• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else think of Falco as nerfed? No flames Plz

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I mained him in melee. He had it all. Best approach, instant 0 to 60 combos, enough kill moves to go around, a spike and a meteor smash.
Plus he was a fast faller.

Now....
- He does not have the same combo potential
- He does not have as much reliable kill moves.
- Not a fastfaller
- He's s*** slow

Maybe it's just me, but I feel Falco's lost the appeal he had in Melee.

No flames plz, I haven't said anything to offend you.

Drakuaza

Smash Apprentice
if hes slow, the other characters got even slower too, and no combo? dude, falco can still kill at 50-60% like before, spiking. however falco needs to be worked out hes not a character that its all set to fight.
no reliable kill moves? bair, dair, fsmash.

Also remember, on brawl if you use alot a single move, it will get weak. remember that, combos dont consist on an abuse of fsmashes.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I agree Melee Falco was more fun than Brawl Falco, but don't downsize him. He is still above average and he might be the best spacie. He has good KO potential, a nasty spike when performed right, and his awful recovery was massivley buffed.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
if hes slow, the other characters got even slower too, and no combo? dude, falco can still kill at 50-60% like before, spiking. however falco needs to be worked out hes not a character that its all set to fight.
no reliable kill moves? bair, dair, fsmash.

Also remember, on brawl if you use alot a single move, it will get weak. remember that, combos dont consist on an abuse of fsmashes.
I dont abuse FSmashes. That's something a scrub would do.

I didn't say he didn't have any reliable kill moves. I said he didn't have as much as before.

I meant slow as in running speed

Drakuaza

Smash Apprentice
I dont abuse FSmashes. That's something a scrub would do.

I didn't say he didn't have any reliable kill moves. I said he didn't have as much as before.

I meant slow as in running speed
In slow i meant speed too, all characters got slowed down. even fox, he is so slow now compared to melee. so all are still equal.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I agree Melee Falco was more fun than Brawl Falco, but don't downsize him. He is still above average and he might be the best spacie. He has good KO potential, a nasty spike when performed right, and his awful recovery was massivley buffed.
IDK about him being the best of the spacies. Wolf seems to have taken that spot.
Which reminds me, Wolf is the closest character to melee falco I have experienced.

In slow i meant speed too, all characters got slowed down. even fox, he is so slow now compared to melee. so all are still equal.
Yes, but his speed is still topped by a good percentage of characters.
In melee, WD'ing solved the speed issue and allowed Falco to keep up with Fox.

Drakuaza

Smash Apprentice
IDK about him being the best of the spacies. Wolf seems to have taken that spot.
Which reminds me, Wolf is the closest character to melee falco I have experienced.

Yes, but his speed is still topped by a good percentage of characters.

why can people still dont stop complaining or looking back at melee for wd and such, they are 2 different games, the game has what, 2 weeks in americas, and 1 on japan, cmon, still are long way to go, so for now just use the charecter you like the most, but if you really want to own people instead of having fun, wait until there is a tier list for you to chose the top one.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
why can people still dont stop complaining or looking back at melee for wd and such, they are 2 different games, the game has what, 2 weeks in americas, and 1 on japan, cmon, still are long way to go, so for now just use the charecter you like the most, but if you really want to own people instead of having fun, wait until there is a tier list for you to chose the top one.
OMG....I wasn't doing that at all.
-I said Falco is slow in brawl.
-You said all the other characters were also slowed down, so it it didn't matter
-I said Falco was still slower than alot of the characters, and in melee this didn't matter because of WD. My point was that he had nothing to overcome his speed this time around.

Just because I used the term Wavedash here in the Brawl boards doesn't mean I'm one of those ppl who despise Brawl and want a Melee 2.0. I for one, am actually glad WD is gone.

Drakuaza

Smash Apprentice
then get used to falco, what do you think how i was when i first used him? i was like **** no wavedash now how im supposed to move as fast as before, but i got over it and i just dont care there isnt wd

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
then get used to falco, what do you think how i was when i first used him? i was like **** no wavedash now how im supposed to move as fast as before, but i got over it and i just dont care there isnt wd
This exactly my point from the OP.
I was asking if anyone else had the impression of Falco being nerfed.
I was not complaing at all.

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
I mained him in melee. He had it all. Best approach, instant 0 to 60 combos, enough kill moves to go around, a spike and a meteor smash.

Now....
- Not a fastfaller
- He's s*** slow

Falco has lost combo potential, just as every character has, and to a massive extent. Even so, in Brawl, his A moves allow combos that the majority of the characters are not capable of. Dair > AAA > Shine is one example, and his Nair has virtually no landing lag, so it's also a setup. Falco can also Chaingrab now. His lasers are just as if not more so as spammable as they were in Melee. His recovery has been upgraded and he's extremely hard to edgegaurd now.

You have to adjust to the fact that Brawl Falco is a defensive, spamming, and spacing game. It might not be as appealing to you, in which case just find another character.

