• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else testing out crouch-cancelling in Smash 4? Reduces knock back like in 64.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
I've found that crouching before being hit reduces knock back dramatically.

Testing Little Mac's KO Punch
Mario using down-left DI/VI: Can survive until 32%
Mario crouching before being hit: Can survive until 44%

Testing Little Mac's uncharged Straight Lunge
Mario using down-right DI: Can survive until 92%
Mario crouching before hit: Can survive up to 117%

As far as I can tell though attacking with a down-tilt or down smash does not give you the same bonuses as normal crouching. So any instance where you would crouch you could just shield instead?
Perhaps someone else can find useful situations for this.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
This might also just be because you're holding the stick down, which means you're vectoring downwards which can help you to survive.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
This might also just be because you're holding the stick down, which means you're vectoring downwards which can help you to survive.
That wouldn't work with the straight lunge though. (I believe it has horizontal knockback) Vectoring downwards with Straight Lunge doesn't reduce the knockback.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
With the straight lunge it deals horizontal knock back and thus the 'ideal' DI/VI would be the opposite side. Holding down does not effect knock back as dramatically as crouching before the hit. I've tested both several times.

Top Bottom