• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else have terrible luck when it comes to picking a main?

Kinsei

Smash Rookie
Sorry if this isn't the right forum, but I figured it belonged here as it is partially related to Smash 3DS.

In 64 I mained Kirby. In Melee he was nerfed hard.

In Melee I alternated between Sheik and Mewtwo. In Brawl Shiek was nerfed and Mewtwo was cut.

In Brawl I mained Wolf. In Smash 4 he has been cut.

It seems like I'm cursed when i comes to Smash.

Roycethewaffle

Smash Rookie
Sorry if this isn't the right forum, but I figured it belonged here as it is partially related to Smash 3DS.

In 64 I mained Kirby. In Melee he was nerfed hard.

In Melee I alternated between Sheik and Mewtwo. In Brawl Shiek was nerfed and Mewtwo was cut.

In Brawl I mained Wolf. In Smash 4 he has been cut.

It seems like I'm cursed when i comes to Smash.
Sheik is good now though, right?

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
In Melee I mained both Marth and Roy... and we know how that turned out...

In Brawl I mained Pit and Pokemon Trainer... and we know how that turned out...

In Project M I mained Roy and Ivysaur... and... it doesn't need to be said.

That said, I'm glad that I still have Marth and Pit (and Lucario) and that they both got clones, but I'm going to miss my old mains like heck.

Edit: But on a positive note, I've got a great selection to choose from with Robin, Pit, Pittoo, Lucina, Marth, Lucario, Charizard, Palutena, Rosalina and Luma, and Shulk!

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I think my opinion is basically worthless since the only official Smash game I actively played was Brawl, but that said, I feel you on Wolf. He will be missed.

Last edited:

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
You might have had some slight bad luck with it, but there is hope. Sheik seems to have gotten a few improvements. Kirby was also buffed decently in Brawl and has some more improvements in the new game.

Also R.I.P. Wolf.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Seeing how every icon under my name shows Link, this might sound kinda stupid and hypocrital.

But I think it's the best to start from scratch and find a new main in each and every game.

So far, every Smash has been different, so it's only natural to expect your performance with your main to change even if they haven't be changed in the slightest.

So even if your main is still there and as good as before, I think it's a good idea to experiment with new options and try to find a new main anyway.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Melee -> Dorf
Brawl -> Snake

Not the only one.

But hey just means I get to relearn everything from the ground up. Kinda looking forward to that.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I think my opinion is basically worthless since the only official Smash game I actively played was Brawl, but that said, I feel you on Wolf. He will be missed.
Actually, judging by your mains section, your other main isn't holding up too well either... I miss Roy too, but at least I have Lucina.

Hmm... I wonder when the mains for SSB4 will activate on our profiles? Midnight EST? The second the game is released in Japan? Next week?

Batavus

Smash Rookie
Kinda, but I don't really mind. I've been always been pretty loyal to my favourite characters throughout all Smash titles, regardless how good or bad they were ( Kirby, Yoshi, Bowser etc.). Though I'm also fortunate enough to find more characters that appeal to me in every new Smash title, so my main roster is constantly expanding.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
my main was roy then ike, so im in the clear with ike but im probably gonna try others first to see if i like anyone, really leaning toward robin or mac right now

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Seeing how every icon under my name shows Link, this might sound kinda stupid and hypocrital.

But I think it's the best to start from scratch and find a new main in each and every game.

So far, every Smash has been different, so it's only natural to expect your performance with your main to change even if they haven't be changed in the slightest.

So even if your main is still there and as good as before, I think it's a good idea to experiment with new options and try to find a new main anyway.
You're 100% right. It'd feel too weird/repetitive to only play as one character for three/four games. I worked from the ground up in Brawl. Only Marth maintained a high position among my characters as I picked up newbies like Pit, Lucario, and Pokemon Trainer, and all three of them are better than Marth when I use them.

However, I'm struggling in this one. Whereas in Melee I had no attachments to my characters, I am super attached to my old mains on an emotion level. Charizard represents my fallen Brawl main. Pit is one of my favorite video game characters. However, the new characters look great and I wouldn't mind putting one of them up now. My guess is that it's probably going to be Robin who takes the helm (or has to contend with Pit). However, there's no telling. As much as I love Pit, I can't stand him in Project M and avoid him- it's heartbreaking and I hope that this doesn't happen with any of the characters in Smash 4.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
Melee: Dr. Mario (cut), Mr. Game & Watch (nerfed)
Brawl: Lucario (back and better, yay!)
Smash 4: ??? (good luck to me!)

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Melee Mains: Bowser, Doc, Mewtwo
Brawl Mains: Bowser, Wolf, Snake
PM Mains: Bowser, Ivysaur

Luckily I can always rely on the big boy to be back.

Last edited:

Rayze Darr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rayze_Darr
3DS FC
5327-0902-3469
I'm going to begin by playing as my old mains. Play as Olimar until I unlock Falco, then Falco until I unlock Ness. Or, you know, the last two in reverse order if that happens to be the case. I do feel a bit of the main loss, though, as my secondary main in Brawl was Ivysaur. Why they kept the worst of Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon is beyond me.

As for new mains? I'm excited to try out the new Dedede. Gordo Toss looks like an amazingly strong alternative to his old Waddle Dee Toss. I'm going to spend so much time trying to master Duck Hunt, too, if only because of their Banjo-Kazooie alternate skin.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I mained Samus in 64 and she was buffed in Melee. I mained Samus in Melee and she was nerfed in Brawl. I mained Samus in Brawl until I couldn't any longer and then mained ZSS, who was then buffed hard in Smash 4.
I'd say I've been fairly lucky, really. :p

Rayze Darr

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rayze_Darr
3DS FC
5327-0902-3469
I've lost the Doc (he's back so it's ok), Young Link, Snake an Wolf so far. I also mained Link in 64.