And I would go as far as to say Falco is potentially the best spacie.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
You have to adjust to the fact that Brawl Falco is a defensive, spamming, and spacing game. It might not be as appealing to you, in which case just find another character.
Meh, I guess I'm just used to the old aggressive Falco

dude falco can jc shine how is he bad
What the hell? Where did that come from? Sonic can JC a Spindash, but he's clearly not good.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
No not really you're kind of wrong here.

His fastfalling and constant jumping around made him fast and even then he wasn't as fast as fox or near it except in play speed, not running.

Refrain from posting unless you know what you are posting about please.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I didn't literally mean "keep up with fox".
I meant he wouldn't be outclassed by Fox's speed. He could still hold his own against a Fox.
Besides, running speed isn't a big factor. I was just adding it to the list of negatives.

MyRevenge.

Smash Journeyman
I think he'll still be around the same area on the tier list for brawl,
Not really nerfed...
And how can the removal of an AT that all characters can do nerf a specific character... not much sense there...

ellelaby

Smash Apprentice
I think he'll still be around the same area on the tier list for brawl,
Not really nerfed...
And how can the removal of an AT that all characters can do nerf a specific character... not much sense there...
Agreed.

Falco is nothing like the Melee Falco. Hes a new dude and hes awesome. People just have to get the hang of him. When I first picked him up, for many matches I found him a bad player. I kept trying and try and I slowly started picking up with him. But I was still losing to my brother. Eventually I got better and then it got to the stage where I realised that Falcos game is a whole new thing.

Vael

Smash Rookie
I actually like this Falco very much. I am somewhat upset that his F-smash is terribly slow, but other than that, I think that he is very good.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
I didn't like Falco for the first few matches I used him, but then I started loving him. He is a beast in agressive playing, defensive playing, and camping. If you master his SH dair and off-edge dair, you will be a god with falco. His physics are like... perfect for me.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman

Now....
- Not a fastfaller
- He's s*** slow

No flames plz, I haven't said anything to offend you.

I don't really feel they nerfed him, just dulled down his awesome a bit. He doesnt fast fall like he used to, but then again, no character really falls all that fast anymore. I still feel he has lots of combos (tilt ^A, down grab, etc.), and yeah your right his spike isn't as reliable as it used to be. On his speed, I'm not that worried, cause his dodges are fast, he has a reflector, and alot of times you can be patient with him since he can spam lasers and make people come to you.

Not nerfed like Samus, just buffed.

Finaite

Smash Rookie
I think I like this falco better than the melee falco. He's much more reliable as a character to me than the old falco.
I love comboing with him now, his short hop is deadly for approach and if you can time it right, short hop forward then forward a is a good combo to catch people offguard.

I think Falco was buffed in this version, but in different ways. His fsmash is only good if you want to catch them offguard or kill them if your opponent made a move in which has delay, so they can't run anywhere, for instance Marth's Fsmash, etc. It's just a game of strategy with Falco now.

ellelaby

Smash Apprentice
Falco takes heaps of practice.

I don't know if its just me but I used to play him (even just a few days ago) and all my fights were quite even against most of the characters.

But now I've been hopping into training mode. And practicing my chain grabs and overall my spiking techniques and then firefoxing back into the stage. I've also practiced dropping off the stage, one jump (facing in opposite direction to opponent) and then bairing them around. I also practiced against a running away cpu and a continuous jumping cpu. Although I already did these things, I didn't do them well. And just two hours or so, maybe more (in the last 24 hrs) not only have I learnt many new things (well upgrades of things I already knew) I seem to be better at knowing what to do in situations, my reflexes are better (with Falco) and I'm just playing better. Training mode really makes things come together. And rather than practicing in Group-Brawl all the time I'll spend majority of my time in Training mode.

In fact, I used to just concentrate on my ground game, getting heaps of rolls in, grabs (chain), AAAs a couple of shorthops + fair here and there (which werent really beneficial because I just realised they only land 2% most of the time against a good opponent). But now, as my game is coming together, I'm shorthopping and bairing, dairing much more precisely and something really good also happened - I've picked up the technique of fsmashing beautifully. Almost all my FSmashes work, especially around rolls, pretty much whenever I can punish and after AAAs too (sometimes with a shorthop first). I've also realised that when my opponent is on high % and they are really coming at me aggressively, and I want to space them, I use shine to do it. Everyone knows this is a good technique, yeah? But a good thing to note, if you dont already, is that a lot of the time the shine TRIPS your opponent. A quick little run and one FSmash can send your opponent flying out of the stage.

Mastering Falco will take a long time, but to become a good Falco, people need to use all his techniques. They need to be good in the air, knowing went to use his dairs, bairs uairs, know how to chain grab very good know how to edge-guard, ledge-guard well and you know, all the other stuff I mentioned. Everything has to come together in the one game and I realise its a lot. I really think that Falco hasnt been too successful yet because when people get into the mood of being very aerial they eventually become very easy to beat as the opponent gets used to their next move. People have to get into the habit of using everything he has, and in every situation, the best techniques for the job.

Top Bottom