your strengths? What would you guys say is Shulks biggest weakness keeping him from being top tier?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
What would you guys say is Shulks biggest weakness keeping him from being top tier?
This isn't that huge or detriment to Shulk, but he does lack frame trapping when airborne, as all of his aerials have start-up & ending lag making it difficult to punish Airdodges with multiple aerials, unlike Sheik who can Fair or Bair multiple times, or Mario who can Bair or Uair multiple times. Again that's not really a big weakness keeping him from being top tier, but yeah

This isn't that huge or detriment to Shulk, but he does lack frame trapping when airborne, as all of his aerials have start-up & ending lag making it difficult to punish Airdodges with multiple aerials, unlike Sheik who can Fair or Bair multiple times, or Mario who can Bair or Uair multiple times. Again that's not really a big weakness keeping him from being top tier, but yeah
Nair is legit against air dodge but that's his only option. His frame traps are limited in mid air

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
Shulk's strength is his range, but the Monado deals more damage the closer in you are to your target. Play according to the situation, your current Art, and personal style, and remember that second best always beats a whiff.

Try to go for Forward Visions when you get a counter opportunity. They're significantly more powerful - and faster - than regular Vision counters. Not only that, they knock the opponent back behind Shulk, so a well-countered Fsmash could leave the foe vectoring to an early grave. (Did I mention they're fast?) Just tilt the stick left or right, depending on where the opponent is coming from. But keep in mind that Forward Vision only works on the ground, and lacks range and reach.

Speed and Jump are hard to master, but are your friends. Not much has better edge control than Jump Shulk, except maybe Jiggs and Jump Kirby. And Jiggs isn't as fast a jumper as Jump Shulk.

Buster sounds great, but if you can't follow Dunban's advice and dictate the pace of the battle, it'll only cost you big time compared to the aforementioned Jump and Speed that can get you out of very tight spots at times.

Shield might seem like a stock tank solution, but some people can make great use of it against heavy hitters - and remember the Rage mechanic - getting higher % up to 150 can lower the % of your kill moves, even if you're not Lucario.

Top Bottom