• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else getting frustrated with the time limit?

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
Find myself going into sudden death really often and it's getting annoying. If there's even the smallest bit of lag, sudden death or my loss is almost guaranteed.

I feel like time limits screw over DHD and make people stall out the time if you decide to zone like DHD is supposed to. Then I start playing aggressively and it ends up being a disaster.

What do you DHD mains think about this

Grimmdark2140

Smash Rookie
Never had that happen sudden death or been stalled out happen to me. Though lag does suck and I have died and lost matches because of it. Lag ruins reactions to attack. I feel more comfortable with 3 stock, 8 minutes as a standard match. Though to be honest I don't like online because I can only play on FD and most of my matches have lagged. I hate the stage but I tolerate it because of DH. I like battlefield more and play better on it.

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
Not a DHD main, but after maining people as campy ROB and Rosa i'm still reading this as "I want people have to put up with my extreme camping and cheesy gameplay for more than nintendo deemed necessary" B1

Granted, I'm not experienced as or against DHD, but the time limit is there as a reminder that you should be trying to kill your opponent rather than alternating b/side b for five minutes against people that have bad approaches. From what I've seen DHD isn't even that bad in close combat, so I'd imagine getting a kill with one his smashes or stronger aerials once you've built up a nice percentage shouldn't be that hard.

Jrugs

Smash Ace
  • I personally think for glory didn't consider people just not approaching (i.e. shiek just charging needles all day, or god mode rolling), and abusing the time mechanic to where your percentage and work doesn't matter. However when I go to time I personally just wait till the bombs come. DH has the mobility, traps and the ledge game to avoid them and play around them.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
DHD is the only character I've forced the time limit into Sudden death with

Didn't do it on purpose

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
...the time limit is there as a reminder that you should be trying to kill your opponent rather than alternating b/side b for five minutes against people that have bad approaches. From what I've seen DHD isn't even that bad in close combat, so I'd imagine getting a kill with one his smashes or stronger aerials once you've built up a nice percentage shouldn't be that hard.
This. The title of this thread alone makes me believe that you might want to stop spamming. Every time I use DHD, I can see the opponent expecting spam. I feel 'zoners' are giving DHD a bad name, and is part of the reason I'm currently playing him. I feel it's doing him an injustice. 9/10 DHD's follow the same formula, it's boring and needs more variety

HorribleGhost

Smash Rookie
This. The title of this thread alone makes me believe that you might want to stop spamming. Every time I use DHD, I can see the opponent expecting spam. I feel 'zoners' are giving DHD a bad name, and is part of the reason I'm currently playing him. I feel it's doing him an injustice. 9/10 DHD's follow the same formula, it's boring and needs more variety
Yeah, watching replays online I see DHDs either spacing ineffectively or rushing in like they're Lil' Mac and getting wrecked. I see a lot of people switch between these 2 strategies when one isn't working and the other usually ends up failing too XD

I've been having the most luck by playing sort of a mid-range high pressure game. Keeping cans out and positioned well the entire time, throwing frisbees whenever there's an opening and forcing them to either take the hits or turtle and be grabbed. DHD's throws aren't very good but it makes sense considering the sheer number of free grabs you can set yourself up for.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
If i see one more reply about people white-knighting and using DHD different from "the norm" just to be different, I'll freak out.

seriously. spamming with DHD is a good tactic. pressuring with this spam combined with fairs, bairs and grabs is even better. however, if you try to play DHD purposely as a melee-only character, you are doing that to yourself.

Last edited:

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
If i see one more reply about people white-knighting and using DHD different from "the norm" just to be different, I'll freak out.

seriously. spamming with DHD is a good tactic. pressuring with this spam combined with fairs, bairs and grabs is even better. however, if you try to play DHD purposely as a melee-only character, you are doing that to yourself.
If you're frequently going to sudden death, you are likely spamming. Ppl are 'white-knighting' because it's BS, Duck Hunt Dog has moves aside from B & Side-B

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
Challenge:
Play DH for 25 matches without using his Neutral, Down, or Side-B.

Point:
Learning how to use DH's other tools first before learning his zoning game makes you a better player. Then once you find an opponent who knows how to get around your zoning, you have options other than "Get Stuffed".

Example:
When learning Snake in Brawl (or Samus in Melee), you could camp and zone like crazy, but unless you know everything about their close-range toolset, you'd get rocked by the aggressive playstyles.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
Challenge:
Play DH for 25 matches without using his Neutral, Down, or Side-B.

Point:
Learning how to use DH's other tools first before learning his zoning game makes you a better player. Then once you find an opponent who knows how to get around your zoning, you have options other than "Get Stuffed".

Example:
When learning Snake in Brawl (or Samus in Melee), you could camp and zone like crazy, but unless you know everything about their close-range toolset, you'd get rocked by the aggressive playstyles.
Thank you sir, there are so many newbies on the Smash 4 threads...It's good to see someone who knows more about competitive play than just Meta Knight being top tier (in Brawl).

Last edited:
Top Bottom