• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone Else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I've never played any of his games, but I'm just not really excited about him being a part of smash. He is just a little generic and not unique for me. Not saying they can make him fun to play cause i like fast characters and he seems fast.

So I'm not hating I'm just not overly excited.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I'm in the same camp. But hey he looks good. Not surprised. It's dat Sakurai magic. Seriously, "Doesn't have moveset potential" should count as offense on this site.

But yeah, interested but not excited.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm not on your boat.
Mac is going to be incredible, and he's going to kick your ***.
I respect your opinion though.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
The moment that trailer started I was jumping for joy! I only played 2 Punch Outs but I love Little Mac! Holy crap does he look exciting to play as!

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
No offence, but it really irritates me when people say that a character is 'boring' and 'generic' and then go on to say that they haven't played any of their games. The only reason you think that about him is because you haven't played his games, you're totally ignorant about him, you know nothing about him. You've taken one look at him, and decided he's boring and generic. The only thing boring and generic is your totally uninformed opinion, which is the same boring and generic opinion stated by all Little Mac detractors (most of which haven't played a Punch Out game either).

When it comes to characters I know nothing about I withhold judgement, at least until I've played their games and learnt a bit more about him. The last thing I'd do is make a thread criticising them, especially one with such shallow arguments. Elaborate. It's no good just saying he's boring and generic, give reasons why he is. Enlighten yourself by playing his games as well, you might then understand why he isn't boring and generic, why people love him so much.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Never played a game of his but I love what sakurai did with him!

Please I hope doc Luis talks when mac fights. He will be my next troll character because if that lol

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
What amuses is that some people on gamefaqs always claimed that the guy had no moveset potential. Seriously, "no moveset potential" is a really bad argument.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
We have turtles and robots and magic princesses and mannequins and pink puffballs and plumbers that shoot fireballs. It's nice to have a standard fighter.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Honestly I'm just glad they got Little Mac's announcement out of the way now. I wasn't rooting for him but I knew it was inevitable that he'd join the roster. If anything, I'll either like his play style or just leave him alone.
Still I'm dreading that this further confirms the E3 rumor that said Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Megaman would be announced. Now that mean Pacman and Miis might get in which are my two least wanted characters...

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
No offence, but it really irritates me when people say that a character is 'boring' and 'generic' and then go on to say that they haven't played any of their games. The only reason you think that about him is because you haven't played his games, you're totally ignorant about him, you know nothing about him. You've taken one look at him, and decided he's boring and generic. The only thing boring and generic is your totally uninformed opinion, which is the same boring and generic opinion stated by all Little Mac detractors (most of which haven't played a Punch Out game either).

When it comes to characters I know nothing about I withhold judgement, at least until I've played their games and learnt a bit more about him. The last thing I'd do is make a thread criticising them, especially one with such shallow arguments. Elaborate. It's no good just saying he's boring and generic, give reasons why he is. Enlighten yourself by playing his games as well, you might then understand why he isn't boring and generic, why people love him so much.
Your the only person to jump on me like I bashed him. I wasn't trying to I just wanted a different character someone more I'm familiar with. They did do something interesting with him, he fast and quick which is what I like. He may be unique in his own way but not in his design, he's just a boxer, which I don't have a problem with I just wanted to see someone different announced.

Honestly I'm just glad they got Little Mac's announcement out of the way now. I wasn't rooting for him but I knew it was inevitable that he'd join the roster. If anything, I'll either like his play style or just leave him alone.
Still I'm dreading that this further confirms the E3 rumor that said Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Megaman would be announced. Now that mean Pacman and Miis might get in which are my two least wanted characters...
Yep that's how I feel, I especially don't want miis. I'm hoping for another DK rep or at least any metroid rep, whether it's Ridley or dark samus I don't care. Just not a mii

Last edited by a moderator:

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I think he's one of the more unique characters moveset wise. It's just that his moves feel more defined in the fighting style he represents. Oddly enough, Smash has had no real "fighting" styled characters. He can get away with Little Mac because he's unique to the series, hence why Snake wasn't chastised in Brawl.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Yep that's how I feel, I especially don't want miis. I'm hoping for another DK rep or at least any metroid rep, whether it's Ridley or dark samus I don't care. Just not a mii
Agreed. I feel Wii Fit Trainer and Villager already represent whatever Mii could offer so we REALLY just don't need them.
For a DK rep, I hope they do the DIddy/Dixie tag team only to have Diddy's Down Special be a switch move instead of the stupid banana toss.

