• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else hesitant to use alternate costumes?

Alternates+3DS Lower Screen Display=?

• Total voters

Foosedogg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyhater123
I like alts. I'm just scared to use them. I only use Female Robin, because with a character like Sheik where I can't tell one alt from the other (1 and 3), I'm scared to change it, because I want to have the default alternates as my main set until the Wii U where I can see the differences more clearly.

Waverunner

Smash Cadet
The alts I've been using (Banjo and Kazooie DHD, any of Bowser Jr's Skins, Fierce Deity Link, Dr. Mario, Pink DK, Gold Falcon, etc) are already different enough that I have no problem getting confused between them on the 3DS. I guess it just depends on the costume you like.

Chocobo Link

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4253-3960-6377
This already happened to me with Marth. Can't tell which alt. is the original color

JetSetWoodo

Smash Rookie
NNID
JetSetWoodo
3DS FC
0146-9264-6465
I kind of agree, there are some characters who have very similar alternates, but I don't let it stop me. Playing online, it's pretty unlikely you'll run into a match where you and your opponent(s) pick the same character with a similar looking alt. It's possible, sure, but not a certainty.

I've always been a fan of the more flamboyant alts, like Falcon's pink outfit and ZSS's Zero Mission bonus outfit (for obvious reasons =P)

BBC7

Smash Ace
I hate Ganondorf's colors for this reason. Luckily, I main Mega Man who has very distinct colors so this is not too much of an issue for me.

Foosedogg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyhater123
I hate Ganondorf's colors for this reason. Luckily, I main Mega Man who has very distinct colors so this is not too much of an issue for me.
Yea. His third alt looks nearly exactly the same as the first, same with good old Sheik.

This already happened to me with Marth. Can't tell which alt. is the original color
It's the one before the red color, so find that one and hit Y.

Anyway, some of the similar colors (especially with Ganondorf and Lucario) are ridiculous. The team should have stopped at 5 or 6 color swaps instead of resorting to tints to fill out 8 colors.

The best and most distinct color swaps are on the characters who are mostly just one color anyway, like Kirby and Yoshi.

Last edited:

JetSetWoodo

Smash Rookie
NNID
JetSetWoodo
3DS FC
0146-9264-6465
@ DougX DougX On that note, I love Dr. Mario's black coat alt. I always think he should be wearing shades with that costume.

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
Oh god, it's too late, I already lost all of them...

Ah, but no, more seriously, I don't actually care too much about that... though, I do wish you could at least see the full character when selecting, to see the differences better...

Top Bottom