• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else get extremely frustrated at this game?

❤ Nikodemus05

Zero Skill Spamus
NNID
Nikodemus05
3DS FC
3952-7737-9671
In every other smash game excluding brawl, I can get JV5'd over and over and understand that it's my fault for losing and that the opponent was the better player. In sm4sh this is the complete opposite case. I have around 2000 hours in sm4sh and I still continuously lose to roll spammers and the bull**** gimmicks this game has. Why does the gameplay feel so cheap in this one compared to others? I'm not trying to turn this into a rant, but it's hard to keep playing this game. How do you guys keep making strides and playing as Samus? Her issues don't help either.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Are you playing a lot of For Glory? Roll spammers benefit more from the FG environment than they do in offline environments. Samus doesn't have a ton of tools for punishing rolls unless you're seriously expecting it and have a fully charged CS. Her dsmash isn't what it was in melee. Basically, lots of weird stuff can happen online because of lag. If you're having trouble offline, then I'm not sure what to say because I rarely encounter weird stuff that determines games offline. A lot of weird stuff happens on certain stages like Lylat, Delfino and Halberd. Don't forget Castle Siege either. Don't forget that Samus is just bad in this game. She's missing hitboxes where she ought to have them, her frame data is trash, and she basically has no grab.

Glyphagos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphagos
3DS FC
0490-7952-6058
For Glory is trash, dump it and try Anther's ladder, They follow by tourney standards and it's an excellent way to train yourself for tournaments if you do plan on it.

It's also helpful to find your local scene and play with them on offline battles.

But for personal experience yes this game can be frustrating, I don't really use Samus much I use her more as a pocket to counter Luigi since I am a ZSS main by heart, it is easy however to punish rollspammers with Samus so I have more troubled with ZSS compared to Samus when it comes to rollspamming on FG. But it's been a while since I've played on FG because it's just trash and I've probably changed a lot.

That's just my opinion.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Spam bomb against roll spammers. It's hilarious.

That said, I'm very frustrated with Samus right now. I've been letting my son pick who I play as and it makes me mad when I go back to Samus. I've made similar posts before but other characters in general have good stuff going for them (or if you'd like this highlights Samus' weaknesses):

1) Functional usmash. Yes Samus got a little buff to her tragic usmash, it's still pretty bad though. Literally every single other character in the game has a more functional usmash than Samus even after the patch. Even animations like Roy's, Mewtwo's, ROB's, Villager's, Megaman's, etc. have scooping hitboxes to put small characters into the sweet spot.

2) Rolling doesn't open them up to a 14 frame punish window that literally opens up at the perfect time to challenge on reaction. They aren't forced to use SHAD (although many characters don't even have it as an offensive option some do, like Marth/Lucina and Olimar).

3) Dsmash that kills or actually has good coverage. Samus' does neither.

4) All moves are safe on hit. This isn't quite totally true, some characters do have moves that are unsafe on hit, but Samus has at least two, jab1 and ftilt sour spot. That's just harsh since those are the main tools in CQC to get some breathing room. She has more if you include the fact that fair can be interrupted by some characters as low percents and that people can fall out of usmash and punish.

5) Shield grab is a powerful option against virtually all non crossed up and arguably poorly spaced aerials (true for about 75% of the cast). A whiffed grab doesn't give your opponent enough time to falcon punch you.

6) Multihit aerials self connect better. No one falls out of ROB's uair, or Sheik's uair, or.... Uair often misses the last hit because the hitbox is smaller; opponents often fall out of fair even with good offensive DI.

Then, after I play other characters and I am just smoothly doing what is intuitive, I go back to Samus and I have to remember not to roll and use SHAD, and not to use usmash (for the most part), and to use dtilt more than dsmash, and to space my ftilt to avoid my sour spot, and to only use jab1 after my opponent is at about 30% and to only string it into jab2 at 60%, and to use upb OoS instead of shield grab, and to avoid SH fair, and to angle my fsmash down if I want a more reliable hitbox, and to use uair instead of nair to break combos. #justsamusstuff

Last edited:
Top Bottom