• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone glad that they didn't turn Ultimate into a Splatoon/ARMS-style game as service?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I slightly feared that they would turn Smash into the model that Nintendo has been using for Splatoon and ARMS: that for the one-time purchase, they release a bare-bones product to start with but it gets steady updates adding more and more content to the game. Capcom even has a similar model that they used for Street Fighter 5, Monster Hunter World, and Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.

I could see the value in it, as it would help drive hype over a steady period of time and ease up on developmental pressure to release the game soon and add as much characters as possible. But as MVCI showed, it wasn't going to work out for a crossover game where the fans want as much content in as possible.

With that in mind, I'm glad that Smash Ultimate is the way it has always been: a complete game at release.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm glad the game isn't going to launch barebones like Splatoon and ARMS.
But I'd actually be pleased if the game launched fully featured and got the same kind of roll out support that Splatoon got. I don't care for the idea of it being bare bones but the steady flow of new content kept the game from feeling stale for a while. If Smash got a few new items, stages, characters, and modes over the course of two to three years, it'd be kind of exciting.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm glad the game isn't going to launch barebones like Splatoon and ARMS.
But I'd actually be pleased if the game launched fully featured and got the same kind of roll out support that Splatoon got. I don't care for the idea of it being bare bones but the steady flow of new content kept the game from feeling stale for a while. If Smash got a few new items, stages, characters, and modes over the course of two to three years, it'd be kind of exciting.
I don't think that's really practical, though. Ultimate's developers have almost certainly chosen to spend the budget on the release rather than post release. Although recycling the Smash 4 models and animators certainly helped, they still have to code and balance the characters in the bew system.

Top Bottom