Good knight sweet prince
You actually mained Young Link? Was it more of a novelty thing, or were you actually pretty good with him?

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Im in the same situation, except with Lucas. -__- At least i can always count on Bowser to return, or any of the Original 12(except maybe Ness, i think this time he only got in cause 64 status and EB VC, otherwise i think he wouldve been cut along with Lucas).

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Let's see:

64: I was too young to even care or remember since all I did was screw around in that game, but I guess Link? Oh, I wonder who was cut from this game...

Melee: Link, Fox, and Falco. No casualties there.

Brawl: Snake? Snake?! SNAAAKE!!! And... Star Wolf down.

Sm4sh: Hey, at least Ike's back and we have Lucy and Rosy! :love:

So, not bad "luck" since I never got into maining characters.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Other than preferring Kirby purely because I like his character I never really had a main.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Mained Link in 64.

Mained Roy in melee, but he unfortunately was not in Brawl due to time constraints..still my favorite smash bros character.

Mained Lucas/Marth in Brawl, and well Lucas is cut and Marth was nerfed...

Yea I guess my luck is pretty bad.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I had some trouble with Samus being nerfed, but it seems like Yoshi and Game & Watch get better with each game

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I'm pretty happy my main man has been there all the way through so far. I was getting kinda worried at first for this game, considering Ness hasn't even been mentioned or hinted until the leaks, but Smash has this thing with always making sure the original veterans come back, so here's hoping that Ness is iconic enough to the series to stay.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
64- Ness, pikachu, kirby
melee- Ice climbers, pikachu, ness, roy, mr g&w
Brawl- Ice climbers, pikachu, ness, g&w, lucas, pokemon trainer

So a lot of my mains are gone.

Raijinken

Smash Master
As for picking, it's always my preferred Fire Emblem representative (except in Smash64, for obvious reasons, where I go with CFalc). As for actually sticking with them, eh, there are so many characters, I get tired of just playing a few and normally play most of the roster at least a bit.

Redcard

Smash Cadet
I'm ashamed to say that I prefer the hipster-tier characters, and I'll pick a main before the game comes out, and they turn out being overused to oblivion (MK in Brawl, hoping to play Bowser Jr. but I do see a lot of people liking the Koopalings).

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
As for my own experiences with main choices... Considering I've always primarily used Luigi, I haven't been too unlucky as he hasn't necessarily been too nerfed in any intentional way and just keeps getting primarily buffs in each new game. Dr. Mario was pretty good in Melee and he comes back for 4 being kept relatively intact. Robin also has some good potential from what I've heard. Those are the main three I plan to main in the new game. I'll also give other characters some play time such as Ike and Marth in the Roy costume that lacks red hair.

I think I'm fine. c:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I always main villains, and the villains have always been slow and clunky so I guess ya could say thats bad luck.

I can pretty much tell which character's gonna be op from the start.
The characters who can deal heavy damage with one move seem OP at first, but actually pale in comparison to smaller speedier characters with complicated playstyles. All my friends swear that Ike and Ganon are overpowered and never let me play as them because I can usually one hit them off the edge and follow up with a meteor smash KO.
That being said, complicated characters just aren't as fun to play as.
Although I obsess over learning advanced techniques and perfecting them, I never go by tier lists because my inner rebel refuses to abide by the man's tier list. Also, ya never know which character will suddenly rise to the top like Yoshi, and characters like Ice Climbers are just infinitely too complicated and random to rely on.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Not mains, but I seem to have lousy luck with secondaries.

64: Kirby
Melee: Peach, Ganondorf, Mewtwo
Brawl: Wolf

And 2/3 of my PM trio (Marth, Mewtwo, Wolf) are cut and the third looks like he's been nerfed.

Mishudo

Smash Journeyman
Lol I mained Lucas, Snake, and Wolf in brawl so I definitely got murked in this transition

ShyGuy16

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Juliansg16
3DS FC
0516-7704-2697
I have an interesting case. Ness is always my main, so I got that goin for me, which is nice. I always freak out when a new Smash is on the way and he isn't announced until the game is almost out. Smash 4 was no exception. XD

But every time a new Smash comes out, I lose at least one secondary. I lost Dr. Mario and Mewtwo for Brawl, and now Lucas is packing up in time for this one. But for every secondary I lose, I get at least two new ones apparently. So I'm pretty darn thankful for what I got, and I feel bad for those that gotta go without this time...

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Actually, I faired pretty across 64, Melee & Brawl. It's the transition to SSB4 that's hurting me.

In 64, I only really played Link. Almost exclusively.
In Melee, I started out this way, but panned out into Ganondorf, Zelda, Ice Climbers, Marth, Peach, and Pichu (yup).
In Brawl, I played like half of the cast. The main ones being Ganondorf, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Pokemon Trainer (specifically, Squirtle, then Ivysaur), Lucas, Zelda, Ice Climbers & Olimar. And I had tons of secondary characters, which included Snake.

So with Brawl, I only lost Pichu, but I knew it was coming. And I liked Dr. Mario, but didn't play him a whole lot. I didn't mourn their losses, though.

Now, I lose Lucas, Ice Climbers, Squirtle, Ivysaur & Snake. And I -loved- Lucas, Ice Climbers & PT's non-Charizard Pokemon. So this was a devastating blow, even though I saw it all coming (except for Ice Climbers until the leak).

I think most of the newcomers will more or less make up for their losses, but I don't know that I'll ever truly get over losing Ice Climbers.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
My bad luck is Ness is trash in every single game. :happysheep: (Despite what my profile says I main Ness in all the games. It's just I play different characters because Ness is so bad. Particularly in Melee)
I will really miss Lucas, though...

Last edited:
Top Bottom