King Orfut

Smash Cadet

Preach on brother !! Preach on !!

Anyway, I was sitting in a bar when I checked my phone and saw he was confirmed for Smash.. I smiled ear to ear... WELCOME LITTLE MAC TO THE STAGE OF KINGS !!!

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Pacman in a Smash game would be awesome.

Miis? Ew no no no no no no no no

Either way, this calling Mac generic is kind of lol considering how unique each moveset is in this game. But w/e, opinions.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
never played punch out, but i am excited that his fans are excited to have him in and he looks terrific.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
I only ever played Punch Out on Wii when I rented it a few years ago but I'm totally gonna try and buy it sometime now

Also Little Mac looks very cool in this game

Morbi

Scavenger
I have never touched a Punch Out title, but I am completely and utterly ecstatic in regards to his inclusion. He was my most wanted newcomer as I really wanted Smash to include someone who actually knows how to fight. He is just my style, I am a huge fan of his boxing, so I am not disappointed in the slightest; I am also really pleased with his aesthetics.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Your the only person to jump on me like I bashed him. I wasn't trying to I just wanted a different character someone more I'm familiar with. They did do something interesting with him, he fast and quick which is what I like. He may be unique in his own way but not in his design, he's just a boxer, which I don't have a problem with I just wanted to see someone different announced.

It's not jumping on you, I'm just stating that I dislike your thought process, I dislike how you've came to the conclusion you came to. What you're saying can be applied to any character. Someone who's never played Zelda could call Link a generic Peter Pan rip-off. Someone who's never played Metroid could call Samus a generic guy in robot armour. Someone who's never played Mario/Yoshi could call Yoshi a generic cartoon dinosaur. Of course most of us would agree all of that is complete nonsense. As is 'Little Mac is just a boxer'. Like I said, try playing Punch Out, you may then come round to opinion that us fans of the character have, that Little Mac is more than 'just a boxer'. The opinion you're stating is not really a opinion you're in a position to make, that's the only problem I have, not that you have an opinion that contradicts mine.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
How have people NOT played Punch-Out? :o

Anyway, Little Mac was my most wanted character. I am quite pleased.

Generic is simply a matter of opinion. I could call Marth or Capt. Falcon generic, whereas at least Mac has the power bar gimmic.

Personally, I think Mac looks pretty sweet.

Morbi

Scavenger
How have people NOT played Punch-Out? :o

Anyway, Little Mac was my most wanted character. I am quite pleased.

Generic is simply a matter of opinion. I could call Marth or Capt. Falcon generic, whereas at least Mac has the power bar gimmic.

Personally, I think Mac looks pretty sweet.
I am interested, but after seeing some game-play and considering that we currently live in a modern era, I can't bring myself to purchase the game. I watched the game, but the content doesn't justify a purchase in my opinion. It isn't my type of game.

Little Mac was my most wanted character as well, I was honestly starting to doubt his inclusion. I mean, the only sufficient evidence for him was the allusion to Punch Out via stage and his Smash relevance (although that could have been detrimental if Sakurai wanted to keep him as an assist trophy).

Yes, the entire notion of generic is entirely subjective. I find some of the alleged unique characters quite generic (ROB, Game and Watch).

His design is one of my favorite things about him. Not just his aesthetics of course, the tone of his character. I really like the face he makes, how he moves, how he punches, it is all ingenious.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Yes, the entire notion of generic is entirely subjective. I find some of the alleged unique characters quite generic (ROB, Game and Watch).
G&W being so generic is what's so appealing about him since he comes from an era that thrived off of simplicity. I agree about ROB though he's always been very "meh" to me... Plenty of other WTF characters I'd rather see over him, but I respect his history with Nintendo at least.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I agree that Little Mac is a very "mundane" character aesthetically, but I disagree with the assertion that he's "generic." The fact that Little Mac is a regular person whose moveset consists entirely of punches is exactly what sets him apart from the rest of the Smash Bros. cast. He doesn't have fireballs or lightning bolts or loads of weapons, but that's what makes him appealing to people in the first place.

Besides that, even if he is boring aesthetically, how does that affect his gameplay in any way? Little Mac has done plenty to set himself apart from the rest of the cast. His playstyle is completely different from any other fighter, with maybe some vague similarities to Captain Falcon in that they're both purely melee, "up close and personal"-type characters. Not every character has to be the Ice Climbers to bring something unique to the table.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
The only punch-out I've played is Doc Louis' Punch Out from Club Nintendo. It was ok I guess... When I saw the trailer for Little Mac half of me thinks "Ok, he looks pretty cool" and the other half says "Oh gosh... I would never main him but EVERYONE else is going to... I really don't like him... he will definitely be the new Metaknight/Fox as far as character choices go...great..." Yea so I'm kinda like jeez everyone is going to love this guy and I hate it...

Morbi

Scavenger
I agree that Little Mac is a very "mundane" character aesthetically, but I disagree with the assertion that he's "generic." The fact that Little Mac is a regular person whose moveset consists entirely of punches is exactly what sets him apart from the rest of the Smash Bros. cast. He doesn't have fireballs or lightning bolts or loads of weapons, but that's what makes him appealing to people in the first place.

Besides that, even if he is boring aesthetically, how does that affect his gameplay in any way? Little Mac has done plenty to set himself apart from the rest of the cast. His playstyle is completely different from any other fighter, with maybe some vague similarities to Captain Falcon in that they're both purely melee, "up close and personal"-type characters. Not every character has to be the Ice Climbers to bring something unique to the table.
I wouldn't proclaim him as boring aesthetically, his facial expressions are fairly detailed, in my personal opinion; he is the best at conveying emotion. He doesn't need to be exaggerated like Dedede to have an expressive face. He is also bulky, only Captain Falcon has a similar body-type, but they are entirely different looking. He is very diverse from the rest of the cast, no one is reminiscent of him (aside from maybe Captain Falcon, but again, if you looked at a side-by-side photograph, I guarantee that you wouldn't assert them as equivalent). Green boxing gloves really set him apart from what most would interpret as a generic boxer. I also enjoy the diversity his skin tone brings to the roster as well, I don't want to make it about race or whatever, but it is nice to not see someone pale like a vampire for once.

Also... dat hair is stylish.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I meant that more as in even if you do think he's boring. Like I said I love having a more "mundane" character compared to all the other superhumans of the cast, but even if you're not a fan of that aspect of him, to claim that his playstyle has nothing unique to offer to the game is honestly pretty ignorant

Morbi

Scavenger
I meant that more as in even if you do think he's boring. Like I said I love having a more "mundane" character compared to all the other superhumans of the cast, but even if you're not a fan of that aspect of him, to claim that his playstyle has nothing unique to offer to the game is honestly pretty ignorant
I also love having a more mundane character, one gets tired of all the children, animals, and women. Smash needs a real man. I also enjoy his boxing orientated move-set as most characters on the roster do not actually fight, their move-sets are comprised of "unique" moves and that dictates their play-style. I always wanted a character conceived in the ring; no projectiles, no absurd attacks, no attacks that are attacks just because... a character that actually fights. That makes Little Mac one of the most unique characters in the game. He also has the KO system as well, so that aids his uniqueness.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I never said that his play style wasn't unique, cause Honestly, his move set seems pretty good and fast, It's just he seems so normal which like some of you said, we do need, the worst would be a mii.. The more I watch the trailer the more stupid I feel for making this topic. When I first saw he was announced I was like wowwww and disappointed, I've grown a little to like him.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I dunno why some people think that he looks generic aesthetically, if you're not talking about his character design.
I think he's pretty hype to watch.

But hey what do I know.

WonderSmash

Smash Apprentice
Then I recommend picking up a copy of Punch-Out for the Wii. It's a great game will all the charm and challenge of the original NES version.

My excitement over his inclusion can only be eclipsed by the inclusion of Wonder Red

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Something I realized recently, Mac has always been the underdog in the Punch-Out games. His opponents are always larger and most of them cheat, and use moves and tactics that are nowhere near legal in boxing. He was even forced to fight a certain gorilla in an exhibition match. And yet, Mac always prevails, and does so fairly.

So really, the genius of seeing Little Mac fight dinosaurs and swordsmen and robots and wizards and bounty hunters with his mere fists oddly fits his character because he isn't just a boxer; Mac is characteristically the underdog.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom